NHL Season 2015-2016

von Rantala

Just watched game against Carolina and it was season best win, WOOW, feel so gooood! We was 2 down after referees accept goal what never should be allowed, and then in overtime they blow easy penalty to Suter, then they block Prosser shoot when he try get puck out of our side of ice when we was in penalty kill, (Carolina got at least 3-4 shot after that) then after penalty was killed they blow game end when Ward (CAR) was without stick in goal and puck was far away from him, then they didnt give penalty to Ward when he hold Zucker stick, but even that referees tryed 5 time help Carolina to win, we came and strike goal and won game! Yeah! I was screaming like crazy one and cursed referees :P lol I didnt like how Yeo started over time with Niederreider and Granlund and Suter and that all most cost us game win when Granlund gave easy give away, he should start overtime with Zucker and Koivu and Suter, but in someway penalty what we got, give us that killer mentality and because that huge penalty kill we won game.

Dubnyk has been amazing in last game, first shutout win against Tampa, then great game against Winnipeg and then he alone keep us in this game, when we didnt play hockey in first period, he made 17 save in first period, and couple huge like Skinner breakaway. Now Dubnyk has been goalie what he was in last year!

Just watched game against Carolina and it was season best win, WOOW, feel so gooood! We was 2 down after referees accept goal what never should be allowed, and then in overtime they blow easy penalty to Suter, then they block Prosser shoot when he try get puck out of our side of ice when we was in penalty kill, (Carolina got at least 3-4 shot after that) then after penalty was killed they blow game end when Ward (CAR) was without stick in goal and puck was far away from him, then they didnt give penalty to Ward when he hold Zucker stick, but even that referees tryed 5 time help Carolina to win, we came and strike goal and won game! Yeah! I was screaming like crazy one and cursed referees :P lol I didnt like how Yeo started over time with Niederreider and Granlund and Suter and that all most cost us game win when Granlund gave easy give away, he should start overtime with Zucker and Koivu and Suter, but in someway penalty what we got, give us that killer mentality and because that huge penalty kill we won game.

Dubnyk has been amazing in last game, first shutout win against Tampa, then great game against Winnipeg and then he alone keep us in this game, when we didnt play hockey in first period, he made 17 save in first period, and couple huge like Skinner breakaway. Now Dubnyk has been goalie what he was in last year!

As I said we should make some group for tips, you follof NHL, i follow russian khl, there is for sure some1 who follows football, we could make tickets for starbucks, make money and tickets wich we win we donate half. :P

We lost again in overtime, lol, u should see how Wild play in overtime, totally without any winning attitude, we just go to cruize in overtime, yes we won last overtime against Carolina, but we win it because we kill that penalty and got a lot extra powers from that, but usually we just cruize without any killing attitude, we dont go to play and make goal in overtime, we go to defence and fear more that puck go to our goal, we should go and attack, go to offence zone and go to make that goal and not just hold puck without any purpose to try make goal, and our powerplay suck again and hard, we dont get puck in the offencive zone, i just cant understand why they didnt kick Brunette (powerplay coach) out, he was good player, but that dont mean that he is good coach, we had solid powerplay before he came, and now it has been league worst two year when we dont get puck in the offensive zone. Kick that Brunette already, we have good powerplay when we get puck in the offincive zone, but it shold not be so hard as it is now to get it in offencive zone, second unit is totally useless, no powerplay goals from them when they dont get puck even in the offincive zone, they dump it there, but defencive team is always first in the puck and shoot it out of zone rightway. But im satisfied on point what we got against Dallas, we was down two time, and we was playing out of home building and without Parise. It was ok game for us and when we get point on ok game, im more than satisfied. If we would be played Wild hockey we would won that game easily, but every team play badly sometimes and from those game its important to got even point.

I have been to the Avalanche game. It was great fun, although we lost against the NY Rangers. Personally I think Reto Berra was awesome. In the 3 games winning streak afterwards he played an important role in the matches too :D. Still I haven't heard Ranta about him in his reviews about goalies :) I am curious though haha.

And tomorrow we take on a team that has a new supporter in Sis: the maple leafs ... I hope we will continue our winning streak ;)

• Like 1

Still I haven't heard Ranta about him in his reviews about goalies :) I am curious though haha.

