Goodbye, old friend.

Xiahou Dun

My 11'th birthday was coming soon. Me and my mom went to the pet rescue centre, and there I saw you for the first time. I yelled to my mom "Look Mom, a Samoyed!". We asked the lady there that this is the dog we wanna take with us. She told us, that she was dead set on NOT giving the dog away to another family with a kid, because he was taken as a "cute puppy" for birthday present for a little girl, and when he grew bigger, they dropped him off. Turns out, even your breed was cast aside by humans sometimes. But when the lady saw my enthusiasm, and me knowing what breed of the dog I was looking at, she decided it's okay for us to be your new parents. I named you Shane. But you were not a good boy.

My birthday. Lots of family members came, and saw you. And even though you were betrayed by humans once, you were so grateful for your new home, and happy to see new faces. You were so calm and seemed to enjoy being praised by the rest of the family. We both got presents, and that was the best day of my life. But you were not a good boy.

Your 5th "gotcha day" with us. I'm not sure how much you understood, but you were so happy and seemingly you got the fact, that it was your special day. Always shedding your fur around the house, you loved to get brushed and then spin around and spread your fur everywhere again. We started collecting your fur and a friend of my mother started doing scarfs for charity from it. But you were not a good boy.

When I moved to my own house, you came with me. And I was never so grateful for your company, as I was that day. After my parents left the house, the situation hit me. I was living on my own now, adult life, new responsibilities. But you were there with me, so I wasn't all alone. Although were getting old, you enjoyed the new setting. Lots of new things to sniff, new places to lie down and new views outside the window. Overall, you took the whole moving thing better than I did. But you were not a good boy.

Your hips are not in the best shape. You are now almost 12 years old, which is an old age for a dog to be. You whimper when you move to your bowl, and I have to carry you around, or outside when we go for a walk. You seem to enjoy being stuck with me in the home during the quarantine, because I can be there with you all day. You wag your tail when you look at me and I give you treats, you seemingly never get bored of chewing on the meat sticks. But you were not a good boy.

Your vet says I may have to consider putting you down. At first I cease to even think about it, but when I see you whimper as you try to get to the water bowl, the reality hits me like a truck. You don't know the struggle I'm going through, but you seemingly feel something is wrong, and despite having problems with walking, you come to me and gently boop me with your nose. But you were not a good boy.

I'm sitting in my home, feeling nothing. Earlier today, I thought that maybe it doesn't have to happen. But seeing you whimper on your walk, I carry you back home and call your vet. I get you on the table, I keep petting you and holding your paw, making sure you're not scared or  feeling left alone. The man in white coat tells me, that while he loves his job, moments like these haunt him for weeks after. You close your eyes and I know you're in no pain anymore. But you were not a good boy.

You were the best companion and friend I could've ever asked for. You were there waiting for me everyday, and your "samoyed smile" never failed to make me smile too. But today I'm all out of smiles. And now you're gone, and I can't stop crying.

I'll see you on the other side of the Rainbow Bridge, friend. I'll be eternally grateful for your presence in my life, and I will never forget you. Because you were not a good boy. You were the best boy.

• Sad 35

Bro, i´m so sorry for you, mean it. I hope you get better soon. 

It´s really sad to lost someone. If you need to talk, my pm is open for you. Always. 

See you in game, buddy. Take care.

• Thanks 1

Ooh goosh maate... I am very sorry for the loss, I sympathize with you because I know what it is like to lose someone especially if it is about the dearest pets who have always been with you and have feelings just like us. I don't know what to tell you anymore, believe me, he will always be remembered no matter what you do. We will always remember Shane ...

Love you buddy, keep head's up, anything needed, support, talk, make sure to contact me. 😐😢

• Thanks 1

Sorry for your loss mate. 

I have Read all your words until I have felt that I have lost my own best friend... 

All my thoughts with you... 

Edited by GHARIB
  • Thanks 1

I'm sorry to hear this. I feel your pain and loss man. It takes time when you lose your best friend :(

A lot of people get a memorial tattoo of their pet after they pass. just a thought.   As tough as it was, you did the right thing. 

• Thanks 1

What an amazing story, you remember the day you got that beauty and gave him the best life possible from that day onwards! I'm sorry for your loss mate.

Just heartbreaking 💔

• Thanks 1

I am very sorry for your loss buddy. Reading that brought a tear to my eyes bringing back old memories of the pets I have lost and my recent loss of my Grandmother. If you ever need to talk feel free The Clown will always be there for you as well as the entire =FA= familyRecovery Sorry For Your Loss GIF

• Thanks 1