ET BEGINNERS #2 Improve shooting skills?

TheFriendlyVEGAN

Hej,

How can I improve my shooting skills? 

I usually resort to special weapons like flamethrower or panzer, because my aiming sucks. When using a Thompson or MP40, more often than not I empty an entire clip and end up getting only a few hits. Or I just die before I even get a hit.

It's a combination between getting killed all the time / being tired of being called a panzernoob of flame-tard.

Also, switching between weapons seems slow. Is there a way to increase the speed?

Thanks!

raf.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

You improve by shooting, mostly. The default mouse sensitivity is quite high, so try to decrease that first and get used to it. It must feel very slow in the beginning, but soon you realize your aim isn't all over the screen when you track the enemy, which makes it more steady and soon more accurate. I'd stick with the sensitivity you try for few days to really get used to it and then you can tell what way you need it to go. Also some setting do eat your fps ( set drawfps 1 to see the fps) or cause lags when set wrong and also some setting gives you more steady aim. It's a long list to try explain, so try lowering the sensitivity first and see how it affects.

For weaponcycle, try this: set cg_weaponCycleDelay "0"

/EDIT: if you like to read, this might be helpfull:

Edited by RendeL
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • 100 3

Hi,

A good config is important to get some fun and skills. Easier is the game, funniest it is.

try some easy commands like ---->

/cg_atmosphericeffects 0   (no more rain or snow, but the fog stays)

/cg_fov 95                  (Field Of View, 180 is from the left hear to the right one, i personnaly use 100)

/cg_muzzlefash 0       (fire flash from the weapon when shooting)

/cg_bloodflash 0        (red flash on screen when get hit)

/cg_bloodtime 0

/cg_blooddamageblend 0

/cg_wolfparticles 0     (disable mortar, panza and arty flash on the floor)

/sensitivity 1               (mouse sensitive, should be use with 500 or 800 dpi)

/cg_bobyaw 0

/cg_bobup 0

/cg_bobroll 0

/cg_bobpitch 0           (all /bob will fix your crosshair even you're running or shoot)

/r_gamma 1.5             (will make your screen more brighter)

some others can be very usefull. Just ask if needed. If you use jaymod, try esc-jaymod-misc and esc-option-view

(if anyone have something to add, welcome :) )

hope it helps a bit

osie

edit about mousepad ----> when you go from the left to the right, you should have made a 180 return back

Edited by 0siE.
  • Thanks 1

Some good suggestions there i may also add

Use m_pitch 0.01501 it makes ur aim up/down less sensitive to track heads easier and stick to target.

Use 6/11 mouse sensitivity in Windows mouse settings.

Its a misconception thst ET doesn't have direct input it infact does with in_mouse -1 test between this and 1 and see which u like the most.

Try to use objects on maps as a reference to aim height where u should keep your aim on i.e: top of boxes or a part of the wall line it up to match the head/neck hitboxs remember where it is and use as reference and try to go left to right only in a line with ur mouse unless u have to aim up down also strafe with your aim and try moving your mouse as little as possible for more accuracy and hip fire where possible.

Dont use mouse acceleration and try 800dpi 2.2 sensitivity all depends on your resolution though you want your sensitivity as low as comfortably possible.

Edited by kYmo
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • 100 1

Some quick tips

1- Aim high. When you move, place your crosshair at the high of the head.

It's better to aim higher and when you shoot to go down, you'll have higher chance to hit the head and then the body. And slowly you'll get used to aim at the head.

2- Mouvement. Don't jump, go left right as fast as possible. (You can add fast crouching if you want). Be 

3- Keep your sprint for when you need it. In Beg2 if you do a 1v1 just wait a second before using it and increase your left/right movements. It will be really hard for your opponent to follow the suddent increase.

4- Not the easiest, like RendeL said, find your sensitivity. If you have an high sensi start to decrease it a little bit, play a few days with it to see if you feel a little bit more confortable, then decrease again a little bit. Do that until you find your sensi.

5- General knowledges about the game is important too, it's not only about aim. You can play knife only and have a positive score. Know more or less when you have high chance to encounter enemies, wich position are good for you and wich one are dangerous. Start to think about the respawn time too if you play close to the enemy spawn. A good knowing of the maps are important too.

My english is not the best to explain but I hope it can help you :) And remember, aim is a thing that mostly come by playing and training, there is no shortcut.

