vaccination yes or no and why ..

captnconcrete

just curious  ,, i believe in vaccination. 

and reason i do is  becuz   of the proof i see. 

no more small pox no more measles   most all are way down or not around becuz of vaccinations .

i also dont believe  vaccines cause autism or any stupid stuff like that.  i would love to hear your thoughts and reasoning behind ur thoughts..

i how ever do not want to debate on it.. just curious.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2
  • 100 1

Don't know enough about pharmacology or immunotherapy to make any serious points, but I can say that I believe in vaccines.

I've never gotten chickenpox, the measles, HPV, or tetanus now matter how many cuts I've gotten from nasty rusty sheet metal. Nobody hardly ever got sick in school.
I choose not to get a flu vaccine, but I've paid the price for that one... Got the swine flu, turned into pneumonia... was sick for months.

• Like 1

"Prevention is always better than cure" - thats what medical science believes

Its not that vaccination is good... Its that vaccinations are necessary...

1. Prevention of diseases in childhood which are extremely necessary as our bodies immune system is not ready to combat the infections

2. Some vaccines reduce the chance of complications... Eg- like tuberculosis if without a vaccine in childhood can later complicate from lung tb to brain or bone tb

3. In the current scenario its becoming more and more important...

New strains of bacteria and viruses are emerging... which are getting resistant to our regular antibiotics...

Vaccines are basically the bacteria but it is chemically inactivated or by heat it is killed, is introduced into our bodies... These bacteria do not cause infection but our body responds to it as foreign particles and our immune system gets activated... We have a special type of immune cell called "memory B cell" which recognises the information and keeps it for future use...

Now in future if the same bacteria causes infection our memory b cells will get active and produce antibodies to combat the infection without any delay

• Like 3
  • 100 1

Vaccines were developed to protect us and save our lives. 

Thousends/hundred thousands of people worked on getting cure to certain things. And now we have today's vaccines, which work pretty well. 

Science has never been perfect, and science can't cure everything perfectly, however it is much better than literally nothing. 

Yes, there is a type of vaccine, you get it when you are a child, when you get infected with weakened desease, so you can prepare for it when you really need the protection. 

So in a way @Leatherface your point is not valid. With certain vaccines the body gets desease, which it cures, and later it can't be infected ever again with same desease.

In other way you are right, that the body should have a strong immune system that you develop from getting sick and winning that battle against intruders. Sometimes we can vaccinate, sometimes we not. Vaccines are good against certain thing, not against everything. 

So in short. Vaccination is necessary especially for young children against serious deseases. Also can be for adults. They are not the perfect and ultimate solution, but far better than nothing. And they don't cause autism... 

So that was my opinion about vaccines are good or useful or not 

• Thanks 1
  • 100 1

• 1 month later...

Honestly we are most likely under vaccinating, both in America and Europe. We use to believe vaccinating conferred life long immunity/resistance. Numerous studies show this belief is wrong, especially when we are talking about vaccines that use a "Dead" virus, which is most of them. I'll use the example of polio, as that is a vaccine that has both a dead and live version, although most vaccines never had, or no longer have a live version produced. Never the less, the widespread belief of life long immunity is commonly held, even within the medical community. After all, there are only a couple 100rd cases of measles seen every year in America, and those usually among vaccinated populations. Most Doctors/Nurses/Paramedics likely have never seen a case, I know I have not in 16 years in EMS, including a year spent in Iraq, where such diseases were far more common then in the States. 

The advantage of a dead virus is there is zero chance you can catch say "polio" from the vaccine. Dead virus cells are injected, your bodies immune system responds and builds anti-bodies to the virus the same as if it was alive, and if you ever encounter it, is far less likely you'll contract the disease.  We know however, that the IPV vaccine (dead, injected) is less effective then the OPV (alive, oral). Dead Vaccines have far fewer side effects.

