Smacking a child. Yes or no?

WeetBix KiD

EDIT: Just want to point out before you read this that when I refer to physical punishment, I mean a smack on the ass or arm or something, nothing genuinely harmful.

Smacking your child (in a purely controlled and tame punishment-intended manor, NEVER out of anger) is totally acceptable IMO. I remember it well, and I've thought about it on numerous occasions and I rarely remember it genuinely hurting any real amount.. I think the reason kids cry when getting this mild smack on the ass or w/e is because the shock of it makes them emotional and makes them feel sorry for what they've done.. That's how it used to affect me.. Being told off was bad but when I got a smack it was obvious that I'd really upset my parents or whatever, and when they gave me a smack and ignored me I felt TERRIBLE and utterly sorry for my behaviour..

And, the threat of mild physical punishment eventually means that being told off is enough.. Kids who have never seen any physical punishment take advantage of their parents' lenient tactics with 'telling off' their kids.. Which is why i'm swimming in the contemporary generation of little shits rather than the cheeky and challenging, yet respectful generation I am of (can't be said for ALL people my age, obviously..)

• Like 1

A small spank on the butt never does any harm. I remeber being spanked once and like Chuck said, its more shock then pain.

anyone else get the woodin spoon? dam that hurt, but ill tell ya i never repeat the same stupid thing twice.

• Like 6

Agree with Chucky.

In the medical field, it is considered above discipline standard if it is to a bony structure (the face) or if it leaves a lasting mark that does not go away in a very short period of time.

I have not had to spank my kids in at least 2 years. Early physical discipline (with adequate explanation) instills the authority and the cause/effect in the minds of children and, in my opinion, lasts a lifetime.

That being said, it is a personal parental decision whether this is the route to go and I don't try to force my way on any other parent.

However, I can tell you that I have had many older folks come up to me in public and compliment my kid's behavior. Even when other kids are running amuck and causing a scene around us. Makes me feel that I have made the correct choices when it comes to my kids discipline.

• Like 1

Agree with Chucky.

In the medical field, it is considered above discipline standard if it is to a bony structure (the face) or if it leaves a lasting mark that does not go away in a very short period of time.

I have not had to spank my kids in at least 2 years. Early physical discipline (with adequate explanation) instills the authority and the cause/effect in the minds of children and, in my opinion, lasts a lifetime.

That being said, it is a personal parental decision whether this is the route to go and I don't try to force my way on any other parent.

However, I can tell you that I have had many older folks come up to me in public and compliment my kid's behavior. Even when other kids are running amuck and causing a scene around us. Makes me feel that I have made the correct choices when it comes to my kids discipline.

My father could say exactly the same thing. He was always being complimented on us kids' behaviour and manner etc.. I do think a tiny bit of physical punishment makes them know that being told off is the furthest they wanna take things :P

There is a difference between physical discipline and beating your child as outlined above and IMO physical discipline is fine. Kids that have parents that aren't willing to spank them are always the worst ones... And like speed said if you ever got the wooden spoon you never did whatever took you to that point again! aha

• Like 2

Maybe couple of times in situtations gone totally out of control little physical discipline for future reference to a kid helps him\her understand the boundaries.

But when I see mommies beating their kids for falling down in middle of quiet walk and with that makeing cloth dirty makes me really wonder her mental stability.

• Like 1

i fear my father's punishment until i was about 20...and i don't remember ever being hit, but i know my ass got smacked early.

I am deathly afraid of my father's punishment. If i did something wrong it was always "wait till your father hears about this" then commence the ass-whooping. Wooden spoons, belt, the pimp hand. I've felt their kiss on my behind one too many times. Despite how horrible it was I feel I learned more from it. I see way to many people that could use a good ass kicking that they missed out on in childhood.

Child abuse is a very tricky subject. I disagree with idea of hitting a child, yet I understand the parents that use the smacking of the hand at a young age (if done lightly and when the child is in danger, not for verbal reinforcement).

Maybe couple of times in situtations gone totally out of control little physical discipline for future reference to a kid helps him\her understand the boundaries. But when I see mommies beating their kids for falling down in middle of quiet walk and with that makeing cloth dirty makes me really wonder her mental stability.

When you have deliverd physical discipline on your child and you do not feel guilt or remorse no matter what they have done to deserve it, get help for yourself.

A small spank on the butt never does any harm. I remeber being spanked once and like Chuck said, its more shock then pain.

if the kids just be a kid then no need for a strong arm. IF they crashs daddy's car into house, gloves off.

All of you make me happy, even those who didn't quote. The wooden spoon though *shudder*