NHL Season 2015-2016

von Rantala

Toronto

Playoff prediction: Miss Playoffs

Miss Playoffs? who is she? :P

The Leafs have never lived up to any prediction, even when leading the league going into the New Year they SHOULD have made the playoffs then lol.

A lot of people feel they will miss the playoffs this season and considering the changes that have taken place and more to come, by all rights they probably should miss them. But stranger things have happened and there no expectations so they will play loose as a goose and slide into the playoffs. Leafs = unpredictable.

L3ftY's Prediction: lose in second round of playoffs. 

• Like 2

Miss Playoffs? who is she? :P

The Leafs have never lived up to any prediction, even when leading the league going into the New Year they SHOULD have made the playoffs then lol.

A lot of people feel they will miss the playoffs this season and considering the changes that have taken place and more to come, by all rights they probably should miss them. But stranger things have happened and there no expectations so they will play loose as a goose and slide into the playoffs. Leafs = unpredictable.

L3ftY's Prediction: lose in second round of playoffs. 

Yeah Toronto was one of hardest to make, i go by rating numbers, but Toronto and Edmonton would be my playoff teams if i would not go only for ratings, Coach make huge difference, Edmonton and Toronto got great coaches now, same could be say for SJ too, i think even that i put them out of playoff Deboer can lead them to playoffs, he did that with NJ too with a lot weaker team than San Jose is now, usually if you do prediction by ratings you get about 60-70% teams right but those surprised teams not have room in lists like Calgary last year, they got more progress from they players than anyone waited and thats why they surprised so many.

Miss playoffs should be miss of the playoffs?

Edited by von Rantala
  • Like 1

Last two team, hopefully you enjoyed! I check when i have time to make summary of ratings where you can easily see playoff teams and i will do one top 30 list per month, first will be top 30 goalies in next month. Hopefully you enjoyed my ratings topics, i will do new one's after 50 mark has gone, where you can see mid-season ratings and top line of first half from every team, and what team need to do in trade deadline.

(btw it take 36 page to make these ratings, but not so much time this time, i found very good pattern)

Washington

Members: -

GM: Brian MacLellan

Coach: Barry Trotz

Captain: Alexander Ovechkin

Fantasy Line: (Best from every spots in team)

Alexander Ovechkin – Nicklas Bäckström – T.J. Oshie

John Carlson – Karl Alzner

Braden Holtby

Most underrated player: Karl Alzner

Most overrated player: Matt Niskanen

Best Young players: (less than 100 NHL game or no breakthrough season)

1. Philipp Grubauer (G)

2. Jakub Vrana (RW)

3. Madison Bowey (D)

Ratings:

Goalies: 9

Defenders: 8,5

Forwards: 9

Staff: 8 (Coach 4,5, GM 3,5)

Overal Rating: 34,5

Goalies and how much they play Prediction: Braden Holtby 70-60, Philipp Grubauer 20-10

Playoff prediction: Lose in second round

Biggest Question marks:

In my top 6, you can find 3 team from West and 3 team from east, Washington hold that 6 place, but have equal amount of points with Wild, Kings and Tampa Bay, Washington is team who can go to finals too, reason why i eventually put them dropp in second round is that team front of them has better defencive groups and goalie situation is still minor question mark for Washington, Holtby played first good and solid season in NHL. They need to get better secondary scoring also, what teams like Tampa and Rangers (who both i put in east final) have. They have promising young players in second line who can provide that production, but can they do it in this year is question mark. Lose of Green might hurt them more than they except.

My Fantasy players: (who is in my fantasy team)

No

Roster: http://www.eliteprospects.com/team.php?team=78

Winnipeg

Members: -

GM: Kevin Cheveldayoff

Coach: Paul Maurice

Captain: Andrew Ladd

Fantasy Line: (Best from every spots in team)

Andrew Ladd – Bryan Little – Blake Wheeler

Dustin Byfuglien – Jacob Trouba

Ondrej Pavelc

Most underrated player: Blake Wheeler

Most overrated player: Tyler Myers

Best Young players: (less than 100 NHL game or no breakthrough season)

1. Nikolaj Ehlers (RW/LW)

2. Connor Hellebuyck (G)

3. Josh Morrissey (D)

Ratings:

Goalies: 7

Defenders: 8

Forwards: 7,5

Staff: 6,5 (Coach 3,5, GM 3)

Overal Rating:

Goalies and how much they play Prediction: Ondrej Pavelec 45-40, Michael Hutchinson 40 – 35, Connor Hellebuyck 5 - 0

Playoff prediction: Miss Playoffs

Biggest Question marks:

Winnipeg has one of most deepest prospect stock, where many can make debut in this season, they might give game or two to very promising goalie Hellebuyck and test couple young other player too. Biggest question mark is they goalie situation, can Pavelec or Hutchinson lead them to playoffs and can they win in playoffs, last year Pavelec was in hot streak in end of season what was reason that they take playoff spot and now when Winnipeg didn't do anything in free agent market they need those kind hot streaks from goalies to be able to go playoffs again, they need more secondary scoring also, but that problem they trust to get help from they prospect stock.

