"Server connection timed out."

nAbish
Go to solution Solved by nAbish,

• 1 month later...
On 8/3/2021 at 11:43 AM, nAbish said:

This keeps happening on a regular basis to me any many other ET players. I've looked everywhere I can think of but have found no answers. This happens within minutes of connecting to server, doesn't happen all the time, but when it does its constant. Ill attach screenshots that may help, may not. I've restarted router/checked for updates, restarted pc and everything. Anything here helps. Thanks in advance!

credit to: El! for all his help trying to find a solution to this problem. Thanks!  

error.jpg

awaiting connection.jpg

Congdon and Coleman Real Estate Nantucket Rentals

timeout ss new.jpg

Same here, just recently really started being a problem. Happens over and over again in about 2-5 minute increments. Other times I can connect and play fine, which is why I do not know if it is on my end or servers.

• Like 1

• Platinum VIP

No, and it's not just happening to me, happens to many others as well. I believe its the "game timed out 1-4" error which when this happens, I am disconnected from server. Normally 5:00pm-10:00 pm central standard time. 

This is soo strange that this happens so many people I wonder what is the main issue behind what causes people to time out?  I myself have never had that problem, and wondering if anyone has contacted the company that FA uses for the servers? I know sounds like a dumb question but wouldnt hurt to look into it, cause its either a issue with the routers of everyone that has that issue ( highly doubt that )  or the Isp whch is another doubt.   My other guess is that maybe each person has their firewall settings too strict that conflicts with the servers.       Another question to the people that have that issue when you get timed out have you ever tried the other FA servers and hang out for awhile and see if it happens on the other servers or just Jay1??

Late night pondering from 

The Clown

• Like 2

• Platinum VIP
13 hours ago, Dink the Clown said:

This is soo strange that this happens so many people I wonder what is the main issue behind what causes people to time out?  I myself have never had that problem, and wondering if anyone has contacted the company that FA uses for the servers? I know sounds like a dumb question but wouldnt hurt to look into it, cause its either a issue with the routers of everyone that has that issue ( highly doubt that )  or the Isp whch is another doubt.   My other guess is that maybe each person has their firewall settings too strict that conflicts with the servers.       Another question to the people that have that issue when you get timed out have you ever tried the other FA servers and hang out for awhile and see if it happens on the other servers or just Jay1??

Late night pondering from 

The Clown

Yes, if I timeout I can immediately connect any any FA server, other than the one I timed out on. Same problem happens on ALL FA servers.

Another question that I have been wondering the people that have the connection time out issue are they using Win10? if yes that might be the issue because a lot of old games do not like the newest Os and conflicts with the firewall settings.     Wouldnt hurt to look into this

• Like 1

I  use win 10, and think i only have that error 1 time many weeks ago, I think it migth have something to do with ETL.

Edited by Leatherface

• Platinum VIP
8 minutes ago, Leatherface said:

I  use win 10, and think i only have that error 1 time many weeks ago, I think it migth have somethink to do with ETL.

I use win10, but not ETL

• Platinum VIP

FOUND THIS..

0 - If you own an AMD/ATI Radeon graphics card , you HAVE TO include the following line in your autoexec.cfg file:

set r_primitives 2

Note that AMD/ATI's driver support for older OpenGL versions like the one used by ET is very poor - it seems to be running over an extremely slow emulation layer - so ANY NVIDIA graphics card made after 2009 will run ET way better than even the latest and fastest AMD/ATI card available.

• Platinum VIP

Also this,

2 - The second most basic setting which improves graphics a lot, besides having very little impact on performance, is Anisotropic Filtering (AF), which makes textures on a plane surface, like the ground, don't look blurrier the further away you look at them. This one must be set via the video drivers control panel. Right click on the desktop, select the NVIDIA or the ATI Catalyst control panel, then go to the 3D settings section and set it to 16x. Do not confuse this with Antialiasing (AA), which is the most taxing setting for a GPU. Important: leave "Antialiasing - Transparency" OFF - that setting blurs things in ET.

3 - Still on the control panel, make sure that vertical sync is set to force off, and if you have an NVIDIA card, the threaded optimization setting MUST be set to OFF (for ET only - leave it on AUTO for other games).

4 - To turn the artillery and explosion smoke effects off, just type /cg_wolfparticles 0 (no /vid_restart needed). Leaving these effects on has a very heavy impact on FPS, besides hindering visibility. To turn rain and snow off, /cg_atmosphericeffects 0.

5 - In the game's menu, click on OPTIONS > VIEW and turn OFF the two settings at the bottom, Blood flash and Blood splatter. The Particles setting may also be used here to control the cg_wolfparticles Cvar.

6 - To turn off the annoying flash when you fire your weapons, /cg_muzzleflash 0.

7 - There are four "magic" values for FPS (frames per second) in the Quake 3 graphics engine used by ET that will help you jump further and do trick jumps: 43, 76, 125 and 333. Set this to the highest value you can keep a steady FPS at with /com_maxfps X. Most of you probably play on disgusting 60 Hz LCD monitors, so 76 will be your best choice. If you happen to play on a 120 Hz monitor, you may set it to 125 (if your graphics card can handle it). DO NOT set this value to 333 - your frame rate is directly linked to the game's and the mod's netcode, and setting it to 333 will make you lag badly, besides being total overkill. The key factor here is to keep a steady FPS. If you can't keep your FPS steady at one of these values 99.99% of the time, then go for a lower value.

8 - Last but not least, you've GOT TO turn AMD's Cool'N'Quiet or Intel's SpeedStep OFF when playing ANY game. On XP, Desktop > Properties > Screen Saver > Power (or Control Panel > Power Options), choose Always On to turn it off. On 7 and later, Start button > Control Panel > System > Power Options, choose High performance.

Just a few more suggestions.