Have fun ;) 

• Thanks 1
  • 100 1

29 minutes ago, kYmo said:

Dont use mouse acceleration and try 800dpi 2.2 sensitivity all depends on your resolution though you want your sensitivity as low as comfortably possible.

true, i forgot this point. Thx

for example, im at  1.00 sensi / 500 dpi / 1920*1080

How to make screen good --->

open notepad and write (in my case) --->

/seta r_customwidth "1920"
/seta r_customheight "1080"
/seta r_mode "-1"
/vid_restart

save it on your Etmain folder (c://program files/wolfeinsten-Enemy Territory/Etmain) as screen.cfg

In game, open console and type ---> /exec screen.cfg

Edited by 0siE.
add /
  • Like 2

Keep in mind, that low sensitivity is only good if you have a certain type of mouse grip. Some people move their whole forearm when moving their mouse and some people have their wrist locked in place and only move their palm/hand. So if you only move your palm/hand and have a very low sensitivity, your forearm can get tired quickly. I'm one of the people that have locked wrist and only move my palm, so I use such sensitivity that when I move my palm as far as it can go left or right, in-game I travel for a full distance of my in-game FOV. So basically, if I'm on desktop and center my mouse in the middle, when I move my palm as far left as it can go, I want my mouse cursor to reach exactly the left edge of my screen.

Try it, it might work for you also, if you hold the mouse same as I do.

Edit: Doing it in-game and on desktop is not the same, I just gave the desktop example so you can understand what I meant with the in-game FOV

Edited by Nenich
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • 100 1

First of all, people telling you to change sensitivity, it should not be your first concern(if you used the sensitivity you have for a considerable amount of time); sensitivity is subjective, only you know what feels best for yourself. Find a sensitivity you feel comfortable with and stick with it for atleast 40-60 hours of playtime. Next figure out whether you are a wrist or forearm player. (With wrist I can help you out most because I'm a wrist player myself). Incase you are a wrist player, when possible, setup your chairs arm rest in line with the desk so that you have a good linear arm position. (This will greatly help with stability). Aiming in ET for the most part requires your strafe tracking skills. Also a good rule of thumb for figuring out whether you are wrist or forearm player: If you can play with a sensitivity high enough that when you flick only your wrist wrist and you turn atleast 180° consider yourself a wrist player. When its considerably less than that (lower sens) you can consider yourself a forearm player. But as you say, it requires a bit of diagnostic work on your own part. Constant analyzation of your errors during your practice times will furthermore help you improve at a faster pace. Good aim isn't build overnight, >>>repetition is key<<< as with a lot of things.

-Third party training games-

------------------------------

I recommend using an aim trainer such as kovaak 2.0 on steam (9,99€). There are alternatives such as Aimlab(FREE) or Aimbeast(4,99€) but the latter ones have slight input lag and less customizable options. These games are intended to give you an overview for your performance allowing you to check your mistakes and improve on them. Although these games may not always seem fun to play and you look to improve, try to spend atleast 30 min to an hour on them before getting into your game of choice. A lot of aiming is muscle memory, thats why you have to trick and stick with a certain DPI + sensitivity.

There are a handful of CVARS in et that can help with your visibility for when you get shot such as bloodflash etc (if you want you can message me about these because I don't know them out of my head right at this moment lol). 

Like other's have said aim for the head, in 1v1 strafe fights always track the enemy with your mouse and strafe at the same time. >>>ALWAYS<<< try to keep your mouse at headheight of the enemy, have awareness of small platforms, slanted edges at the wall etc, anything that may impact the Y axis. There is such a thing as positional advantage, for ex. running up the stairs and there's an enemy holding you ontop. That is a disadventaeous position for you because when you get shot while going up the stairs, the knockback will push you down the stairs giving you a slight airtime, decreasing your weapons accuracy. There's a lot more to talk about positioning but seeing as this is just a question about aim let's keep it at that for now.

If you have any questions feel free to message me or ask them here, I'd be happy to help you out.

(Sorry if I am jumping topics all over the place here I've never really typed out something quite like this so this is new to me, I know I have probably skipped a lot of information. Point out to me what I didn't mention and I'll answer where or how I can)

The general point I'm trying to get at here is that you should really look into an aimtrainer as these programs will help you improve the fastest way possible.

Source/credibility: 1800+ Hours into Kovaak and counting! 😛

Edited by HURMA
  • Thanks 1
  • 100 4

I can't really tell you that much on tricks to improve in my case it was just find my best settings which fitted best to me.

