πŸ’ͺπŸ’ͺ

oliveirapt

• Leader
On 2/27/2022 at 3:49 PM, Long said:

1795358435_Screenshot2022-02-28at00-48-28Facebook.png.6d78bc29dd1f852d4a4ebcd845f10a45.png

Β 

Β 

How close is Alaska to Russia?

Answer:

The narrowest distance between mainland Russia and mainland Alaska is approximately 55 miles.

Β 

However, in the body of water between Alaska and Russia, known as the Bering Strait, there lies two small islands known as Big Diomede and Little Diomede.Β 

Β 

Interestingly enough, Big Diomede is owned by Russia while Little Diomede is owned by the US.Β 

Β 

The stretch of water between these two islands is only about 2.5 miles wide and actually freezes over during the winter so you could technically walk from the US to Russia on this seasonal sea ice.

Β 

And yet, when you search for "Distance between Russia and Alaska" you get maps like this, the distances from the CENTERS of each!

Β 

RoadVibrant?ms=1182,493&pp=61.667027,99.098564;S593|SelectedPointState;Russia&pp=64.144516,-152.279831;S593|SelectedPointState;Alaska&ml=Basemap,Landmarks,OsmBuildings&dc=1,ff000000,2.00&key=AnTcaqBi2ypp0xI-OZNi4W_ik2KhjgpqioTAtXLC8GzkMBQRMlyxvxyTnd5b73im&c=en-US&dpi=Large&fmt=jpeg&od=2&logo=n&da=ro&withMetaData=1

Β 

saying that the distance is 3,005 miles / 4,836 kmΒ 

Β 

Searching for "Distance between Russia and the USA" is even worse, as it measures from the centers of Russia and "the Lower 48" USA = 5,379 miles / 8.656 km.

"Distance from USA to Europe" shows that the center of Europe is in northern Poland, just inland from the Baltic Sea = 4,960 miles / 7,982 km.

Β 

It must be getting late, I have gone :offtopicΒ and am fiddling with numbers. πŸ’€

Β 

In RL, I didn't think that this invasion would occur.Β  It does not seem to make much sense.Β  BTW, don't believe the first information that "the news" shares with us.Β  It is often mostly rumors or wishful thinking. :(Β Β 

Β 

ADDED:Β  DuckDuckGo did a lot better with my question.Β  I could not get Bing to find that Russia-Alaska gap, no matter what search-terms I used, unless I used very specific terms.Β  That would not help anyone who did not know the details of the real situation.Β Β 

Β 

closest distance between us and russia at DuckDuckGo

Β 

GoodNight, ya'll.Β  BTW, T3am-Romash is on Jay#1 right now, in spec. ACK!Β  I just realized that I forgot to check to see if that was really him. :(Β πŸ˜΅Β πŸ’€

Edited by RedBaird
ADDED
  • Like 2

Its interesting how all kind of media is manipulating everything, yes there has been deaths and material loss but it seems we as occidental people forget that progressively some international organizations are surrounding Russia from all sides, we know its a big country but come on, if someone comes to the front yard of your house with at least a gun, and this time is with attacking position missiles and scouting by air all around your place what comes to your mind?

NATO has been pushing this situation since what happened in other countries in Europe, it continues to go East no matter what.

Ofcourse there is where the so much called "national security" comes, and it seems Russia has made a step of alert not only to Ukraine but the whole world that is not possible we continue with wars and obviously occidental financing to terrorist cells all over Middle East to propitiate unstoppable conflicts.

So, the million question here is, do we as occidental people and voters stop this somehow? or we will be perpetually "attached" to this war machine that unfortunately the US and EU performed in the last decades...

For people interested, I watched this informative video about the causes of this war.

It seemed well made and covers many factors (politics, economics, etc).

Β 

Β 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

22 hours ago, Cross Marian said:

For people interested, I watched this informative video about the causes of this war.

It seemed well made and covers many factors (politics, economics, etc).

Β 

Β 

Β 

Β 

From my point of view almost all of the reasons that video makes reference is too western wing telled, about Crimea, Donetsk and Lugansk, which all cases have different reasons of development.

Crimean peninsula has a 59% of russian population and 97% of native russian speakers so there was a referendum and bit more of 40% crimean votes and 61 of 64 parlament members decided to be part of Russia (once again). So its not so accurate saying Russia is gaining territory illegally where is the people deciding their future.

About Donetsk and Lugansk you cant blame Russia. After the coup made in 2014 by several manifestations by unknown resources putted down the legitimate ukranian president, VΓ­ctor YanukΓ³vich, so after that it seems NATO settled down a "silent" invasion, who nobody knows about and ofcourse you will not find this in the web or 10pm news on CNN.

Β 

I just feel mass media and including social media are redirecting the reason of this conflict to wrong direction or at least not telling the whole truth.

Im not standing here and saying I support russian decisions or Putin's calls but I feel this is like telling half of story, as very bad could be telling the whole of it.

Β 

Β 

Β 

Β 

10 hours ago, LazyHippo said:

Β 

there was a referendum and bit more of 40% crimean votes and 61 of 64 parlament members decided to be part of Russia (once again). So its not so accurate saying Russia is gaining territory illegally where is the people deciding their future.

About Donetsk and Lugansk you cant blame Russia.Β 

Β 

This will be my first and last response on this topic regarding current subject.

Β 

The Russian referendum is rigged. Always has been a lot of propaganda and influence from parties.Β If you do not play as they wish, it is possible that suddenly, by coincidence, a bullet "visits" your head.

Plus nothing gives you a right to attack a country for the simple fact that a leader remembered while sitting on the toilet that he had a piece of territory somewhere...someday.

Β 

Thank you!

Stay safe and take care. ❀️ 

Β 

(As a person living in an ex-communist country who rises from the misery caused by others. Others being USSR. Luckily, not anymore.<<Not anymore influenced>>) The majority of you already know the story.Β 

3 hours ago, RendeL said:

I believe this topic is ment to show support for the Ukrainian people suffering the war.

Β 

A lot of misinformation is on the loose and alot of opinions that people has, might cause conflicts beetween each other. This topic is ment to show support for the Ukrainian people, so lets keep it that way. None of us is sitting on the same table with the ones that are making decisions on this war, so noone can say 100% sure what is or isn't correct.

Β 

We are a gaming community, not any political forum.

Β 

So lets keep it that way.

Β I agree in part of what you're saying but as we all know and have friends part of our great gaming community we should still show our love and support for the one affected by the terrible events that are going on in Ukraine.Β  Β  Β  Stay safe and I hope our Ukrainian members are ok and doing well

my buddy i work with is from Ukraine. born there lived there till he was 15 city Kherson .. hes 31 now.Β  if everyone there is like this kid i pitty anyone who messes with them. hes a beastΒ  great worker.Β 

Β 

i have been laid offΒ  from work sense Dec30 i wish i could chat with him to see his perspective on this.Β  godbless Ukraine, an all the people affected by this travesty....Β Β 

Β 

it discussed me the usa news on thisΒ  conflict.Β  they cant just tell the dam truth. of course there used to lying about the weather so why not .i also believe if we had better leadership here in the usaΒ  this would not be happening right now!!!!!

Edited by captnconcrete