I have made couple reviews about goalies already, next coming about 25 game mark :)

So here come my top 30 goalies of NHL. Tell me what you dont agree or who you would put in top 10 or 30.

(Vezina winning year)

1. Carey Price. Montreal (2015)

2. Tuukka Rask. Boston (2014)

3. Henrik Lundqvist. New York Rangers (2012)

4. Pekka Rinne. Nashville Predators

5. Devan Dubnyk. Minnesota Wild

6. Cory Schneider. New Jersey Devils

7. Craig Anderson. Ottawa Senators

8. Roberto Luongo. Florida Panthers

9. Sergei Bobrovsky. Columbus Blue Jackets (2013)

10. Semyon Varlamov. Colorado Avalance

11. Braden Holtby. Washington Capitals

12. Karri Rämö. Calgary Flames

13. Jonathan Quick. Los Angeles Kings

14. Corey Crawford. Chicago Blackhawks

15. Ben Bishop. Tampa Bay Lightning

16. Frederik Andersen. Anaheim Ducks

17. Kari Lehtonen. Dallas Stars

18. Brian Elliott. St Louis Blues

19. Steve Mason. Philadelphia Flyers

20. Andrei Vasilevskiy. Tampa Bay Lightning

21. Jonathan Bernier. Toronto Maple Leafs

22. Antti Niemi. Dallas Stars

23. Marc-Andre Fleury. Pittsburgh Penguins

24. John Gibson. Anaheim Ducks

25. Scott Darling. Chicago Blackhawks

26. Ryan Miller. Vancouver Canuks

27. Jimmy Howard. Detroit Red Wings

28. Cam Talbot. Edmonton Oilers

29. Martin Jones. San Jose Sharks

30. Jake Allen. St. Louis Blues

Here come couple explanations to goalies and rankings what u probably disagree

Lets remember this is not my prediction of this season Vezina canditates.

I did leave Holtby (WSH) from top 10 now, he was allmost Vezina finalist last year, but for me he need two good season before going to top10, in my mind last year good success was alot coach Trotz credit, Trotz make team defence well, before Trotz era Holtby was not shining in his stats.

I did leave Winnipeg goalies out of list, reason is simple, last season Pavelec got second time in his career over 91% save percante, yeah if i would do top 30 goalies from last season, both Winnipeg goalies would be in my list, but this list not only based last year success

Even that i think Pekka Rinne (NSH) is great goalie and i love him and his style to play, and i like him as goalie more than i like Tuukka Rask (BOS), i still think that Rask is better goalie and his long time value is better, so thats why he is in second place, yes his start of season has been difficult, but this season stats havent affect list yet, it has only played 3 game of regular season, too early to give any value yet.

Jones (SJ) too early to give value of his great start of season, i based his ranking on last two season games.

Vasilievskiy (TBL) and Gibson (ANA) is in list because so big potential and long run value

Talbot (EDM) has played behind good defence and i think Nilsson will take starter job in Edmonton thats why he is so "low" in my list

Anderson (OTT) i think he is most underrated goalie in league, he could compitite Vezina if he would play behind better defence group, his playoff stats show more about his talent than regular season stats, lets remember that in season 2012-2013 we saw talent, but injury ruin his season, which he probably would be named at least Vezina finalst if not Winner.

Brian Elliott (STL) is in my mind underraited goalie too, and if he can avoid that irregulary what has followed him in every season he could end top 10 too.

Minor Goalie update, as u know i love to keep eye goalies, i keep eye goalie stats from AHL, SM-Liiga (finnish hockey league) and KHL. Here come minor update of AHL.