And then it was more like a playing much thing 😄 (sorry i would like to example it better but i can't xD)

At some point you realise what you have to do (if you are a wrist or forearm guy) 

But the basic things like the head crosshair placements etc. need to be also practised (i don't know how but this came somehow from alone playing by me)

Then you just need to adjust your gamestyle to your aim and try to be as accurate as you can.

I don't have anymore tricks since i didn't use any of this aimtrainers or something else it just came with time in my case. 😄 

Anyway i hope i could help you a bit and if you want a good basic for a config here in the forums are a lot configs (also mine) if you want to try them out ;)

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • 100 1

lets see the cfg u play with . an go from there. visual will only get u so far. being comfortable with your mouse and your keyboard will help.

an using a real gaming mouse . an keyboard will also help a little.

my advice. with out a cfg . is when u see great aimers on askem to help u. some of them arent arrogant asswipes and will help. thats how i learned. not that i  am some great aimer but i killed a few before.lol there is no correct number in a setting that will make u aim great. people off top my head to ask . betrayal ,destiny, harui.aka hybrid. EL!, letdown,gameplan,ExhoL?, and hotspurs .... these fellas all are above par aimers.  that arent jerks.lol if i didnt mention u dont get mad. lol  these fellas all shot above 50Acc quit often.

my favorite response to this question is point shot repeat.hahahahaha

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 2
  • 100 1

• Platinum VIP

Other than getting your settings straight, concentrate. Learn the game, each map. Knowing when the enemy is going to be at a certain spot is half the battle. That's why we use Spawn Timers in ET Pro, so we know when our opponent is going to spawn, and when they'll be at a certain point coming out of spawn.

But beyond that, like posted above, keep your crosshairs higher than it seems logical. Keep your finger ON your mouse button - that split second it takes if you're holding your finger lightly off it makes a bigger difference than you might think - control your rate of fire (I suck at this) and learn the mini-map. I always know when I'm being lazy because I get my ass kicked often, but when I just pay close attention the the map, where I'm aiming and considering when/where my opponent is going to be makes a huge difference. 

...unless I'm playing against betrayal ,destiny, harui.aka hybrid. EL!, letdown,gameplan,ExhoL?, and hotspurs... lol

Those bastards....

Edited by -=HipKat=-
  • Thanks 1

• Platinum VIP

One thing is for sure, always running around with a flame, a panzer, an SMG or an M97 just to get kills will never, ever help you get better at using your default weapon (Thompson/MP 40)

Edited by -=HipKat=-
  • 100 1

1 hour ago, -=HipKat=- said:

One thing is for sure, always running around with a flame, a panzer, an SMG or an M97 just to get kills will never, ever help you get better at using your default weapon (Thompson/MP 40)

Very true. But it beats getting killed all the time, that's just bad for morale :)

15 hours ago, captnconcrete said:

lets see the cfg u play with . an go from there. visual will only get u so far. being comfortable with your mouse and your keyboard will help.

Here it is.

//Binds
unbindall

bind F1 "vote yes"
bind F2 "vote no"
bind F3 "ready"
bind F4 "echo ^1F5 ^/Allied ^dMedic; echo ^1F6 ^/Allied ^dField ops; echo ^1F7 ^/Allied ^dEngineer; echo ^1F8 ^+Axis ^dMedic; echo ^1F9 ^+Axis ^dField Ops; echo ^1F10 ^+Axis ^dEngineer"
bind F5 "echo ^/Allied ^dMedic; kill; team b 1" 
bind F6	"echo ^/Allied ^dField ops; kill; team b 3" 
bind F7	"echo ^/Allied ^dEngineer; kill; team b 2"
bind F8	"echo ^+Axis ^dMedic; kill; team r 1"
bind F9 "echo ^+Axis ^dField Ops; kill; team r 3"
bind F10 "echo ^+Axis ^dEngineer; kill; team r 2"
bind F11 "autoscreenshot"
bind F12 "vstr demor"

