Windows New Graphic card and black screen

Sphalman

Hello everyone,

I have a problem with my new Nitro RX580. When I install the driver (Radeon Adrenalin 2020 20.12.1), still during the installation, I get a black screen and I cannot see anything more, neither HDMI nor DVI.

When restarting the system, it becomes black when Windows start. I can see initial flag but nothing else.

This is my config:

Operating system:   Windows 10 Pro 64-bit

CPU:     Intel Core i7 2700K @ 3.50GHz  Sandy Bridge 32nm Technology

RAM:     16,0GB Dual-Channel DDR3 @ 800MHz

Motherboard:    Gigabyte Technology Co. Ltd. Z77X-D3H  BIOS F15

Grapich Card: Sapphire Nitro RX580 4GB GDDR5, mounted in the PCIE 16X slot.

Monitor Samsung SyncMaster 2033HD (I know, bad one, it'll be next improvement).

Any idea?

18 minutes ago, Barn!e said:

change gpu in bios to new card probably under PCI configuration

Yeah that would be my first approach too, older mobos you did have to tell them to use the PCIe instead of the onboard.

• Like 2

21 hours ago, Snuffs99 said:

Yeah that would be my first approach too, older mobos you did have to tell them to use the PCIe instead of the onboard.

Tried with no luck. I had a Nvidia Geforce before, and I never had to set gpu priority in BIOS.

Since some months I had problems with my Geforce, it couldn't stand last drivers anymore...so I thought it's gone.

So I bought this new one, but still have problems and have to go back to Nvidia.

Is ist maybe a Mobo problem?

do u have gpu in right pcie slot?should be plug an play . maybe this is turned off.?

did u unistall the integrated gpu drivers ?

Edited by captnconcrete
  • Like 2

Windows is unlikely to care about the drivers for the integrated gfx but worth a try at this point, could just boot to safe mode as that wont load any drivers.

Its not unheard of for peeps to use the wrong slot and your Mobo is SLi/crossfire capable so make sure your using the PCIe slot nearest the CPU

@Sphalman

Given this is the second Gfx card you've had issues with its looking more mobo related.

Back to basics first, strip the mobo of everything bar the CPU (obviously keep heat sink and fan etc) your main OS drive and memory (if you have 2 or more sticks use 1 to start).....Use the onboard gfx and see if your able to boot to windows then go from there and slowly add devices, so any extra memory, hard drives etc and see if you can boot till finally the Gfx card and see how far you get. 

If your able to try the parts in another PC that would obviously help knowing that the gfx card(s) are still working etc. but that is just a "nice to have/know" at this point.

Edited by Snuffs99
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • 100 2

i once had a likewise issue,...

the problem was the powersupply. New GFX-Card did take to much power, so everytime when the card got something to do after booting with aero, or starting a 3d programm, the screen got black, but the rest seemed to keep running. so i resetted the pc and it seemed to work again, until the next 3d process. 

Booting in secure mode always worked since it ran without 3d acceleration.

the power supply did switch off the GFX- card since it had not enough power for it. no power, no picture- black screen, pc still running without card.

800Watt 80+ Goldengreen Power supply did the trick instead of my 600Watt Original Chinese Export that came with the ATX-Towercase wich was a 300 Watt Power supply and 300Watt Radiator. 😬 

maybee it helps, maybee not... 

If the Hardware is fine, a windows reinstall works wonders from time to time...maybee on a separate partition just for testing purposes.

Edited by Vice86
  • Thanks 1
  • 100 2

1 hour ago, captnconcrete said:

do u have gpu in right pcie slot?should be plug an play . maybe this is turned off.?

did u unistall the integrated gpu drivers ?

Yes, I checked the slot and even if it is PCIE 8x or 16x...just to be sure. If i put back my old Geforce i have no problem, but only wuth old drivers. If I install newest driver, I've got an error and the graphic card stops to work.

About the integrated gpu drivers...have to check, I installed every drivers needed from Driver Booster...

1 hour ago, Snuffs99 said:

Windows is unlikely to care about the drivers for the integrated gfx but worth a try at this point, could just boot to safe mode as that wont load any drivers.

Its not unheard of for peeps to use the wrong slot and your Mobo is SLi/crossfire capable so make sure your using the PCIe slot nearest the CPU

@Sphalman

Given this is the second Gfx card you've had issues with its looking more mobo related.

Back to basics first, strip the mobo of everything bar the CPU (obviously keep heat sink and fan etc) your main OS drive and memory (if you have 2 or more sticks use 1 to start).....Use the onboard gfx and see if your able to boot to windows then go from there and slowly add devices, so any extra memory, hard drives etc and see if you can boot till finally the Gfx card and see how far you get. 

If your able to try the parts in another PC that would obviously help knowing that the gfx card(s) are still working etc. but that is just a "nice to have/know" at this point.

