Favorite "Programming" Language and Why?

St0rmSlaSh

Well, as @ChaOs, my favorite languages are script languages - especialy related to web (php, javascript...)

But I like python, which is quiet powerful and useful to help me to manage some stuffs in my job.

On 1/20/2021 at 11:48 PM, Chef<3 said:

Nah nevermind, my "Hello World" applications are cool !

@Chef<3 Try find what language is this ( it is not python :D)

@RedBaird shhhh, you are not allowed to say , I know that you know 😆

10 CLS
20 COLOR 2
30 PRINT "Hello, world!"
40 END

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

2 hours ago, GHARIB said:

Well, as @ChaOs, my favorite languages are script languages - especialy related to web (php, javascript...)

But I like python, which is quiet powerful and useful to help me to manage some stuffs in my job.

@Chef<3 Try find what language is this ( it is not python :D)

10 CLS
20 COLOR 2
30 PRINT "Hello, world!"
40 END

Good old Basic.  Brings back memories 

• 100 2

• Leader
3 hours ago, GHARIB said:

Ohohoh

BASIC.!!! 

That was a joke, son!  I should copy some old programs here, doing so much work to get so little done, but FAST, FAST, FAST!

BTW, you were right.  I did know. 😄 

Edited by RedBaird
  • Haha 2

On 1/30/2021 at 8:05 AM, GHARIB said:

10 CLS
20 COLOR 2
30 PRINT "Hello, world!"
40 END

Should scrap END as the funs over then. Can also remove the clearscreen as it wont be needed if it repeats the print in a loop.

So can have less in general

10 PRINT "Snuffs is great!"

20 GOTO 10

RUN

Haha basic i love, first language i ever learnt on my commodore C16 +4......spent about 3 days writing out basic code that when run would draw a wire framed donut. 😄 Only a donut but in the 80's it was a fooking awesome donut.

Learnt a few at college including Unix, pascal, cobol and C then moved on to C++ and the likes of python etc. Favourite is always gonna be basic though, cos its the first i learnt and is ...well basic.

• Like 2
  • Love 1
  • 100 1

• 1 year later...
  • 3 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

started taking online courses via freecodecamp and codecademy - been enjoying the learning process!

for learning purposes, I am super glad I started with Python - widely used and easy to understand. 

• Like 1

• 3 months later...

Allow me to perform necromancy....

I think the choice of language is primarily determined by your situation and the task at hand.

For example, need to jam together a script to do some moderately complicated scripting? You could use Bash, but the syntax will make you cry, so maybe Python. The REPL is super nice for iterative development.

Maybe you need to build a CLI tool for your shiny new API? Golang (Cobra) is the best choice, imo.

Building a distributed system that needs good Kafka compatibility? I'd pick Java.

Otherwise, take a look at your team. If you have a ton of folks who are very familiar with Python, maybe chose that over Golang (assuming performance is not critical), as the end product may be written much faster.

A concrete example:

My team was tasked with writing an API for a new distributed compute platform. We initially chose Java, as that was what I had been using before, and two of my teammates also. We ended up porting to Golang, because the majority of our new (much broader) team knew Go, and did not know Java, and since the performance was basically a wash, we chose the language most likely to garner contributions from the broader team.

There are good and bad things about every language, even the traditional whipping boy PHP - a lot of folks pick up PHP as their first language, and denigrating it is like spitting in the face of those folks. I wouldn't personally choose to work with PHP or node.JS, but I don't fault those who do.

• Like 1