Windows New Graphic card and black screen

Sphalman

There can be many problems and also answers. This is electronics and may be acting weird. What you described more shows the reasons for the drivers or the specificity of the graphics card or its damage. You'll always have a black screen for a while when installing the drivers. The installer himself will warn you about such phenomena. 🧐 

Regardless of which PCIExpress you put your graphics card into, bios should see it. If you have inserted a gravity card into the PCIE, the built-in will not provide a signal.

DDR3 and DDR4 motherboards are newer hardware, hence - performance and compatibility. Rather, it will be useless to pull everything out and insert it in turn. It was necessary to exercise on DDR2.

The fault of the power supply, I doubt. The graphics card will use as much power as it wants at the moment. You would have to put a lot of strain on the power supply, but this would lead to some risk.

Move the graphics slightly in the slot, it may be that the pins are not fully touching. Pull it out and insert it, or clean the socket of dust. Put it in a different slot. Check the plug powering the graphics card. Install older drivers. Turn on the testing program (benchmark, OCCT, 3Dmark).

If you had a second motherboard, you could test this graphics card on it. If the same problem occurs or the fault may lie with the graphics card - possible damage.

I have a GTX 660 from 2012, the latest drivers for Win 10 Pro and everything works fine. Even with two monitors. And here's a little case. 🤔 Before installing the graphics card drivers - Bios shows up on the first monitor (on HDMI), the installer and the system too. I had a black screen after installing the drivers. A moment of surprise and only the system shows up. 🤨 It turned out that I had the second monitor turned off and only the bios turned on on the second monitor (on DVI-I). I had such a phenomenon on the ASUS P5Q motherboard and still have it on the GIGABYTE Z270 GAMING K3. The specificity of the graphics card. 😌

1.png.02fb488414562617cc9b855b507ab14c.png

I only take Gibabyte for one simple reason - They offer more for the same price. More memory supports that are on the market. On some boards you have one BIOS version that supports all CPUs. You have more maneuverability in the CPU list. More sockets such as USB or SATA that I will not use anyway. 😎 If you have a good chipset, these boards do not limit you mainly. You can even tweak whatever you want if you can.

Windows 10 supports older graphics cards, but not too old.

Edited by FILIPE
  • Like 3

14 hours ago, GHARIB said:

Maybe power supply defective ? 

What kind of problem did you have with the old one ? 

I'll try to disconnect everything not needed and check, but I'm sure power supply it's ok.

Previously, I had a Nvidia Geforce GTX 560 graphic card, that worked perfectly till some months ago. Then, since I installed the last Windows update (now i remember), I think 20 October more or less, I start to have problem with it. Now it works only with very old drivers, and crashes with newer ones.

• Surprise 1

• Platinum VIP

DO you run 2 monitors?? When I built my current desktop, I had this exact problem. It drove me crazy, then I just unplugged one monitor and Boom! There it was. Once I finished setting things up, I re-added the 2nd monitor and all has been good

Edited by -=HipKat=-
  • Like 3
  • 100 1

4 minutes ago, -=HipKat=- said:

DO you run 2 monitors?? When I built my current desktop, I had this exact problem. It drove me crazy, then I just unplugged one monitor and Boom! There it was. Once I finished setting things up, I re-added the 2nd monitor and all has been good

@HipKat

unfortunatly I run just one crappy monitor 😞

• Sad 2

7 hours ago, Sphalman said:

Previously, I had a Nvidia Geforce GTX 560 graphic card, that worked perfectly till some months ago. Then, since I installed the last Windows update (now i remember), I think 20 October more or less, I start to have problem with it. Now it works only with very old drivers, and crashes with newer ones.

Yeah that is a compat issue mate, Nvidia dropped support for the 560 in the unified drivers a while back so you would have no choice but to use older ones. A windows update would have updated any gfx drivers hence why it stopped working after the oct update. You would have the same issue each time windows 10 released a large update like i do with my fang keypad.

Can you boot to safe mode with your rx card in?

EDIT*** seems the issue with your RX580 is/was a known issue with AMD in Feb 2020, i'd like to think the drivers are fixed now but with intel motherboards the following is recommended

If you own a Radeon GPU and are having problems with it, check for UEFI updates for your motherboard, manually specify PCIe 3.0 in UEFI settings, make sure you’re using the latest drivers, and try disabling overlay support, at least for now. AMD is aware of the problem but has not given a timeline for a fix. Given how long the problem has been percolating, we’ll hopefully see one sooner than later.

So again update your BIOS to F18i and see if it helps.