So Matt Murray has played great in AHL goal, i think Saros (NSH) J.Gibson (ANA) and Murray (PIT) are most promising AHL goalies at the moment, its just early of season, but for Saros i have followed when he was playing here Finland past three season with great stats, and Murray had great stats last year too in AHL, its interesting to see how teams who have already to clear number one goalie has got most talented goalies in AHL too, its interesting to see what Tampa do in future when Vasilievsky is so promising goalie, what they do with Saros vs Rinne and Fleury vs. Murray, it can and probably will slow Saros, Murray and Vasilievsky rise to starter role, in teams like Toronto, Edmonton or  San Jose they could be number two role already and number one in end of season or in next season, but sometimes slow path can be better like in Rask (BOS) situation, he was behind Thomas couple season even that his skill could have enough for starter role same can be say for Schneider (NJ). For goalies its take usually 3-4 year longer to take NHL spot than forwards or defenders. Its very rare that we see under 20 year old goalie or goalie who has played only one AHL season or one pro season (mean Europian main leagues example KHL or Sm-Liiga) We should not forget very promising goalies Hellebuyck (WPG) or Gillies (CGY) either which both started they seasons in AHL very well too, for Hellebuyck is second season in AHL and it very likely that Winnipeg trade Pavelec or Hutchinson, and i think that Pavelec is man who is after season available for trades. Ofc you cant forget J. Gibson (ANA) either, he has started well, Anaheim wanted that he spend this season in AHL (because so small amount of games in past two season because injuries) and they made new contract with him already with bigger salary and he will be team starter or second goalie end of next season, Andersen has played very well in they goal last couple season, so route to number one slot will not be easy. C.Gibson (NYI) could be NHL goalie in next season or in season 2017-2018

Toronto is searching goalie now, and one possibility is Bäckström from Wild or then some young goalie from AHL who i just mentioned, but probably price would be big or teams dont want give so promising goalies in trade now. As i predict in my early season prediction that Talbot would not be answer to Edmonton goalie problem and that is now looking to be hit, and they probably will look new goalie too in this season or after this season, ofc its only 10 game for Talbot and its too early to make final valuation with him. But look like Edmonton and Toronto is looking goalies, and Colorado maybe after this season, Varlamov is good goalie and they want to give him time for whole season, Buffalo probably will try find new goalie too after this season, but will go with current one this one, to see Lehner potential, Arizona will try find new goalie too, and i have been surprised how they havent give more games to Lindback.

List of goalies who could be available for trade.

Khubodin (ANA)

Hiller (CGY) -> maybe to St. Louis Blues

Ortio (CGY)

Ward (CAR) -> Maybe to Edmonton or Arizona

Varlamov (COL) (after season)

Howard (DET) -> Probably to Toronto if Detroit ready to trade, second opinion to Edmonton

Bäckström (MIN)

Berube (NY)

Raanta (NYR) could be traded to Toronto in this season. Maybe most wanted goalie or second wanted after Howard

Zatkoff (PIT) Maybe to Buffalo or Arizona

Elliott (STL) Maybe to Columbus or to Calgary

Reimer (TOR) Maybe to Detroit or Rangers

Bernier (TOR) Maybe to Carolina

Pavelec (WPG) Maybe to Toronto or Edmonton or Arizona

Busy now want to go play little bit, i have update my NHL GM too in last saturday, will add photos tomorrow!

And yes Berras has played well, in my mind he was second worst back up goalie (after Curtis McElhinney Columbus), but now he has played well, but his playing from National game has suck in last couple season, he wasnt great when he was playing EU either (or at least from stats, ofc stats not tell everything) havent see highlighs of his games yet, i usually spend 1,5h per day in NHL site and in that time i try watch 3-4 highligh (watch all Calgary and Columbus highlights) and all the game summarys etc.. but i think Berra will end some round 91.00 save percante or i could be totally wrong and he has taken big progress in his game, goalies can play 5-15 game hot streaks and real level of goalie can be seen in 50-80 game range and that you can say if someone is great goalie you need at least 200-250 game. Thats why i was not ready rate Bishop or Holtby too hight yet either. Plus goalies is most hardest position predict that can been seen so many late draft picks too like Lundqvist, Rinne, Bäcsktröm (Wild not drafted) Quick, Niemi, Andressen etc. etc... Goalies usually start play in better lvl about 21-25 age range, and some play they best season in 28-32 range and come to NHL in that age with playing still good career in NHL (Bäckström came in 27 if am correct and was Vezina finalist once in his career) and some goalies like Thomas (BOS retired) won Vezina in age of 38 and in that season he was playing one of the best NHL seasons from goalies ever, goalies can still play with good NHL lvl in age of 38-41. Roloson was number one goalie in Tampa Bay with good stats and slolid game in age of 43. Some goalie start play better after 30 like Thomas did, so its super hard to predict how goalies from age of 18-26 will eventually play in NHL, or what kind career they can made after 30 birthday. Berra is 28 and he still have couple year time to proove his NHL lvl and he just stepping to Goalie prime time, so what i have seen before can be wrong and he could take even starter role in Avalance, but i still think he is just in hot streak and is not even top back up goalie category. Let see, time will tell us. After 15 game we are a lot more wise.