//bind ² "toggleconsole"
bind TAB "+scores"
bind SHIFT "+sprint"

bind 1 "weaponbank 1"
bind 2 "weaponbank 2"
bind 3 "weaponbank 3"
bind 4 "weaponbank 4"
bind 5 "weaponbank 5"
bind 6 "weaponbank 6"
bind 7 "weaponbank 7"
bind 8 "weaponbank 8"
bind 9 "weaponbank 9"
bind 0 "weaponbank 10"

bind a "+leanleft"
bind z "+forward"
bind e "+leanright"
bind r "+reload"
bind t "messagemode"
bind y "messagemode2"
bind u "messagemode3"
bind i 
bind o "+obj"
bind p 
bind q "+moveleft"
bind s "+back"
bind d "+moveright"
bind f "+activate"
bind g "+mapexpand"
bind h 
bind j 
bind k "kill"
bind l "openlimbomenu"
bind m 
bind , 
bind : 
bind w 
bind x "+prone"
bind c "vstr crouchtoggle"
bind v "mp_quickmessage"
bind b "+zoom"
bind n "playdead"
bind SPACE "+moveup"

bind MOUSE1 "+attack"
bind MOUSE2 "weapalt"
bind MOUSE3 "+reload"
bind MWHEELUP "weapnext"
bind MWHEELDOWN "weapprev"

bind KP_HOME "vstr dym"
set dym0 "echo ^cSmoke ^2OFF; set cg_wolfparticles 0; set dym vstr dym1"
set dym1 "echo ^cSmoke ^2ON; cg_wolfparticles 1; set dym vstr dym0"
set dym "vstr dym0"

bind KP_PGUP "vstr opady"
set opady0 "echo ^cRain/Snow/Explosion ^2OFF; set cg_atmosphericeffects 0; set opady vstr opady1"
set opady1 "echo ^cRain/Snow/Explosion ^2ON; set cg_atmosphericeffects 1; set opady vstr opady0"
set opady "vstr opady0"

bind KP_END "vstr nextname"
seta name1 "echo ^hVegan^cFor^bLife; seta name ^hVegan^cFor^bLife; seta nextname vstr name2"
seta name2 "echo ^xLonesome^mPete; seta name ^xLonesome^mPete; seta nextname vstr name3"
seta name3 "echo ^hRaf^bThe^cVegan; seta name ^hRaf^The^cVegan; seta nextname vstr name4"
seta name4 "echo ^rVegan^dFrom^sSweden; seta name ^rVegan^dFrom^sSweden; seta nextname vstr name5"
seta name5 "echo ^eFrejya's ^dDraumar; seta name ^eFrejya's ^dDraumar; seta nextname vstr name1"
set nextname "vstr name1"

set "cg_instanttapout 0"

seta sensitivity 9

seta cfg_fov 100
set cg_muzzlefash 0  
set cg_bloodflash 0 
set cg_bloodtime 0
set cg_blooddamageblend 0
set cg_wolfparticles 0 
set cg_bobyaw 0
set cg_bobup 0
set cg_bobroll 0
set cg_bobpitch 0 
set r_gamma 1.5 

set crouch "+movedown;set crouchtoggle vstr standup"
set standup "-movedown;set crouchtoggle vstr crouch"
set crouchtoggle "vstr crouch"

set demor "vstr demoon"
set demoon "autorecord; set demor vstr demooff; echo ^cRecording Demo"
set demooff "stoprecord; set demor vstr demoon; echo ^cStopped Recording"

set cg_weaponcycledelay “0”

Thanks everyone for the replies!
I've added some class scripts in my cfg, and they all have smg's. I'm gonna force myself to use smg's more often.

I've also added some of the suggested codes to the cfg, which I have to try out still.

And I've noted the aim trainer, thanks!

21 hours ago, HURMA said:

-Third party training games-

I recommend using an aim trainer such as kovaak 2.0 on steam (9,99€).

Yes, this is the best way to get better aim in ET. I have total playtime in  Kovaaks about 24 h and my acc has gone from stable 35% to stable 38%. Just make sure you practice different scenarios and make sure you have the same fov and sensitivity as in ET. Easiest way to be sure is to measure how many cm is 360 degree turn in game and in Kovaaks. I dont play Kovaaks anymore beacause Im happy with the acc I have atm, but if you dont mind the grind you can improve a lot. Just play regularly and you will improve.

• Thanks 1

• Platinum VIP

Well, this is the million dollar question right here. There a bunch of different ways to answer it as shown in the good replies already given above me. I'll try to point out which I find the most important and which I find less important.

