ET Cant connect and cant see servers in list

GwS BadBoy

• Leader
On 2/16/2021 at 3:19 AM, eTwin said:

i got the same problem. serverlist is empty.

/UnHidden

This has been troubling us for a week(?) now.  I turns out not be problems with Our Computers or Our ETs, but rather it is caused by the extremely cold weather in Texas.  The ID ETmaster list server is reported to be down due to power supply problems.

Here is a recent post by @DeKing, where he relays information and help from TrackBase.net (TBS) https://et.trackbase.net/ , where the homepage displays the same info as DeKing had found on Discord:

I plan to download and test their modified et.exe and to test the HOSTS-file method of attaching the TBS-master-IP to ID's ETmaster-name.   (all temporarily).

You can read the prior posts in that topic, where testing the "substitute ETL master-list IP for ETMaster in the HOSTS file" showed that that works.  

When we had a similar problem years ago, when ID seemed to have abandoned ETmasterlist service, fans of ET had started a substitution etMasterlist service.  That site is still up, but their fixes don't seem to work now.  What TBS is doing now is similar to what the ET-Fans had done some 8(?) years ago.

When we have problems with our ETs, we Always Assume that the problem is with our computer systems.  Sometim3s, albeit rarely, it is the Outside World that is having the problem! 😄  I remember when all of us Comcast users could not connect to Jay#1 and it turned out to be a problem with the game-host service (or was it that Comcast changed something? ) ⛈️ 

Edited by RedBaird
/unhidden after testing
  • Like 1

• Leader

our servers config already have the command line in them. Only S1 and HC and a few other less popular servers doesn't seem to have the line added in their respective mod.cfg

set sv_master5 "master0.etmaster.net"

For our n!tmod server i have put the line at set sv_master2 "master0.etmaster.net" and it works also so it doesn't need to be absolutely set sv_master5

So all you need to do is use the et.exe from their download link http://etmaster.net/

I still see the servers list. This screenshot was taken today

Untitled-99992.thumb.jpg.67bf7e4da0e1d195394f9fd12be304ed.jpg

Edited by rambozo37
  • Like 1

• Leader
1 hour ago, RedBaird said:

/UnHidden

I had unhidden this post until after I had tested the TBS master-list.  Several FA admins had found that site in recent days, but when we tested the downloaded et.exe with the 2012 file-date, it did not display any servers.  

It did not work yesterday, but it does work today.  The file-date is the same, which implies that TBS had 'activated' or somehow 'repaired' their master-list.

TBS used the same method that I remembered from years ago, when the ID master-list server had stopped, so perhaps the TBS-crew are the same ones who came to the aid of the ET community then, too. 😄

Thanks @JoNny & TBS. 

Thanks @DeKing

• Like 3

12 hours ago, RedBaird said:

I had unhidden this post until after I had tested the TBS master-list.  Several FA admins had found that site in recent days, but when we tested the downloaded et.exe with the 2012 file-date, it did not display any servers.  

It did not work yesterday, but it does work today.  The file-date is the same, which implies that TBS had 'activated' or somehow 'repaired' their master-list.

TBS used the same method that I remembered from years ago, when the ID master-list server had stopped, so perhaps the TBS-crew are the same ones who came to the aid of the ET community then, too. 😄

As of this post

i can concur that the exe file at that time DID NOT work but i've noticed since then they (etmaster) have changed the IP of their own server, so thats prob why the exe or even using their IP in the hosts at that time wouldn't have worked. I think at the time @Gladiator used the ETL IP (5.135.27.11)? instead to make it work as mentioned at the end of that thread.

Either way i'm glad its all sorted for those who need the server list.

Edited by Snuffs99
  • Like 1

12 hours ago, RedBaird said:

Thanks @JoNny & TBS. 

Thanks @DeKing

21 minutes ago, Snuffs99 said:

As of this post

i can concur that the exe file at that time DID NOT work but i've noticed since then they (etmaster) have changed the IP of their own server, so thats prob why the exe or even using their IP in the hosts at that time wouldn't have worked. I think at the time @Gladiator used the ETL IP (5.135.27.11)? instead to make it work as mentioned at the end of that thread.

Either way i'm glad its all sorted for those who need the server list.

You are correct.

ETMASTER.NET is developed & hosted by TrackBase. It was indeed hosted on a different server back in the days when the issue arose for the first time.

We were unaware that the service had stopped on our server but have restarted it as soon as the issues with ID Software came up again. This is the reason why the same file still works but did not work for a day until we adressed the different IP in our code.

Sometimes problems are only seen and reported once people rely on it as the only option.

ETmaster.net is a secure alternative to the standard ET Master Server by ID Software. They had issues with their servers in Texas, because of extreme winter weather there.

Make sure to keep etmaster.net in your server config as your alternative master server provider.

/JoNny

Edited by JoNny
  • Thanks 5

• Leader

Xeroix reports that is is UP and I can confirm that.  

Ironically, both versions of my ping-ID-masterlist batch file FAILed because that server is not responding to pings right now.  (If it ever did!) 😄 

• Like 1