Windows Ultra Budget Build (Upgradable)

Achilles90

Howdy all!

I have been working on putting together an ultra-budget frankenbuild with the potential to upgrade down the road

I have never built a computer before... ever

I have only the faintest understanding of these things

I feel like I'm trying to build my own car XD

But for some reason I feel like this should be easy (or at least possible)

All I do, more or less, is word process, watch cat videos, and play ET.

What I need:

Something that works, is upgradable, and beats what I have.

Currently on a toshiba laptop

8 core (I believe) i7 processor 3630QM (whatever that means)

Rated at 2.4 GHz

8 GB ram

Intel HD 4000 graphics (I believe)

Windows 8

Activated 11/27/2012 (apparently)

In 2012 this thing was awesome (for me)

I'd like to move a couple years closer to today

What I have:

3 different old graphics cards, 1 must work and beat what I have today

2 different cases, both ATX

cd/dvd drive (Is this even useful?)

5+ fans of assorted sizes and rgbs

old power supply (seems to fit my specs)**

mice, keyboards, pos little tv screen

**The power supply is old and seems to be rated as trash. Brand new it's $40

This is my wiggle part:

It needs a cable. It's old

I'll happily throw it out for a new (better) one for security

I'm not exactly trying to cut any corners just maybe build it one part at a time

This is where I am at: https://pcpartpicker.com/list/7gWXCb

Ryzen 5 2600x processor, 6 core 3.6 GHz (8 cores was same speed +$100 IIRC? Not worth it?)

MSI B450 Tomahawk (Seemed decent middle of the road)

Corsair Vengeance LPX 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-3200 Memory (is the 3200 worth it over the 3000? +$10, seemed fine?)

6 cores, 3.6 GHz, 16 gb ram.

This should blow my current lapytopy out of the water by my understanding?

The top 4 parts on the list are new, the bottom 4 are old

Is this framework decent enough to buy a new gpu in the future?

I'd like to run my free.99 graphics card for the next few months before I upgrade

Will this work?

When the ryzen 7s come down in price could I drop one into this?

A little advice?

between $300 and $400 is what I'm looking at

I could validate another $100 maybe but I'm torn between not being certain if even need it

I'm not religious in any ways

I picked these parts mostly blind and by middle of the road price points

Am I out of my mind here?

Does this sound like it will work

Is this a stupid plan

Is it a good one?

What part would you tell me to buy?

The powersupply in my pcpartpicker list is the one I have

It's listed as compatible but I should probably replace it

Should I go a little higher wattage and rating or just a better rated one?

Power supply seems like the part most worth my extra $

I feel quite like I'm opting to do my own dentistry here. 

Please tell me this isn't a fool's errand

I could just buy a $500 dell but then I can't really upgrade it

Am I onto something here?

My last real question is if using an older tv instead of a computer monitor will fml?

It's like 20 inches so it seems appropriate for a desk? wtf do I know

I've heard rumors it might hurt my eyes

TL,DR: Click this:

https://pcpartpicker.com/list/7gWXCb = (about) $350 +/- new power supply

Will it work? Like for yes, sad face for no

Is it dumb? Plz help

Can I @ some people?

@Xernicus @*Kiba* @Vanaraud @HOTSPUR @Mufasa @sirdutch @cookiem0nster

You guys sound like you know

Please get mad at me, Sorry.

I'm kind of at the end of my knowledge so about ready to pull the trigger

Totally blind this is almost identical to what smoky suggested to @captnconcrete:

On 4/29/2019 at 1:19 PM, Smoky said:

Im not sure about prices at your contry but in germany you can get cheap

AMD Ryzen 2600x or 2700x 190€ boxed (surely the Ryzen 3000 is comming but i think he has to spent a lot more of money to get PCIe 4.0 and a little bit of power for much more money, if he want an upgrade Ryzen 3000 should be working on AM4 Boards)

16GB RAM G.Skill 73€

MSI B450 Gaming plus 88€

Graka  if you wanna have NVIDIA ... which Resolution do you prefer to play Full HD or 4K?

1060 or 2060

SSD 512 GB for OS aso  Crucial MX 500 73€

How much money do you want to spent ?

^^ That makes me feel hopeful

Considered addon:

Maybe a low gig SSD as a boot drive? 

