Do you have an interesting job?

SunSet

I have had many interesting jobs.

1.  Xray technologist

2.  CT Scan Tech

3.  MRI Tech

I volunteer with the Sheriffs office here in the Search and Rescue patrol as a tracker. (25 years or so)

But I had some jobs that were great learning opportunities.

1.  Built mobile homes

2.  Auto mechanic

3.  Bass Player in a working band

4.  Lead guitar player in a band.

5.  Owned my own PC computer business

6.  Owned a PC manufacturing center.

I loved every job I ever did. 

When I was in the 7th grade, I ran the projectors at this local movie house in Bly Oregon in 1964.

28v7xbt.jpg

My very first real job was a stock boy at a local market when I was in high school.

Edited by Ol' Smoke
  • Like 6

Yeah well manila convention get them min. 8 months contract, and ofc they are like 50% cheaper for shipowners. Well there are still some companies on EU flag that allow europian crew contracts like 6 months ( on Antlanthips for AB 6 month is minimal and that is for europian guy) + if you have good credits on ship you can extend your contract. But that is extremely rare, you would have to have good connections with fleet manager.. On my fathers previous ship (greek tankers) he's a captain, there were no philipinos, but chinese and egyptians. Wich surprised me. They are even morencheaper than philipino crew but as my father said lazy asses:D on my previous ship we had freefall boat testing, two of our members ended up with broken shoulder and fractured skull. Those belts were 'eaten' by something. We did have drills on evey ship I have been on, like firefightining, MOB or as from recentk its not man over board but PERSON over board, than we had drills for piracy attacks and bomb(suspicious object) inside the ship. But when it comes to putting down rescue boats, they just testing batteries and engine. Sadly, but it's like that on many companys where my friends are at..

That's right, they are much cheaper, that is why it's hard now to get a job for European. Sometime you must wait 2 months for answer with job (but how to live till that time without money). On shore I get less money but at least I have good and solid job. You're right that in these days you have to have good connections with fleet managers to get a contract.
Your father said truth, some other nationality are very lazy and I experienced it on my inspections :) and they earn less money than philipino cause since last few years philipino sailors get very strong work unions who are fighting for their rights.
It's sad that the alarms on vessels are done so incompetent because it's for their safety. Sometimes on my inspection I meet third officers who dont know how to lower the boat, how to connect hook to boat, etc. Last Monday I was on the ship where the drinking water in 4 big 20 liters barrels was inside the free fall boat when the temperature on North Sea and Baltic Sea is under 0. And of course all water was frozen. When I asked, what would you drink during ship's abandon; he just shrugged his shoulder :)
  • Like 2

My job is.... NOTHING!!! But, I just turned the age in my state where I can apply at a grocery store and be a bagger :P But then after a couple of years, I want to be an indie game developer, or to work for a video game company being a programmer :D

• 3 weeks later...

My first job was at an animal shelter with cats and dogs. It wasn't that interesting, but I do love animals, especially dogs so I didn't mind all the cleaning and taking care of the dogs. I've never really had a love for cats (both my parents dislike cats, so I've heard a lot of negativity about cats) but I don't share the same opinion as them. Cats are pretty nice too - as long as they don't scratch me or something... I prefer dogs, especially the bigger ones.
Even though it wasn't really theoretically challenging, I liked working with the animals. The people, meh. I didn't like them that much. But that's why I liked working with the animals, working in a supermarket wouldn't be the right place for me at all.

My second job was at a microbiological laboratory (they wanted to keep me there during the holidays, it was my first internship place) and I loved it. I am very precise and accurate and I like to know how stuff exactly works and how stuff reacts, so I really liked it there. The other analysts were super nice and kind and I have had a really good time there! I am a really really shy person, but after a while I felt like home there. I did my work well, helped others and I kept learning things. I actually did all the analysez (a lot!), except te reports and PCR for Legionella, which was even more than some other analysts. I wish I could go back again, haha. But I am still a student, so that doesn't work.

This summer I will work at another microbiological laboratory, my second internship place also wanted to keep me there during the holidays as well. It's less 'intelligence challenging', but I can do everything there. It is a small lab, which fits me perfectly. It has not as much analyzes as the other lab I have worked at, but instead of that I learned to detect Salmonella with the PCR. Besides that, I also helped at the chemistry lab if they needed some help. I have done almost all the chemical analyzes there, but I still prefer working with micro-organisms, although the chemical tests are also pretty interesting. Yes. I like science.

When I am done with school, I need to find a job. Oh gosh, I am not ready for that xD.

