ET BEGINNERS #2 Why KR Should be Removed from Beg2 Server

Hitch

4 hours ago, zrong said:

I didn't ask to remove nothing. I don't even care about it. No one replied to OP when I as online so I gave him a quick response to his question and how it works, basically what others did meanwhile. 

Trying to help the user. Sorry about that. I'll keep that in mind for the future, thanks for your suggestion! 

No worries mate, thanks for replying. We're all just having a discussion here :)

So far there has been a lot of interesting points. I think Phantom's point is spot on, the server needs some subtle changes to make it more enjoyable and less of an ego trip for some players even if that doesn't mean removing KR. If the changes don't work, you can always revert back to what it was before.

• Like 1

I can see how this is turning into b2 to hc type of topic. The discussion is about kr, not removing weapons or adding/decreasing damage. B2 is a beginners server, ment for beginners and for fun, hence the settings. We have other servers for more "serious" gaming with the settings asked and more.

Discussion is about if removing or changing the kr would maybe courage ppl to actually play some objectives as a team instead of fragging the shit out of newbies and emptying the server.

Also I am not sure if we're affort on trial and fail with some changes, as player wise, as yet most of the active players left are atm with kr 3-8.

Edited by RendeL
  • Thanks 1
  • 100 3

27 minutes ago, RendeL said:

I can see how this is turning into b2 to hc type of topic. The discussion is about kr, not removing weapons or adding/decreasing damage. B2 is a beginners server, ment for beginners and for fun, hence the settings. We have other servers for more "serious" gaming with the settings asked and more.

Discussion is about if removing or changing the kr would maybe courage ppl to actually play some objectives as a team instead of fragging the shit out of newbies and emptying the server.

Also I am not sure if we're affort on trial and fail with some changes, as player wise, as yet most of the active players left are atm with kr 3-8.

I get that but most of us play on Beg2 because it's the only silent server with a decent ping for us Europeans. 

HC and Silent1 are both very good servers for more serious players but you can definitely feel the difference playing with a 100+ ping. 

And then there's the undeniable fact that there are virtually no beginners/rookies as the game has been out for almost 20 years. 

• Like 2
  • 100 1

2 hours ago, PHNTM said:

you can definitely feel the difference playing with a 100+ ping. 

Yes you can, but you will get used to it. I play in Jay1 and Silent1 with ~120 ping all the time. It's not that bad once you get used to it.  You are right that there are virtually no beginners/rookies but instead lots of players who are still lacking basic skills like movement and jumping and overall game awerness. How many players are utilizing double-jump to its full potential (wall jumping in supply, fueldump, etc)? Not that many. And there are always lots of players in allies who take the truck to the first gate immediately  in supply depot providing good cover for axis.

Edited by HarryAimpotter

1 hour ago, HarryAimpotter said:

Yes you can, but you will get used to it. I play in Jay1 and Silent1 with ~120 ping all the time. It's not that bad once you get used to it.  You are right that there are virtually no beginners/rookies but instead lots of players who are still lacking basic skills like movement and jumping and overall game awerness. How many players are utilizing double-jump to its full potential (wall jumping in supply, fueldump, etc)? Not that many. And there is always lots of players in allies who take the truck to the first gate imminently in supply depot.

Considering how few people actually even use sprint button, I also challenge statement that there are no rookies left 😄

• 100 1

41 minutes ago, Rhand said:

Considering how few people actually even use sprint button, I also challenge statement that there are no rookies left 😄

Well, those are not rookies those are just bad players who don't give a toss about getting any better.

• Administrators
21 hours ago, zrong said:

I didn't ask to remove nothing. I don't even care about it. No one replied to OP when I as online so I gave him a quick response to his question and how it works, basically what others did meanwhile. 

Trying to help the user. Sorry about that. I'll keep that in mind for the future, thanks for your suggestion! 

My response was not only to you but to all. I appreciate the help and feedback but sometimes players need to understand not everything is under our control. I 100% agree with that fact that system is no where perfect. Problem can't be solved by finding more problems in it. 

We have a problem on hand and I am hoping someone will 'create' the solution for it. 