• Like 1

I have been to the Avalanche game. It was great fun, although we lost against the NY Rangers. Personally I think Reto Berra was awesome. In the 3 games winning streak afterwards he played an important role in the matches too :D. Still I haven't heard Ranta about him in his reviews about goalies :) I am curious though haha.

And tomorrow we take on a team that has a new supporter in Sis: the maple leafs ... I hope we will continue our winning streak ;)

If I stay up all night to see the Leafs they win, if not they lose XD (naaah) Just hate those European times, always too damn tired to stay up till 4am to see a full hockey game or even till 1am to watch the first period, can't believe it's so addicting but I love it, little brutal but also very skilled players, now really watching every game I can to catch up with the rules and terms, teams and the (better) players :P

Go Leafs!

• Like 3

If I stay up all night to see the Leafs they win, if not they lose XD (naaah) Just hate those European times, always too damn tired to stay up till 4am to see a full hockey game or even till 1am to watch the first period, can't believe it's so addicting but I love it, little brutal but also very skilled players, now really watching every game I can to catch up with the rules and terms, teams and the (better) players :P

Go Leafs!

Playoffs games are even better and more brutal (at least the first round is more brutal usually). Unfortunately for you, the Leafs wont be in the playoffs :P

..... Unfortunately for you, the Leafs wont be in the playoffs :P

but wait!...we have a quality goalie making $2.1 Mil this season! the Leafs will most certainly be in the playoffs with saves like this from last night....

• Like 1

Go Leafs!

Yeah i hate when NHL dont take account us Europian NHL fans, NHL have a lot Europian fans, couple year ago it was tradition to start NHL season in Europe, before they played a lot more EU timezone games too, every weekend there was several EU time games, but now only one or max two game in week and 3-4 per month in EU time, i hate NHL because that, they dont respect us EU fans at all, and i hope someday there come change, but i think they have to kick Betman (NHL President) first. Plus Americans dont want change they habbits either and go to game in middle of day. I understand that they cant play games in EU time in week because most Americans would be in work, (EU starting time would be in between 1PM to 4PM EST(New York)) But i dont know why they cant play 4-5 EU timezone game in weekends, example every alternative weeks teams play weekend game in europe time. That would be about 10-20 EU timezone game per team. I example see only couple live game per season, (but in this season there is coming 9 live game in end of season if remember correcly what is like 3x time more than last year) i watch games in next day after i visited to my grandparents, and i have to say that i have liked that style too, now watched games that way 5-6 year and so use to that, its like after hard day, i can come home and take it easy and watch game, (or i should say i try to take it easy, its not always easy) its not bothering as much at did couple year ago, i just try to avoid all the news all the day and shutdown all the radios from grandparents home (they hate whan i do that, they love to listen radio, its even open in nights lol)

I watch the games on live stream because I don't know where I can watch the NHL game the day after for free? It's true that there are barely games on a decent time in EU, if lucky one at 7pm and one at 10 pm mostly on friday/saturday 

My Wild Lion GM update

15 game mark

26.jpg

Jake Virtanen is my new Player, Moved Konopka to Retired players.

27.jpg

28.jpg

Im in third place in Goals for 51,43 Goals made, i am in 11 place in Goal Against, 40,63 goal allowed, im in fifth place in goal difference and 15 place in points and 8 place in western conference.

Several of my key players has started well(better than in last year), like Mikko Koivu, Scott Hartnell, Jason Zucker, and Francois Beauchemin, i could name allmost all of my players in here, i has been so happy of my players starts and most of them play key role in they teams. Players which i hope more production are Mikael Granlund, Sean Couturier and Karri Rämö (G).