The advantages of a live (weakened), or related [in the case of small pox vaccines, you actually are given cow pox]) is that it confers a stronger immunity, that studies slow lasts longer and may actually be life long. It can also spread in the wild the same way that disease would normally spreads, so for example, some middle eastern countries had a polio outbreak a few years ago. Israeli switched from the safer IPV to the OPV because they felt that with Polio spreading, the lower level of protection provided by IPV was not acceptable. Disadvantages of live viruses are higher incidence of side effects, in the case of OPV that includes a small chance of crippling mobility similar to wild polio.  The US Military response was to require an IPV booster shot for all soldiers, even if they had it as a child. IMO: This should become the standard for all vaccines, with boosters being given for MMR the same way we do for Tetanus, every 10 years, with a booster given if you are exposed after 5 years.  

That said, there are some vaccines I do not allow my children to have. HPV, because properly safe sexual practices make it unnecessary. Chicken Pox (varicella is the name of the vaccine) because it is not a fatal disease, just unpleasant, in children. Additionally, studies in Japan have shown it is effective for only a couple years, and it is really only commonly given in the US and Canada, with many European counties not including it in their list of routine vaccinations. Catching it as a late teen, or adult can be fatal, and for males can lead to sterility. It would be better for my children to catch it when young, and if I happen to find out someone's kid has it, my boys will be spending time at their house so they can join in the fun, just as my mother did for me and my sister. I have high hopes for this, as the Amish community in my areas tends to vaccinate only when there is a high risk (such as missionary work) or an outbreak of something serious, which doesn't include chicken pox in their opinion. 

*My father never caught chickenpox as a child, despite all four of his sisters having it. He did not come home for about a month. interestingly my sister caught chicken poxs badly, I never got a spot, despite being locked in a room with my neighbors boys for several days, and then some kids from Church a week or so later. As an adult I had bloodwork drawn to show immunity, required for my job, and I had a positive varicella titer. I suspect my father would have had one as well, and we the male line of my family just happens to have a mild reaction to chicken pox). 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I have always been vaccinated and my 17 year old daughter has too. 

I think that all children should have vaccines and those who don't because of their parents lack of understanding or warped beliefs should be forced to have them.

Saying that though i  used to have my flu jab but stopped a few years back and have not had a chest infection since...When i had the jab each year i ended up with a chest infection.....make of that as you will but overall i believe vaccines like polio, MMR, pox etc etc should be compulsory.

• Love 1

• Leader

I have read of what is called "Herd Immunity", where if enough people in a group are immune to a disease, then it is much less likely to spread to others in that group.

Some schoolchildren cannot be vaccinated for some diseases because they are already battling an illness where the treatments suppress their immune systems.  Some vaccinations do not confer immunity to some people.  There are vulnerable people in any group, even in this modern age of available prevention.

I was born just after the Polio vaccine was developed.  Parents no longer had to feel the "Summers of Dread" and the onset of Polio season.  There are a few people still living in Iron Lungs to this day.

On 12/17/2019 at 3:53 PM, RedBaird said:

I have read of what is called "Herd Immunity", where if enough people in a group are immune to a disease, then it is much less likely to spread to others in that group.

Some schoolchildren cannot be vaccinated for some diseases because they are already battling an illness where the treatments suppress their immune systems.  Some vaccinations do not confer immunity to some people.  There are vulnerable people in any group, even in this modern age of available prevention.

I was born just after the Polio vaccine was developed.  Parents no longer had to feel the "Summers of Dread" and the onset of Polio season.  There are a few people still living in Iron Lungs to this day.

the Father of Girl in my college English class had Polio. He had to be one of the Last people in America. 

Edited by RedBaird
extracted Medic Kane's reply from the Quote.
  • Sad 1

• 4 months later...

I'm up for vaccines because the principle of how they work isn't harmful in any way and has proven to be helpful. Don't even know where all the crazy conspiracy theories have come from about vaccines, but with new one about 5G causing corona, nothing really surprises me anymore