• Like 2

• Platinum VIP

I've had so many jobs it's crazy.

After I was in the army:

Iron Worker

Steeple Jack.

Carpenter

Truck Driver owner/operator.

Production for 6 Flags.

Home improvement sales

Specialty advertising sales.

Graphic designer.

And now, Certified Field Trainer/Technician for Dish Network.

I've also own some businesses, which unfortunately were not very successful lol

Deck and patio company.

Remodeling company

Property management.

Club booking and promotions

Trucking business

All of that and I'm still broke lol

Edited by -=HipKat=-

After I was in the army:

Iron Worker

Steeple Jack.

Carpenter

Production for 6 Flags.

Home improvement sales

Graphic designer.

Deck and patio company.

Remodeling company

Property management.

Trucking business

Wow what haven't you done haha.

I'm still a student :) 

After I was in the army:

Iron Worker

Steeple Jack.

Carpenter

Production for 6 Flags.

Home improvement sales

Graphic designer.

Deck and patio company.

Remodeling company

Property management.

Trucking business

Omg you have nice experience in job ;) you should work in labour office and help others finding a job :P

• Like 1

I didn't know we were listing all our previous jobs, so here it is.

Starting at 5 years old (we were very poor growing up, so I was put to work early).

1. Paper route. 5 years old until I was 9.

2. Honda dealership. 9 years old and assembling motorcycles. People would never have bought them had they known, huh? But I grew up in a very mechanical family and every bolt on those bikes were assembled to spec.

3. While working at Honda, I also worked 7-11 pm on a farm shoveling shi7 and feeding the cows and bailing hay and.....

4. City Sewage Treatment Plant. 15 years old. Yeah.... it's as bad as it sounds. The stuff people flush down the toilet.... smh! Still did farm stuff at night.

5. DeFelice Bros. Pizza. 16 years old. Great pizza, but sucked to work for them and quit after 4 months.

6. Honda dealership (again). 16 years old. Got my racing license and was on their drag racing team on the weekends.Great time!

7. Marathon Gas station. 19 years old. Also was a volunteer EMT/Firefighter. Drove tanker truck for the home heating oil side as well.

8. Caught a lucky break and was my beginning in the medical field. I finished my Paramedic and during clinicals at the local ER, I caught the attention of the department director. She had a reputation of chewing out Paramedic students and I was scared stiff when her and the charge nurse called me into her office. I just kept trying to figure out what I had done wrong. To my suprise, she offered me a job as a Paramedic in the ER. I asked her several months later why me and she said she watched me hold the hand and puke bucket at the same time for a lady vomiting blood and helped clean her up. It impressed her. 20 years old.

9. In 1994, my wife got a job in Corpus Christi, Tx. So I had to find a job there. I got hired as a phlebotomist at Driscoll Children's Hospital. I had caught the eye of an anesthesiologist and medical director for the PICU and he told me he wanted me to help him form a Transport Team. He had the RN's & RT's but no Paramedics. Summer of 1995, me and 7 other EMT's came together to form the department. Started out with nothing and built it from the ground up. Didn't even have an ambulance until 1996. 23 years old.

10. Graduated nursing school in 2000 and worked PICU for a year, then I went back to the Transport Team as a Flight Nurse. 29 years old.

11. In 2005, I moved to Dallas and got hired on at Children's Medical Center on their flight team. (Helicopter we flew is my profile pic) After 6 months, I decided I had had enough of flying (76 air medical crashes that year) and took a position in Pediatric Cardiac ICU. During that time, I would come in for my shift and get IV's on kids that the IV team couldn't get. They finally recruited me and have been poking kids with needles ever since.

Oh yeah, I worked delivering milk by semi for the local dairy Occasionally. I got my chauffeur license at 16 (equivalent to today's CDL) and used my older brother's SS# because company policy was no driver under 18. I can still rattle of my brother SS# but can't tell you my wife's... Lol

Edited by docwarren
  • Like 3

Well I don't have a job right now but im gonna be exactly like my dad and work at children's medical center and  do iv's like my dad :)

This time last year I was stocking shelves at a grocery store... Currently a contractor for NASA in application development. Best thing to ever happen to me.

• Like 1

Well I don't have a job right now but im gonna be exactly like my dad and work at children's medical center and do iv's like my dad :)

Never settle to be like the old man. Dream your own dreams. Find your own way.

Better learn quick though. Like a bird throws her young ones out of the nest to force them to fly and survive on their own, I'm kicking you out of the house the day after graduation.

• Like 2