ET BEGINNERS #2 Improve shooting skills?

TheFriendlyVEGAN

43 minutes ago, Dest!Ny said:

Well, this is the million dollar question right here. There a bunch of different ways to answer it as shown in the good replies already given above me. I'll try to point out which I find the most important and which I find less important.

Important:

- Crosshair placement/Aim high. The less distance there is between your crosshair and the head of the enemy at the moment you spot him the less time it takes for you to adjust your crosshair to his head. Also if you need to cross a long distance it's easier if you only need to worry about the horizontal axis rather than  having to flick in a diagonal line.

- Find your sensitivity. Some people will say you need to have a low sensitivity but frankly, there have been great high sens aimers and low sense aimers so it is really up to you. If you play a high sens you probably don't move a muscle past in your arm, it's all wrist movement. This is fine if you have the muscle memory for it (just don't get carpel tunnel). If you lower your sens you will start to have to use your entire forearm which means you will have to start from 0 to get muscle memory again. But if you want to make that step I can say that low sens is way easier to build and maintain muscle memory for because you have more room for error with every movement you do while still remaining on target.

- Stick to one weapon. If you wanna get better at shooting with SMG you will have to use that gun. There is as good as nothing you can learn by playing other weapons. If you want to improve your shooting that requires lots of practice and time which you don't get by playing riflenade or soldier :)

- Stick to one sensitivity. Sensitivity is important so I'll mention it twice. Sticking to one sensitivity is extremely important if you want to train your muscle memory. If you are in the process of finding the sens that fits you of course that's different but if you think you found it one day but the next day you are not playing well don't change it. If you keep changing it you won't get muscle memory and you will never get persistent. If you allow yourself some bad days to gain muscle memory then over time you will have less and less bad days and your aim will become more and more consistent. I have also seen people bound a toggle to their crouch button to lower their sens when crouched for long range combat. Honestly don't try these things. It will make learning a lot harder.

- A good headset. Surprised out of all the stuff being mentioned here I haven't heard this one yet. Out of all the devices you could be buying I think a headset is the most important one. Having a good surround sound headset makes you able to hear enemies from positions you wouldn't have otherwise found them. Especially on pub servers (Jaymod, NQ, Silent, etc) most people don't really bother with walking silently so there is a bunch of information you can gain by carefully listening to the sounds around you.

- It's not all about accuracy. Accuracy fails to even tell half the story of how good someone is at fragging. Picking and choosing your battles. Coming from unexpected angles. Getting the first headshot off. Shooting from advantagious angles. There is a lot you can adopt in your playstyle that allows you to improve your skills that is not aim-related. I don't consider myself an exceptional aimer but I can usually get consecutive highest fragger awards against most opponents. For example one thing I recently started doing more is pushing enemies away if it is close combat. Being pushed causes your bullets to spread more giving me an advantage. It doesn't matter if I shoot 50% acc or not because I just put myself in a position where I can probably come out on top with like 30-35% acc. Shooting accurately is not nearly as important as shooting more accurate than your enemy :)

Not so important:

- Config. Except for cvars like sensitivity (and ofc cvars to guarantee a stable fps) there is barely anything a nice looking config can do to help your aiming. Configs mainly help your ability to spot enemies faster but it's only you that aims towards the enemy and keeps their crosshair in place, not your config. If you are getting a stable fps and your sensitivity to where you want it you can get 40 or 50 acc on a stock config without issue. The only commands I would consider important are already pointed out by @0siE.. I added a few on my own and left out a few:

Hide contents

/cg_atmosphericeffects 0

/cg_muzzlefash 0   

/cg_showblood 0

/cg_bloodflash 0 

/cg_bloodtime 0

/cg_blooddamageblend 0

/cg_wolfparticles 0

/cg_bobyaw 0

/cg_bobup 0

/cg_bobroll 0

/cg_bobpitch 0

/cg_runroll 0
/cg_runpitch 0

- Gaming mouse. When I was improving the most aim-wise I was playing with a wireless mouse I bought at a Lidl supermarket and it worked perfectly for me. In my personal opinion an expensive gaming mouse only starts to become more important when you have already improved your shooting without one.

- Mini map. Sorry for everyone that loves this thing but I have never bothered to learn how to use it. It's more in the way than anything on my screen. I'm sure that it can be an advantage sometimes but I wouldn't worry too much about it. 