On 9/14/2020 at 5:28 AM, Dest!Ny said:

I don't know how much is possible with LUA. Personally I would like the idea of MinMax scaling the KR and PRW of the people in the session and adding those values together and shuffle on that

With time and effort a lot. silent mod LUA API: https://mygamingtalk.com/wiki/Silent_Lua

Sorry for being of no help rather then sharing obvious URL. 

• Like 2

15 minutes ago, daredevil said:

With time and effort a lot. silent mod LUA API: https://mygamingtalk.com/wiki/Silent_Lua

I worked hard on this one. I couldn't find a method to smoothly shuffle players. Technically possible to ref move players, which makes the whistle noise, so I don't think you want to do a bunch of at once, or with the !put command where there's actually a buffer so you really don't want to. Then with either of them you have string character limits to worry about too, which is potentially a problem with 40+ players. I would love to see someone figure it out, though.

9 hours ago, PHNTM said:

And then there's the undeniable fact that there are virtually no beginners/rookies as the game has been out for almost 20 years. 

ill correct you on that we most certainly do see quite a lot of rookies and beginners  i mean google free pc games you will find ET keyword is free as long as its free we will have new player.

5 hours ago, daredevil said:

My response was not only to you but to all. I appreciate the help and feedback but sometimes players need to understand not everything is under our control. I 100% agree with that fact that system is no where perfect. Problem can't be solved by finding more problems in it. 

We have a problem on hand and I am hoping someone will 'create' the solution for it. 

Sorry for being of no help rather then sharing obvious URL. 

Fair enough, still don't understand why quote me.

Unfortunately, I can't help with LUA, I wish I could, and seems nobody can for a long time. (To find something that handles with damage given/received).

Anyway, my OPINION not INFO for a temporary workaround for the issue of OP, not alone it seems, on THAT server should be:

g_shuffle_rating 2

g_killRating 0

g_playerRating 0

Even though I know you're not too keen to change server settings. I believe it worth a shot.

Edited by zrong
Forgot to put my glasses on *not joking*
  • Like 1

29 minutes ago, zrong said:

g_shuffle_rating 2

Use player XP
2 Use the rate at which players have gained XP since connecting.
3 Use the killRating (g_killRating must be nonzero)
4 Use the playerRating (g_playerRating must be nonzero)

Use the playerRating (g_playerRating must be nonzero), but take the map into account and give the teams closest to 50/50

imo XP count wouldnt really help the situation, especially since Panzer kills can = a lot of XP per kill 

Edited by bLade.

• 3 weeks later...

A sort of compromise that could be reached would be to keep KR and continue using it for balancing purposes, but not display it publicly or make it so, that you can only query your own KR via console, and not see those of others (unless you are an admin).

I do see both sides of the debate. On one side you have the problem that global stats tracking and a leaderboard of sorts makes people play more for stats, less for the general objective of the game. Also it gives people the opportunity to taunt others who have lower KRs. Those are not ET-specific problems, you encounter them in all shooters that I know of.

On the other side, there are a lot of people that want to have some sort of 'objective' measure of how they are doing and by which they might be able to track progress. ET servers unfortunately are not as packed as they used to and although I would prefer it for everybody to play the objective, I do not believe we should put off those who just want to frag and push their KR.

Making it so that you can still query your own KR would still allow for having a 'visible' progress bar but it might reduce the taunting, harrassing and arrogant behavior of some.

I don't propose to change it for good one way or the other. Many things sound good in theory but fail in practice. Instead I would change it for test purposes for a week, look how it goes and then make a decision judged on the findings, all while corresponding with people here in the forums as well on the server.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 3
  • 100 2

• 1 month later...

Hi.  Killing rate is by no means a skill level.  Actually, this is not a determinant in my opinion.  You can have a killing rate of 10 and be one of the best.  There is no rule for this.  Mixing players by killing rate also doesn't make much sense.  The best solution would be for the admin to know the players and assign, for example, the best 4-6 of them to the opposing teams.  Greetings

• Like 1
  • 100 2

• 1 month later...