Important:

- Crosshair placement/Aim high. The less distance there is between your crosshair and the head of the enemy at the moment you spot him the less time it takes for you to adjust your crosshair to his head. Also if you need to cross a long distance it's easier if you only need to worry about the horizontal axis rather than  having to flick in a diagonal line.

- Find your sensitivity. Some people will say you need to have a low sensitivity but frankly, there have been great high sens aimers and low sense aimers so it is really up to you. If you play a high sens you probably don't move a muscle past in your arm, it's all wrist movement. This is fine if you have the muscle memory for it (just don't get carpel tunnel). If you lower your sens you will start to have to use your entire forearm which means you will have to start from 0 to get muscle memory again. But if you want to make that step I can say that low sens is way easier to build and maintain muscle memory for because you have more room for error with every movement you do while still remaining on target.

- Stick to one weapon. If you wanna get better at shooting with SMG you will have to use that gun. There is as good as nothing you can learn by playing other weapons. If you want to improve your shooting that requires lots of practice and time which you don't get by playing riflenade or soldier :)

- Stick to one sensitivity. Sensitivity is important so I'll mention it twice. Sticking to one sensitivity is extremely important if you want to train your muscle memory. If you are in the process of finding the sens that fits you of course that's different but if you think you found it one day but the next day you are not playing well don't change it. If you keep changing it you won't get muscle memory and you will never get persistent. If you allow yourself some bad days to gain muscle memory then over time you will have less and less bad days and your aim will become more and more consistent. I have also seen people bound a toggle to their crouch button to lower their sens when crouched for long range combat. Honestly don't try these things. It will make learning a lot harder.

- A good headset. Surprised out of all the stuff being mentioned here I haven't heard this one yet. Out of all the devices you could be buying I think a headset is the most important one. Having a good surround sound headset makes you able to hear enemies from positions you wouldn't have otherwise found them. Especially on pub servers (Jaymod, NQ, Silent, etc) most people don't really bother with walking silently so there is a bunch of information you can gain by carefully listening to the sounds around you.

- It's not all about accuracy. Accuracy fails to even tell half the story of how good someone is at fragging. Picking and choosing your battles. Coming from unexpected angles. Getting the first headshot off. Shooting from advantagious angles. There is a lot you can adopt in your playstyle that allows you to improve your skills that is not aim-related. I don't consider myself an exceptional aimer but I can usually get consecutive highest fragger awards against most opponents. For example one thing I recently started doing more is pushing enemies away if it is close combat. Being pushed causes your bullets to spread more giving me an advantage. It doesn't matter if I shoot 50% acc or not because I just put myself in a position where I can probably come out on top with like 30-35% acc. Shooting accurately is not nearly as important as shooting more accurate than your enemy :)

Not so important:

- Config. Except for cvars like sensitivity (and ofc cvars to guarantee a stable fps) there is barely anything a nice looking config can do to help your aiming. Configs mainly help your ability to spot enemies faster but it's only you that aims towards the enemy and keeps their crosshair in place, not your config. If you are getting a stable fps and your sensitivity to where you want it you can get 40 or 50 acc on a stock config without issue. The only commands I would consider important are already pointed out by @0siE.. I added a few on my own and left out a few:

Spoiler

/cg_atmosphericeffects 0

/cg_muzzlefash 0   

/cg_showblood 0

/cg_bloodflash 0 

/cg_bloodtime 0

/cg_blooddamageblend 0

/cg_wolfparticles 0

/cg_bobyaw 0

/cg_bobup 0

/cg_bobroll 0

/cg_bobpitch 0

/cg_runroll 0
/cg_runpitch 0

- Gaming mouse. When I was improving the most aim-wise I was playing with a wireless mouse I bought at a Lidl supermarket and it worked perfectly for me. In my personal opinion an expensive gaming mouse only starts to become more important when you have already improved your shooting without one.

- Mini map. Sorry for everyone that loves this thing but I have never bothered to learn how to use it. It's more in the way than anything on my screen. I'm sure that it can be an advantage sometimes but I wouldn't worry too much about it. 

- Third party training games. There's a bunch of people playing Kovaak nowadays but imo everything that is in Kovaak you can also practice in ET. The only difference is that when you play Kovaak your focus is on tracking and flicking while when you are playing ET you might have more on your mind. But if you apply the same mindset in ET I think you can work towards the same improvements over-all. That doesn't mean that training games don't have value tho, I just think you can overlap it fairly well by just playing normally while applying the same mindset.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • 100 1