Edited by Snuffs99
  • Thanks 1

• Leader
19 hours ago, Snuffs99 said:

they have "dual" bios,

I have similar on this 'older' ASUS mobo.  I was hinting that he could keep a "known-working" BIOS in one and try to update the other one, if updates can be found.

My Win10 pro update to 2004 was delayed for many months.  I would try it every month and my system would not boot.  I had to revert to the last installation each time.  I also had to use various system-backups to external discs tools, sometimes.  It finally worked last October.  The OS thought it could update, but there was some problem.

Maybe I should have booted to a Linux-on-DVD and had a look at the windows records-files, but those are such a morass of files that it would probably have done no good. 😄 

• Like 1
  • 100 1

18 minutes ago, RedBaird said:

I have similar on this 'older' ASUS mobo.  I was hinting that he could keep a "known-working" BIOS in one and try to update the other one, if updates can be found.

My Win10 pro update to 2004 was delayed for many months.  I would try it every month and my system would not boot.  I had to revert to the last installation each time.  I also had to use various system-backups to external discs tools, sometimes.  It finally worked last October.  The OS thought it could update, but there was some problem.

Maybe I should have booted to a Linux-on-DVD and had a look at the windows records-files, but those are such a morass of files that it would probably have done no good. 😄 

😄

AFAIK you can only update 1 of the BIOS files?, the other is there as a backup in case you fook the update etc. I'm not sure if the second updates to the newer bios too if it boots well though?.

I have been very thankful once for the dual bios, a few years back i bought a new mobo and needed a newer bios to see my CPU, when i tried to upgrade at the time using b450 flash and not the b450m....... needless to say it didn't work out well and thankfully the bios sorted itself by restoring from the backup one.

Since then i always try to get dual bios boards, i also try to make sure the mobo has a Q-Flash function so you can update the BIOS without CPU etc.

Sadly windows 10 doesn't really like older parts and can be a fooking nightmare to fix...... took me a few days to re-write my fang drivers but if i wasn't able then it would have had to go in the bin as i literally had to re-write, rename and then digitally sign them and even now whenever windows does a proper update like creators or anniversary etc i have to turn sig enforcement off (again) and then reinstall all the drivers with the ones i've made. Pain in arse.

Edited by Snuffs99
  • Like 2
  • Sad 1

🤔 @Snuffs99

remember?

Screenshot_20210112-195437_Discord.thumb.jpg.ac3ab57ef02cc02e1228848c2da6bb06.jpg

@Sphalman

the timing is Similar with your last big win 10 update from Oct2020, and i believe it also came with a win 10 update at me. somehow i believe they came out with the oct. update to find all the "activated" versions...(smiling and remembering the windows xp service pack 2😏)

anyway

so i installed the free version of win 10 downloadable from microsoft.

maybee you can try this sort of Installation:

https://www.microsoft.com/de-de/software-download/windows10ISO

this helped me and it matches with your sayings of the oct. update...

and as far as i know, @Smultronstallet had the exact same problem after Oct. update, and also solved it with the iso usb stick from microsoft.

Ps. good luck

Edited by Vice86
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • 100 1

On 1/10/2021 at 3:16 PM, Sphalman said:

Hello everyone,

I have a problem with my new Nitro RX580. When I install the driver (Radeon Adrenalin 2020 20.12.1), still during the installation, I get a black screen and I cannot see anything more, neither HDMI nor DVI.

When restarting the system, it becomes black when Windows start. I can see initial flag but nothing else.

This is my config:

Operating system:   Windows 10 Pro 64-bit

CPU:     Intel Core i7 2700K @ 3.50GHz  Sandy Bridge 32nm Technology

RAM:     16,0GB Dual-Channel DDR3 @ 800MHz

Motherboard:    Gigabyte Technology Co. Ltd. Z77X-D3H  BIOS F15

Grapich Card: Sapphire Nitro RX580 4GB GDDR5, mounted in the PCIE 16X slot.

Monitor Samsung SyncMaster 2033HD (I know, bad one, it'll be next improvement).

Any idea?

do you have CPU OR APU? make sure you have the GPU priority set to PCI-Express x16/8 w.e your graphics card port is set in BIOS before boot. I had this problem in windows in past with AMD gpu. Also if the fan spins on the gpu at post then goes off possibly faulty card, if the fans continue to spin thats a good sign.

Edited by kYmo
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, Vice86 said:

🤔 @Snuffs99

remember?

