ipv6

captnconcrete

lost my ipv6 somehow and no matter what i do i cant get it back.ipv6 no internet access

i did all the stuff google search says and nothing. works.hoping someone else has a fix. its annoying me big time. cant remember for sure when i set it up i think i had to write a command to my registry. ive done all the cmd prompt stuff reset my router even hard reset it  with button underneath. reset the cat and re set the ip. tried  turning off iphelper.  its like the ip for ipv6 isnt recognized .cuz it tries for split sec. and then nothin.

Edited by captnconcrete
  • Like 1

First things first is as mentioned check your router. Prob sounds a daft request but here in the UK some ISP's do use IPv6 but more on a trial basis so its on and off a lot depending on the ISP and what they are doing their end.

If its turned on and active on your router then check network settings on your PC. Given your using IPHelper are you using Windows or linux? Asking as its odd you would need it in windows.

• Like 2

@captnconcrete In my experience, it is like, that the provider can disable ip. Therefore, you shouldn't buy simlock-locked routers. 
Disabling Ipv4 or Ipv6 will result in, for example - you will not be able to enter the servers, internet you will have.
In my opinion, the problem lies with the supplier.

Configuring the router in 4G has nothing to do. If you insert a Sim card it will automatically create a profile. Alternatively, you will change to an external antenna.

Edited by FILIPE
  • Like 1

• Leader

I just sent a PM to Captconcrete with private technical info about some possibilities. :?: (CaptConcrete & Snuffs99 reacted to this line)

. . . and I Went Down the Rabbit Hole and sent him what is probably useless info. :( (FILIPE reacted to this line 😄 )

Edited by RedBaird
ACK! damnd Rabbit Hole again!
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

still havent figured this out. messed with it all day yesterday managed to crash my pc few times.lol its not the router its not my drivers 

ipv6 defaultgatway theres nothing there

ipv6 dns server theres nothing there. it obtains a ipv6 ip address tho.

Problems is even if your router says its active most ISP's will still use IPv4 for the DNS, so the DNS not showing as IPv6 isn't really a clue to the issue and even if it did show an IPv6 DNS its not to say its the address of your ISP's IPv6 DNS and not just the router....If that makes sense.

If your on Windows for instance and everything is set to auto obtain then even your IPv4 DNS in windows will only show the routers address along with the routers gateway address, so for instance a IPv4 DNS showing as 192.168.x.x or an IPv6 DNS showing as say fe80::4ceb:....... will just be the

DNS of the router and not the actual DNS settings your ISP uses to convert the IP to a name etc.

What is it your wanting to do with IPv6 ??

Are you wanting to use just IPv6 and disable IPv4 completely?

If so and you do have an IPv6 address then you could try setting your IPv6 DNS settings to googles? 

Pri: 2001:2860:4860:8888

Sec: 2001:4860:4860:4444

Is it on a Windows or linux OS?

How exactly are you checking your IPv6 address and DNS status??

If your only checking within windows or linux then it is unlikely to show your external/public addresses.

If its only showing a link-local then that is just the IPV6 address supplied to your computer by the routers DHCP in your home network etc

If it does show an external IPv6 address then try use something like ipleak.net, if that shows you only normal IP type DNS servers in the DNS section then your ISP currently only uses IPv4 DNS servers in which case nothing you do will make any difference and you will have to use a 3rd party DNS settings like googles posted above.

If ipleak does show an IPv6 address in the DNS section then your already good to go and shouldn't need to do anything unless its the same address as your IPv6 IP in which case again your ISP doesn't currently use its own IPv6 DNS server so again you would have to use 3rd party like googles etc.

*Edited to make as readable and easy to understand as possible.

Edited by RedBaird
removed the background, I hope
  • Like 1

Sorry double post, not got used to edit button placement yet and find myself quoting my own psts..DOH...my bad

Edited by Snuffs99
  • Haha 1

um i should  be more clear here 

my ipv6 worked before  now it says no internetaccess . i checked  with cmd prompt.  ipconfig  reset winsock  all the jazz. idid comand prompt ip check  and tracerout .basically if u searched it i did it.

its down on my wifes laptop also .. ipv4 works fine.also down on my kids xbox .. but ipv4 works fine.

i checked my networkdrivers uninstalled reinstalled  . ran all the windows diagnoses i could find. i went in my modem checked it all out.. then i reset it. twice.

windows 7 is the o/s   

my mobo is asus m4a78plus i even tried to restore to earlier time. and it still did nothing. suppose its time to call the provider .  

I know here in the UK that the providers are in the process of testing it all and slowly rolling IPv6 out so it is up and down like a yoyo

If its down on all devices then IMHO its either a router issue or ISP/Provider issue mate and my money would be on the providers end.

Again though how are you actually testing the IPv6? Are you just looking at the network card where it says IPv4 connectivity, IPv6 connectivity?

Try changing the IPv6 protocols so you manually input DNS and use googles IPv6 DNS, if you say you have a valid IPv6 addy then its odd you cant use IPv6 unless your thinking the IPv6 address issued by your router is an external one, does the IPv6 address start with fe80 etc?

Edited by Snuffs99
  • Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

still havent figured this out..

i have had ipv6 working on this pc for a whole yr now sense i built it .. now it doesnt work.so sad ...messed with everything i could think of.

If you do not have IPv6 connectivity on any device without disabling it on the devices, it must be due to your router or your ISP.

Does your router have a Graphical User Interface? There you should be able to see whether you have native IPv4 and IPv6 connectivity. If you do not have native IPv6 connectivity anymore (which I assume in your case, as you have none on your multiple devices), this could be because your ISP has disabled native IPv6 support and only assigns you a native IPv4 address anymore. This would be odd because it's usually the other way around (no more IPv4 address because IPv4 addresses are scarce and IPv6 abundant) but stranger things have happened. In that case, I recommend calling your ISP and asking them to restore native IPv6 support.

If they refuse to, you have two options: (A) Changing your ISP to someone who offers native dual stack (IPv4 and IPv6) or (B) using a tunnel for IPv6 connectivity. But I recommend to call your ISP first and trying to restore native support, as tunnelling comes with some drawbacks and should only be considered as a fallback option if you cannot get IPv6 connectivity otherwise.

• Like 2
  • 100 1

• 4 weeks later...
  • Administrators
On 11/30/2020 at 11:05 AM, captnconcrete said:

still havent figured this out..

i have had ipv6 working on this pc for a whole yr now sense i built it .. now it doesnt work.so sad ...messed with everything i could think of.

Check if IPV6 is working in below steps:

1. Modem

2. Router

3. PC

Share where is the issue and we can help.

• Like 1