My Fantasy players: (who is in my fantasy team)

No

Roster: http://www.eliteprospects.com/team.php?team=9966

Thanks Ranta for the great job done here! :). I still dont know anything about the sport, but know at least some about the teams etc. Was fun to read.

Happy to hear that you like it :) If you have any questions feel free to ask :)

Edited by von Rantala
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

three round of hockey has gone, LAK has lose both games and allowed big amount of goals, will they go to playoff is too early to say, but they have to defence better, i havent watch games i dont know how has Quick played in those games. Rangers has taken two win from they games, and Wild made 3 goal come back in last period and it was great hockey game to watch, Dubnyk made couple key save to us and we earned that win for good offencive play, but our defence play has to be better, Reilly was send to AHL, and its interesting to see when we bring him to NHL. It has been huge relief to see that we dont overplay Suter anymore, it has been our mantra when we has started this season, we want reduce his gaming time to 25 mark from 30 mark, and thats good because we have a lot good defenders who need more game time, our powerplay has looked a lot better too. There is coming 8 game what i can see live (first in 27.Nov, and then 7 game in 10 week period end of season) I have couple wish what i really hope to see, first is ofc Stanley Cup, second is that Mikko Koivu can play solid and healthy season, third is that we give couple game for the Bäckström too.

Lehner (G) BUF will be out next 6-10 week, let see if we see season first trade, i think that Johnson is not answer to them in goal, yes he did play well in Boston two year ago, but was weak in last year with NYI, and they third and fourth goalies has played in NHL already too and are not aswer in my mind.

Goalies who BUF might get in good prize

Niklas Bäckström (MIN) I still love him, and he is my idol even that he had two hard season behind with save % lower than 90, but he is still good goalie who was dealing with injuries, he played shootout in pre-season, ofc i wish that he could be our second goalie, but look like Wild but more trust to Kuemper atm. Nikke would be my first choise if i would be GM of Buffalo, he can be huge mentor to Lehner too when he come back.

Ray Emery (Free agent)

Ben Scrievens (AHL EDM) my second choise would be Scrievens, they could get him in good prize.

Jonas Hiller (CGY) i dont know if Calgary is ready to go with Rämö and Ortio, but Hiller could give better goalie game than any other goalie who is available, but what is trade cost?

Ofc there would be goalies who they could trade who has more future value to team, but team wait that Lehner will be they starter and thats why my list has only names who come free after this season, who would be better back ups than future starters.

Will send you top 30 goalies list in this week :)

And.... Wild only just won from Avalanche ;) maybe Avalanche will have a good season.

You did watch game too? Wow it was great game, its like text book Wild game, we keep playing badly in some games and then make miracles come back, last year from 5 goal behind if im correct and that goes to our seasons too, every year when Yeo has been our coach we has played awful in some point of season and losing 15-18 game from 20 period. I hope we can avoid that in this season, if we will get samekind problems in this year i am sure that GM will kick Yeo out. I have liked Yeo decisions atm, i have to say that sometimes i love Yeo and sometimes i hate him, its like true hate/love relation, but if we kick Yeo someday i will miss him. First i hope McLellan to our coach but now i have to say i dont like him at all, i didnt like how he take C (captain) from Marleu or Thronton and he did that in Edmonton too, it was firt thing what he done in there, i dont know what is his problem, he ruin team atmosphere if he all the time change captain and take it away very disrespectful way also, he dont name new captain what all coach can do, no, instead he go with only alternative captains, what is like spit in the old captain face. In last 10 year what i have followed NHL McLellan has been only coach who has take away captain c from his team captain, (Carolina make Staal Captain when Brind'amour was captain, but its different thing when Brind'amour was retiring) I have lost all respect to McLellan.

• Like 1

We will play against Arizona tonight :) Arizona has started well and Mike Smith has played very well in goal, will come great game for sure! Can Arizona go to playoffs its too early to say (i think not go) but they surprised many, (me too), biggest reason for surprise is that they keep they coach Tippett and GM Maloney, many probably would kick GM or atleast Coach after so poor season what Arizona had last season, but now those guys paying back that trust what they got.

