Day 1 smoke free! (again)

Xernicus

So I dipped and smoked a while in my younger days. Desperately wanted to quit because I had been on one for or another for several years. let's keep that from my insurance company please. When I decided to quit, for the last time btw (17 years or so - lost count), I did a few things all together and never went back. I'll share if you're interested:

1. Started taking Wellbutrin (took it for a couple of years)
  2. Got hypnotized (threw the pack away immediately following the session)
  3. Heeded the advice from another former smoker - "You're only a puff away from a pack a day." There used to be that thought, it's just one and I won't smoke again after. Nope, doesn't work that way, and we all know it.

Best of luck! I encourage everyone that wants to do it because you will be healthier, happier, and everything will taste better!

• Like 3
  • Love 1
  • 100 1

19 minutes ago, Gameplan said:

Best of luck! I encourage everyone that wants to do it because you will be healthier, happier, and everything will taste better!

And you won't smell like an ashtray lol

For me, after roughly 30 years of smoking ciggs (among other things) i quit cold turkey and have been smoke free 18+ months. You don't realize the physical affects smoking has on your body until you quit. Climbing stairs, riding a bike, coughing and hacking.

Do I miss it? Sure, whenever I have a beer or I'm socializing with people who smoke. But I dont let myself dwell on smoking long enough to want one. 

Kudos Xernicus and Gameplan! It ain't easy.

• Like 4
  • Love 1
  • 100 1

Try a mint cigarette, they are so gross I was never tempted to even try to start smoking lol! (besides that time I suppose because I wanted a joint but was in a foreign country and that's the "best" I could find xD)

Good luck with your adventure!

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

just reading all that made me reach for a smoke!!!lol

im also in the same place  i think alot about quiting and still puffin on em.. had a guy at work tell me i used to smoke just like u .. one right after another.....

and he switched too snus . an it worked hes been quit for 4 yrs. props to anyone who can pull off quiting. 

my step father  smoked alot and quit yrs ago. 40 yrs or so..cold turkey.. he always tells me this  u got to want to quit  for it to work.. and also the easier part is quiting.. but staying quit is not so easy.. hopefully someday ull see me posting i quit..  good luck xern...!!!!!

• Like 3

I'm on month 8 or 9 now of quitting cold turkey, in a way Covid lock downs have helped a lot but i still think about smoking a lot and instead of a smoke i eat instead so am getting fat. 😄

Benefits wise?? well other than the smell no longer lingering on my clothes etc i've not really noticed any health benefits, i'm not in the best of health physically anyway and take lots of meds so its not like i'm ever going to be fit and healthy in that sense, smoke or no smoke.

Financially i'm better off and the one main thing i have noticed is my taste is now better than it was when i smoked....downside to that is some things i used to eat i no longer eat as they taste horrid. 😄

I'm at the point now where even on the days where all i think about is having a smoke i wont as i don't want to ruin it for myself...... I think that is the key tbh, do it for you and no one else, that way your only ever going to let yourself down and remind yourself of that when you feel like sparking one up

I think anyone who gives up, even if its only a day should be proud.

• Like 5
  • Haha 1

I reached day 3!!! 😄 Not even a single craving, snus is working great for me.
Thanks to all for your support ❤️

Now I'm working on cutting back from one portion per hour to one every two or three hours. :)

• Like 1
  • Love 1

I did smoke little cigars and was able to quit when i came sick and had sore throath for couple days. Wasnt able to smoke because my throath. Once i came healthy again, i just decided that all candies and food taste better when no smoking cigars. So i stop, First year was difficult, because you are slave of habbits. After every meal, i wanted to smoke one small cigar. Ofc smokes are a lot harder to quit, but i wish you strenght to stop smoking. No clue what was "vaping" what you was talking in first verse 😛 but anyway Good luck mate! 

• Thanks 1

Well, hello dear friends, hey Xernicus, so, i am 45 old, i started smoker whem i was 11 years with my grandmother....my last cigarrete was 20 years ago.. marllboro .... i was smoker 2 box for day, and now, what i can tell you, dont fall in tentation... be strong, resist, the life will be better for you... today i can feel the smell of my meats, my bacon, my parfum, i can feel the flowrs etc.... before, nothing. So, stay strong, dont give down....i hope you can win this challenge .... i belive you..... good luck, a big hug by daddy...

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

My friend use to smoke a lot , somehow I lured him into  jogging with me .  It took 2 months , he stopped stopped smoking automatically as he wanted to go faster . 

• Like 1
  • Love 1

Wow its so awesome to see people tried and got success in quitting. I do smoke and as everyone i try to quit but not full heartly. I like smoking i smoke the clove cigarette . I used to smoke 5 to 6 per day but lockdown and work from home made it 3 . But sometimes it goes 4 or 5 but not regularly, i m trying to reduce it to 3 and 2 and 1 . But dam when i smoke it feel so relax and so calm feeling.

Kudos to all those who shared the stories above and got success. I hope i find something alternate to this so i can quit.

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

Hey Xernicus, I hope you held on.

On 9/24/2020 at 12:17 AM, Gameplan said:

Got hypnotized (threw the pack away immediately following the session)

Yes it could really help for more responsive peoples.

All of the addictions may come from the mind, this need to fill emptiness. But at the end you're still lonely, maybe more.

For me that's not a weakness to try to subsitute it, That's like love, difficult to forget someone if you don't have somebody else to love.. ( and that could be yourself first, find you back)

Just need to found something make you so fine that you don't have to fight not thinking at cigs. 

But it's matter of balance, to not turn addict into another ..

I wish you all to be brave against this thing you don't really need !

• Like 2

I was a smoker for 23 years glad to say going on 10 yrs without... I stopped using a system of using patches I would use full patch for say 3 weeks then cut them into halves for another 1-2 weeks then halves once more and wallaa. Success! I feel better breath better but chew more gum :) But i wish all that try to quit success it's not a easy road but keep the faith stay positive and you will achieve success.

• Like 2
  • Love 1
  • 100 2