- Third party training games. There's a bunch of people playing Kovaak nowadays but imo everything that is in Kovaak you can also practice in ET. The only difference is that when you play Kovaak your focus is on tracking and flicking while when you are playing ET you might have more on your mind. But if you apply the same mindset in ET I think you can work towards the same improvements over-all. That doesn't mean that training games don't have value tho, I just think you can overlap it fairly well by just playing normally while applying the same mindset.

The minimap is OP in ET other than that comment it was a nice response! 👍

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Dest!Ny said:

The only difference is that when you play Kovaak your focus is on tracking and flicking while when you are playing ET you might have more on your mind. But if you apply the same mindset in ET I think you can work towards the same improvements over-all. That doesn't mean that training games don't have value tho, I just think you can overlap it fairly well by just playing normally while applying the same mindse

The thing is, when you play ET, you will spend maybe 50% of your time actually tracking and flicking. The other 50% of the time you will wait for your respawn, run to action and to other no-shooting stuff. If you play Kovaak, you will spend 95% of your time actually tracking and flicking. So, yes, you will improve only playing ET, but Kovaak will help you improve a lot faster.

• Thanks 1

Get used to a comfortable eDPI* in Wolf: ET and use it in every shooter possible. That way you do not wreck your muscle memory when switching games regularly. 

Helpful sites for converting your ingame sensitivity in Wolf: ET into that of other games are https://www.mouse-sensitivity.com/ and https://jscalc-blog.com/liquipedia-sensitivity-calculator/. Admittedly, because of different ways of game engines converting the x,y movement of your mouse into player rotation, some game engines having built-in mouse acceleration (like the Unreal engines), and different yaw and pitch settings this won't make the mouse movement 100 percent the same as in Wolf: ET but at least you will make it as close as possible and the necessary x movement of your mouse on your mousepad for a 360 degree turn ingame will be the same across all games you play. In my experience, this helps a lot if you like to switch between different games and do not exclusively play Wolf: ET.

Personally, I think that for Wolfenstein or other fast-paced shooters (Quake, Unreal Tournament, Call of Duty) a good value would be 20 to 30 cm x-movement on your mouse for a complete 360 turn. You can calculate it with this formula: DPI(mouse)*ingame_sensitivity*m_yaw  [or you can just use the above linked converters!]

In that same vein, I'd advise to disable "enhance pointer precision" in the windows mouse settings (this often introduces mouse acceleration especially in older games (e.g. RtCW) even if you have disabled it ingame) and using the default 6/11 cursor speed.

Once you have settled on a comfortable sensitivity, only thing you have to do is practice and you will improve!

*DPI(mouse)*ingame_sensitivity=eDPI

Now, this has turned into quite a meme in the gaming community ("He's not cheating, he just has one of those gaming chairs!"), but an often overlooked factor for precise mouse movement is posture. When playing always try to sit upright and have your forearm in a 90 degree angle to your upper arm, resting your elbow on an armrest and your wrist comfortably, preferably on something softer than your table (e.g. your mouse pad if you have a large one). The upper third of your screen should be on the same height as your eyes. It will help with the aiming and it's healthier for your body in the long turn.

Edited by Lt Steiner
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • 100 1

On 2/19/2021 at 8:10 AM, Lt Steiner said:

Personally, I think that for Wolfenstein or other fast-paced shooters (Quake, Unreal Tournament, Call of Duty) a good value would be 20 to 30 cm x-movement on your mouse for a complete 360 turn

I like to compare aiming to drawing . The slower you go and the smaller and lighter the "brush" the more precision and control you have. I also like to use the smallest and lightest mouse I can hold, without my hand cramping. Also for the same reason. The lighter and smaller the object you move, the more precise can be the movement. Right now I am using Cooler Master MM711 ( weight 60g) and I have huge hands. You can barely see the mouse when I'm holding it.

If you calculate eDPI, I think you also have to factor in windows sensitivity. If we agree that the baseline (1) is 6/11, then we can leave it out. I have 6/11 windows sens.

My X-axis 360/cm is 48. eDPI  is 820 (1,64 sens and 500 DPI mouse) and I'm using m_pitch 0,0151. So Y-axis eDPI is even bigger than 48. For shooting far I use cg_fov 90 with 1.20 sensitivity, so in some situations my 360/cm is maybe 60, I havent measured it. Posture is important, right hand elbow has to be on the table for more support and control. I also have very huge mousepad, so I dont run out of space while aiming.

Edited by HarryAimpotter