I has been very happy to see that my biggest (active) idol Mikko Koivu has started so well, i feared a lot that Wild want to trade him when Parise is home city boy, but Koivu has now started well and is playing one of his best seasons of his career, he is now number one center what we was needing, Granlund should little bit increase his production and game, that he can be good second line center. I would keep him in my team even if Minnesota trade him, he havent been enough good center to our(Minnesota) team yet, and he can be use in trade, but for my team(Wild Lion) i probably keep him because i can use him in third line, when i wait that Couturier take that second line center, and in anyway i have always seen Granlund more like winger than in center role, so i would keep him in my team even if Minnesota use him in trade, i think if Granlund improve his game even little bit Minnesota dont need trade, and i hope Minnesota dont need to make trade, i love our current team, but if we need to make trade for second line center role there is several players who can take that spot if trade value is not too high, like Duchene, Stamkos or Staal and for those i wish most Duchene, but i have seen some of light on Granlund game and i am not too worried yet, i hope that we try Vanek with Parise when Parise come back, Pomminville is playing very bad season now, what has influenced to Granlund too.

For Rämö, i have been disappointend, i waited breakthrough season from him, i have watched all Calgary highlighs and biggest problem has been Calgary very poor defence, but Rämö havent made anykind game savers either and almost in every game he allow 1 easy goal. He have to get those easy goals away, and start to make game savers or i will change him to someone else, he is game by game decision for me now. After i started think Dubnyk situation he started play well, so i hope it will cause same effect in Rämö too.

I watch the games on live stream because I don't know where I can watch the NHL game the day after for free? It's true that there are barely games on a decent time in EU, if lucky one at 7pm and one at 10 pm mostly on friday/saturday 

In Finland Viasat offer net version of Viasat https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Viasatcalled Viaplay http://viaplay.fi/ (i think it will not work in your countrie) where i can go to NHL GameCenter where i can watch games when ever i want, i am ready to pay for those NHL games its take 25 euro per month, and for me watching it for free is like cheating and i dont like it if i am honest, but i totally understand if you cant watch games anywhere else than from free streams. You could try NHL GameCenter also, its like 89.90 dollar per year, and you can watch games when you want. Just type NHL gamecenter to google, (for me its not open that when its not available to my country when Viaplay has right to it and when you order viaplay they redirct you to gamecenter)

In Finland Viasat offer net version of Viasat https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Viasatcalled Viaplay http://viaplay.fi/ (i think it will not work in your countrie) where i can go to NHL GameCenter where i can watch games when ever i want, i am ready to pay for those NHL games its take 25 euro per month, and for me watching it for free is like cheating and i dont like it if i am honest, but i totally understand if you cant watch games anywhere else than from free streams. You could try NHL GameCenter also, its like 89.90 dollar per year, and you can watch games when you want. Just type NHL gamecenter to google, (for me its not open that when its not available to my country when Viaplay has right to it and when you order viaplay they redirct you to gamecenter)

Yeah not sure if it's like "cheating" because the Canadians and Americans can watch the games on television too and I should pay for it because I don't live there, it's great that you want to pay for it and I'm not able to watch too much of those live games anyway since it's at crappy times, also I'm able to see the 6m highlights from all the leafs games and that seems to be the most important for me :) but thanks for the info!!

• Like 1

Yeah not sure if it's like "cheating" because the Canadians and Americans can watch the games on television too and I should pay for it because I don't live there, it's great that you want to pay for it and I'm not able to watch too much of those live games anyway since it's at crappy times, also I'm able to see the 6m highlights from all the leafs games and that seems to be the most important for me :) but thanks for the info!!

Yeah im ready to pay it, because every year it give me so much back, it has given my great memories and will give a lot more, so i am ready to support NHL like i am ready to donate to our clan :) Things what i love or i am passionate i am ready to use money, ofc if i would end in situation that i cant pay that 25e per month i would watch game in some other way for sure, and that way would "cheat" my self too, i just mean in overall, if all ppls would watched in free there would not be NHL (so i mean those hard core fans should pay it or they cant call them self as hard core fans), and you are just starting to watch NHL, if or when its catch you, you probably end to pay too to see games lol :P But i sure understand paying 89dollar for product what you just learning to use or just started to watch its a lot, and you probably would not do that, i mean example like if you start watch some tv-serie from tv and you love it, you will buy all the DVD's what come out, but sure you would not buy dvd's only because it has good reviews or if you only saw couple episode. Im super happy that you start follow NHL :) Can i ask do you have any favorite players yet?

• Like 1