Smacking a child. Yes or no?

WeetBix KiD

Sorry to weigh in so late but............

We always got spanked as kids holy shit when mom got out the green belt we knew we were in trouble.

As far as with my own kids the only time they ever got spanked is when they did something extremely dangerous like run into the street or stick a fork in the electrical socket. Other than that we discipline using other methods such as taking away privelages such as computer or tv time usually works.

Perfect example of correct use of the physical side of discipline. Truly for their own sake, not out of anger.. Good man!

• Like 1

Perfect example of correct use of the physical side of discipline. Truly for their own sake, not out of anger.. Good man!

What about corporal based punishment in school for more or less the same purpose?

Surely that would be better as it would be less biased for/against the beaten?

I think a child should only be hit (lightly, without bruising) for punishment reasons ONLY and not in rage... I still think taking their beloved items away for a short time works well, I used to be a troublesome child, then my mum took my Xbox away for a WHOLE year, and I behaved ever since..

What about corporal based punishment in school for more or less the same purpose?

Surely that would be better as it would be less biased for/against the beaten?

Here when we had the cane at school, kids would get "down and up" methods for stupid things like throwing a tennis ball at another child. that to me doesnt warrant a "smack". Plus my Dad said he was sent to the principals office a few times a week to get the cane. He never learnt. Thats why I think Smacking in that sense does not work as if they learnt from the smack they would never to it again and smacking would not be an issue because you would only have to do it once...

How many of you would get a smack for doing something....Then later get smacked again for doing the same thing again? I know I have. The smack for hitting my sister didnt make me stop hitting her. Just made me more sneaky about doing it and say "If you tell Mum ill do it harder next time" LOL :)

I first have to say that I would never ever smack my children. However, I have to admit that a good smacking didn't harm me when I was younger. I learned my lesson. Still, I will never smack my children... There really are plenty of other methods to make children learn how to behave / act in some situations. One just has to be inventive =)

I hate the fact that the government and everyone has to think they have the right to decide how people raise their children. I grew up better because of an occasional ass whipping. My mom and dad would probably be in jail nowadays for using the wooden spoon.

No shit right? Bunghole echoes my sentiments exactly. And kids get into even more stupid shit than ever these days because, I think, too many parents are worried a smack on the ass will land them in jail. Can you imagine the ass whooping one of us would have gotten if we were brought home by the police one day? The fear of that ass whooping alone would be enough to make me want to be a respectable, law abiding child.

I'am not old enough to have experienced an "ass whopping" but I and my siblings would always get a smack on the ass or hand depending on what we did. I'd like to say it influenced me in some way to be the person I'am today considering that I've never done drugs, sneaked out of the house, stayed out to late past a curfew and have gotten good grades. I guarentee when I have childern I'll probably spank them for bad behaviour.

I think, too many parents are worried a smack on the ass will land them in jail.

It's not that what is worrying me. I couldn't care less actually - as if someone would ever know what happens in my own house.

I just don't want to use smacks as means of "shocking" children. You never know how the child will perceive the smack. From your perspective it might just be harmless, in order to shock. For the child it might come through as a menace much more powerful than words. The raising of the hand itself, without the smack yet, is a violent gesture. The impact on the child's mind can differ greatly and, not to forget, the inhibition threshold to use violence against other children will be gone with continuous use. That's only logical. If the child gets to know smacks at home, it will also hesitate less to hit other children of same age, when arguments arise.

It's not that what is worrying me. I couldn't care less actually - as if someone would ever know what happens in my own house.

I just don't want to use smacks as means of "shocking" children. You never know how the child will perceive the smack. From your perspective it might just be harmless, in order to shock. For the child it might come through as a menace much more powerful than words. The raising of the hand itself, without the smack yet, is a violent gesture. The impact on the child's mind can differ greatly and, not to forget, the inhibition threshold to use violence against other children will be gone with continuous use. That's only logical. If the child gets to know smacks at home, it will also hesitate less to hit other children of same age, when arguments arise.

BINGO!!!!!!!!!!!!

Not true! I myself was smacked once for hurting someone and ta-da! I barely fought in my life, only out of self-defense. But I was also told "You can only hit someone back, if they hit you first."

I really think that a spanking or a small slap on the hand are acceptable in certain situations. A wooden spoon, grabbing a child by it's arm, smacking it in the face. Those are all things I find unacceptable because you're touching them in places or with objects that might cause too much pain or actual damage to a child. If you smack a child on the ass, you'd most likely put it over your knee first and at that point, you control the situation. If you smack a child in the face, you never know what might happen, it might just be a tad to hard or the child might drop itself in a reaction and hit it's head.

I do believe that it differs per child though. There are children that are more responsive to physical contact, while others are more impressed by seeing things or hearing things. If a child doesn't respond well to hearing, then it might be better to try and teach it by using physical contact, or even pointing your finger infront of a child, which by itself imposes a 'threat' to the child. However, some children don't respond well to physical contact, you can learn that in the early years of their development. If they don't, then slapping the child on it's bum might do more harm then it'll do good. In those cases, a scolding, putting your finger up or these days, taking away a child's x-box, might just work out better.

In the end, I think it's all about 'being a good parent.' Because if you're a good parent, you'll be able to decide for yourself wether a spanking will work or not. And if you use it, you will know to control yourself. That being said, every parent makes mistakes. It's part of the parenting process, as your children learn, so do you.

Not true! I myself was smacked once for hurting someone and ta-da! I barely fought in my life, only out of self-defense. But I was also told "You can only hit someone back, if they hit you first."

I agree aswell...

However, notice spaceballs said "continued use" not once xD...

I agree aswell...

However, notice spaceballs said "continued use" not once xD...

I was however spanked on multiple occasions. I was simply spanked once, for being violent towards someone.