Thanks, one day I'll try this, if I'ld do it now you could see most parts flying out of the window...I'm an aries after all 🙂

46 minutes ago, Vice86 said:

i once had a likewise issue,...

the problem was the powersupply. New GFX-Card did take to much power, so everytime when the card got something to do after booting with aero, or starting a 3d programm, the screen got black, but the rest seemed to keep running. so i resetted the pc and it seemed to work again, until the next 3d process. 

Booting in secure mode always worked since it ran without 3d acceleration.

the power supply did switch off the GFX- card since it had not enough power for it. no power, no picture- black screen, pc still running without card.

800Watt 80+ Goldengreen Power supply did the trick instead of my 600Watt Original Chinese Export that came with the ATX-Towercase wich was a 300 Watt Power supply and 300Watt Radiator. 😬 

maybee it helps, maybee not... 

If the Hardware is fine, a windows reinstall works wonders from time to time...maybee on a separate partition just for testing purposes.

That was the first thing I checked. On the box they say it needs min. 500 watt to work, and i have excatly a 500watt powersupply. I think it's not a power problem, I had problem with graphic card with my old one as well...

I reinstalled everything 2 weeks ago just to have a clean install...but no luck at the moment. Getting crazy 😞

• 100 1

23 minutes ago, Sphalman said:

On the box they say it needs min. 500 watt to work, and i have excatly a 500watt powersupply. I think it's not a power problem, I had problem with graphic card with my old one as well...

Maybe power supply defective ? 

What kind of problem did you have with the old one ? 

Edited by GHARIB
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

49 minutes ago, Sphalman said:

That was the first thing I checked. On the box they say it needs min. 500 watt to work, and i have excatly a 500watt powersupply. I think it's not a power problem, I had problem with graphic card with my old one as well...

I reinstalled everything 2 weeks ago just to have a clean install...but no luck at the moment. Getting crazy 😞

to test this and rule the psu out, you can disconnect everything that isnt needed for the pc to run.

all USB devices, exept the keyboard and Mouse, put out all the cards and drives wich arent needed and hopefully it will run trough, so you know its the psu. if this aint helping, you can try out another pci slot for the card, check different combinations and such... maybee putting the components on a woodenfloor and try running them without the case at all can give you some insight what happens. 

what also helped me once:

installing old drivers instead of the new ones, especially on ati cards (okay they are called amd now 🙈)

Edit:

you had the same issue with the old card and a new windows install?

okay,...🤔 

i would start to change and try and fail in downgoing order: 

Psu, Motherboard (maybee bios update),

Ram, HDD or other Sata devices 🤷

Edited by Vice86
  • Thanks 1

• Leader
On 1/10/2021 at 7:16 AM, Sphalman said:

Motherboard:    Gigabyte Technology Co. Ltd. Z77X-D3H  BIOS F15

Grapich Card: Sapphire Nitro RX580 4GB GDDR5, mounted in the PCIE 16X slot.

This site says that the card is compatible with the mobo : https://pcpartpicker.com/products/video-card/?compatible_with=qz3RsY

There are some "skanky" websites offering BIOS Updates for that mobo ... 😄 

NOTE:  I was still searching for "stuff" when @Vice86 posted above.  That first line is the tried & true first step in trouble-shooting pesky problems.  PITA, but avoids 'wandering paths.'

From what I read, the Mobo has 2 physical UEFI BIOSs.

Edited by RedBaird
slow I am so.
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, RedBaird said:

From what I read, the Mobo has 2 physical UEFI BIOSs.

Its a feature of some gigabyte boards that they have "dual" bios, one is a backup that the mobo falls back on in cases of corruption or a fooked up bios upgrade etc. Its actually one of the main features that guides me to choose gigabyte boards when i build or upgrade etc.

@Sphalman

PSU wise its doubtful a lack of wattage will be any issue unless you run games and then have the black screens etc, just to boot to windows the gfx card would use almost no power at all.

You say you get drivers via driver boost but is there any reason you cant download the drivers direct, i.e from Nvidia or ati/amd?

Make sure all mobo drivers are also up to date, get them direct from gigabytes support page checking to make sure you use the correct revision.

I'd probably also update the bios at this point to the newest available, (F18i )

https://www.gigabyte.com/uk/Motherboard/GA-Z77X-D3H-rev-10/support#support-dl

Everything i read leads me to think its a win10 compat issue as your mobo was ideally made for the Win8 period.

What is the model of the geforce card you previously had?? I'm asking as i know Windows 10 stopped support for a lot of legacy/older devices including the older geforce cards (geforce 710 for instance).

Its possible because your mobo is older (2012) that windows 10 is blocking drivers as it boots? In order to run them you may have to turn unsigned "driver enforcement off" for windows to boot correctly.

Use option 2 for win 10 pro 

https://www.howtogeek.com/167723/how-to-disable-driver-signature-verification-on-64-bit-windows-8.1-so-that-you-can-install-unsigned-drivers/

Worth a try at this point.

Are you able to boot to safe mode?

Edited by Snuffs99
  • 100 2