Screenshot_20210112-195437_Discord.thumb.jpg.ac3ab57ef02cc02e1228848c2da6bb06.jpg

I do remember now you've posted but if you hadn't.....Well i cant remember what i did this morning usually mate so.... 😄 

Most frustrating thing about help threads like this one is that by the time others and i have tried to explain 1 possible fix i know if i was there at the PC i'd have tried 100 in that same time.

• Haha 3

On 1/11/2021 at 9:24 PM, Snuffs99 said:

Its a feature of some gigabyte boards that they have "dual" bios, one is a backup that the mobo falls back on in cases of corruption or a fooked up bios upgrade etc. Its actually one of the main features that guides me to choose gigabyte boards when i build or upgrade etc.

@Sphalman

PSU wise its doubtful a lack of wattage will be any issue unless you run games and then have the black screens etc, just to boot to windows the gfx card would use almost no power at all.

You say you get drivers via driver boost but is there any reason you cant download the drivers direct, i.e from Nvidia or ati/amd?

Make sure all mobo drivers are also up to date, get them direct from gigabytes support page checking to make sure you use the correct revision.

I'd probably also update the bios at this point to the newest available, (F18i )

https://www.gigabyte.com/uk/Motherboard/GA-Z77X-D3H-rev-10/support#support-dl

Everything i read leads me to think its a win10 compat issue as your mobo was ideally made for the Win8 period.

What is the model of the geforce card you previously had?? I'm asking as i know Windows 10 stopped support for a lot of legacy/older devices including the older geforce cards (geforce 710 for instance).

Its possible because your mobo is older (2012) that windows 10 is blocking drivers as it boots? In order to run them you may have to turn unsigned "driver enforcement off" for windows to boot correctly.

Use option 2 for win 10 pro 

https://www.howtogeek.com/167723/how-to-disable-driver-signature-verification-on-64-bit-windows-8.1-so-that-you-can-install-unsigned-drivers/

Worth a try at this point.

Are you able to boot to safe mode?

Updated the Bios, activeted Windows, disabled driver enforcement with no luck.

With my old Geforce GTX 560 i get error 43 with newest drivers, and it doesn't work, excatly like before.

I even didn't try with Nitro 580...

• Sad 1

On 1/12/2021 at 5:08 PM, Snuffs99 said:

Yeah that is a compat issue mate, Nvidia dropped support for the 560 in the unified drivers a while back so you would have no choice but to use older ones. A windows update would have updated any gfx drivers hence why it stopped working after the oct update. You would have the same issue each time windows 10 released a large update like i do with my fang keypad.

Can you boot to safe mode with your rx card in?

EDIT*** seems the issue with your RX580 is/was a known issue with AMD in Feb 2020, i'd like to think the drivers are fixed now but with intel motherboards the following is recommended

So again update your BIOS to F18i and see if it helps.

Didn't uderstand 100% of what you wrote, I'm dumb. Why did my Nvidia card work till october and now doesn't?

I can boot to safe mode with Nitro, np.

I got the last stable BIOS, F16, don't want to risk a Beta one just for minor adjustaments.

Still no improvment...

• Sad 1

On 1/12/2021 at 8:08 PM, Vice86 said:

🤔 @Snuffs99

remember?

@Sphalman

the timing is Similar with your last big win 10 update from Oct2020, and i believe it also came with a win 10 update at me. somehow i believe they came out with the oct. update to find all the "activated" versions...(smiling and remembering the windows xp service pack 2😏)

anyway

so i installed the free version of win 10 downloadable from microsoft.

maybee you can try this sort of Installation:

https://www.microsoft.com/de-de/software-download/windows10ISO

this helped me and it matches with your sayings of the oct. update...

and as far as i know, @Smultronstallet had the exact same problem after Oct. update, and also solved it with the iso usb stick from microsoft.

Ps. good luck

I've got an activated copy on Windows Pro, buyed an electronic license on web. Do you still think I should try the free version?

image.thumb.png.f5cef495324029626b5f7dd0dda8aa91.png

1 hour ago, Sphalman said:

I've got an activated copy on Windows Pro, buyed an electronic license on web. Do you still think I should try the free version?

image.thumb.png.f5cef495324029626b5f7dd0dda8aa91.png

it would be worth a try and take propably the least amount of time.

i would make a separate partition or HDD where i back up all my important files like "erotic art" movies 😏 (just kidding)

documents, work stuff, bank, insurance pdfs and such...

(i personaly use a Network storage and the second internal HDD wich both fell of a truck one day)

anyway

i just installed on the old C:\ HDD with the corrupted win 10, and voila->>>all fine... 

Windows is always the first thing i want to be able to exchange 😉 helped me in maybee 90% of my own problems

• Thanks 1