There has been teams like Anaheim, LAK and Pittsburgh who has been in problems, Anaheim reason is probably that they are too much one line team, they second line is not as good as it should be and lost of Beauchemin what sayed in prediction too has been shown, even that i predict in my early season prediction that LAK will go playoff (i sayed too that they might dropp too if im correct) i think its more than possible that they dropp out this season too, last time they they could put early dropp reason that they played so much, but this season start has shown why they really dropped from last season playoffs, they are not same team as they was in Stanley years, they losted half of defence group what was best of NHL when they did won those Cups and they havent fix offencive problems either. But ofc its too early to say anything and they have all chances to go playoff too. I dont remember if i did say it in my early season prediction already, but Pittsburght coach are not good enough for NHL, it was huge mistake to kick Bylsma and now team can see why it was mistake he was good coach, Pittsburgh should be 100% sure playoff team, and if they dont start play better hockey they have to change coach, they defence group is question mark too and they probably trade someone from offence to get little bit better defence group, they probably will go to playoff, but dropp in first or second round because they defence group is so young and not good enough yet for long run in playoffs.

BTW was there any stars of week from first week, i didnt see those and i visited NHL site several time every day.

• Like 1

So here come my top 30 goalies of NHL. Tell me what you dont agree or who you would put in top 10 or 30.

(Vezina winning year)

1. Carey Price. Montreal (2015)

2. Tuukka Rask. Boston (2014)

3. Henrik Lundqvist. New York Rangers (2012)

4. Pekka Rinne. Nashville Predators

5. Devan Dubnyk. Minnesota Wild

6. Cory Schneider. New Jersey Devils

7. Craig Anderson. Ottawa Senators

8. Roberto Luongo. Florida Panthers

9. Sergei Bobrovsky. Columbus Blue Jackets (2013)

10. Semyon Varlamov. Colorado Avalance

11. Braden Holtby. Washington Capitals

12. Karri Rämö. Calgary Flames

13. Jonathan Quick. Los Angeles Kings

14. Corey Crawford. Chicago Blackhawks

15. Ben Bishop. Tampa Bay Lightning

16. Frederik Andersen. Anaheim Ducks

17. Kari Lehtonen. Dallas Stars

18. Brian Elliott. St Louis Blues

19. Steve Mason. Philadelphia Flyers

20. Andrei Vasilevskiy. Tampa Bay Lightning

21. Jonathan Bernier. Toronto Maple Leafs

22. Antti Niemi. Dallas Stars

23. Marc-Andre Fleury. Pittsburgh Penguins

24. John Gibson. Anaheim Ducks

25. Scott Darling. Chicago Blackhawks

26. Ryan Miller. Vancouver Canuks

27. Jimmy Howard. Detroit Red Wings

28. Cam Talbot. Edmonton Oilers

29. Martin Jones. San Jose Sharks

30. Jake Allen. St. Louis Blues

Here come couple explanations to goalies and rankings what u probably disagree

Lets remember this is not my prediction of this season Vezina canditates.

I did leave Holtby (WSH) from top 10 now, he was allmost Vezina finalist last year, but for me he need two good season before going to top10, in my mind last year good success was alot coach Trotz credit, Trotz make team defence well, before Trotz era Holtby was not shining in his stats.

I did leave Winnipeg goalies out of list, reason is simple, last season Pavelec got second time in his career over 91% save percante, yeah if i would do top 30 goalies from last season, both Winnipeg goalies would be in my list, but this list not only based last year success

Even that i think Pekka Rinne (NSH) is great goalie and i love him and his style to play, and i like him as goalie more than i like Tuukka Rask (BOS), i still think that Rask is better goalie and his long time value is better, so thats why he is in second place, yes his start of season has been difficult, but this season stats havent affect list yet, it has only played 3 game of regular season, too early to give any value yet.

Jones (SJ) too early to give value of his great start of season, i based his ranking on last two season games.

Vasilievskiy (TBL) and Gibson (ANA) is in list because so big potential and long run value

Talbot (EDM) has played behind good defence and i think Nilsson will take starter job in Edmonton thats why he is so "low" in my list

Anderson (OTT) i think he is most underrated goalie in league, he could compitite Vezina if he would play behind better defence group, his playoff stats show more about his talent than regular season stats, lets remember that in season 2012-2013 we saw talent, but injury ruin his season, which he probably would be named at least Vezina finalst if not Winner.

Brian Elliott (STL) is in my mind underraited goalie too, and if he can avoid that irregulary what has followed him in every season he could end top 10 too.

Edited by von Rantala
typos