It's 2019, I hear I should put my OS on something that doesn't spin?

I've seen plenty of appropriate options

Maybe I'll pick one

Thank you so much for your patience

I love you all

=F|A=Achilles<3<3

Edited by Achilles90
now with bigger fonts
  • Like 1
  • Confused 1

first  ? how much are you looking to spend  i'm in the  USA  so no clue about other  country prices 

2th ? i'm not reading all this 

3rd ? what are you looking to do  gaming watching  videos  streaming  ? ?????????  i just ask 

4th do you plan to build the pc yourself or have one build for you 

• 100 1

oha dam long text,

At first ... sorry my english isn t well and i hope that i understand it all in the right way 🙂

I have an eye on your piclist and a few statements.

1. The Ryzen 2600x is an option anymore. The Ryzen 3000 is much more faster but it cost here in germany 210 € and you need a Mainboard to use all power from the x570 Range (cost 150-250€; the less expensiv B-Series isn t in reach).

2. The mainboard: The msi tomahawk is nice but if you wanna save up some money you can have a look at the Asrock B-450 Pro4 (80-90€)

3. Power Supply: i didn t know this one ... but for a little bit more ....thermaltake Berlin 630 with 80plus.

4. Have an eye on the 2600x and try the box cooler. At the beginning it´s not really good but ok

5.Case: i have no Idea...

6. Boot drive SSD is a really good idea ... your system is getting much more faster.  (512Gb Sandisk 50-60€)

7. A hint... if you have an older graka with PCIE try to use them first so you can buy a video card later.....

8. Build a computer isn t really hard. Look some youtube video how to build and you can make it on your own

9. If you need help we will be there (with bad english :-)))

If you wanna get a computer from dell or others... it is hard to make an update, The power supply for example is often design only for the components which you buy not for another video card ...

I hope this will help you....

My Rig atm:

Ryzen 2600x boxed

Asrock B450 Gaming

16GB Ram Aegis 3000Mhz

3x 1TB HDD WD, Samsung, ....

512 GB SSD Boot

512 GS SSD Nvme testing

Ati  Vega 56 low voltage

Cooler Master MC500

Chieftec 750 W

and it works 🙂

There just one more: try to focus on the pc first. A Monitor isn t much cost intensiv (perhaps if you want to get a bit 144Hz it will be expensive) and the power supply is the most important part. If you have trouble with it ..... it can beat other components.

If you wanna get later a ryzen 3xxx it is possible to use it with B450 Mainboard. But atm the ramspeed is less.

Edited by Smoky
too much information and questions
  • Like 1
  • Confused 1

9 minutes ago, Smoky said:

My Rig atm:

Ryzen 2600x boxed

Asrock B450 Gaming

16GB Ram Aegis 3000Mhz

3x 1TB HDD WD, Samsung, ....

512 GB SSD Boot

512 GS SSD Nvme testing

Ati  Vega 56 low voltage

Cooler Master MC500

Chieftec 750 W

and it works 🙂

This is your current build? I'm looking at almost exactly this

I got a bit lost

Should I go for a B450 board or are you saying it would be better to aim for something more powerful?

You were suggesting the 570 models for upgradability

Should I go for a board made for a brand new chip compatible with the ryzen 5? (or some budget cpu)

This isn't really something I thought of

I don't entirely understand how to measure a motherboard

Should I build it for a ryzen 9 someday?

Should it be the #1 most expensive part in my build?

Ryzen 5 vs Ryzen 7

ryzen 5 2600x vs 3600 doesn't seem to be a big difference?

https://cpu.userbenchmark.com/Compare/AMD-Ryzen-5-3600-vs-AMD-Ryzen-5-2600X/4040vs3956

If I went for a 7 series it would double my cpu cost but = big speed upgrade it sounds like

1 hour ago, Achilles90 said:

TL,DR: Click this:

https://pcpartpicker.com/list/7gWXCb = (about) $350 +/- new power supply

Will it work? Like for yes, sad face for no

Is it dumb? Plz help

26 minutes ago, *Kiba* said:

first  ? how much are you looking to spend  i'm in the  USA  so no clue about other  country prices 

2th ? i'm not reading all this 

3rd ? what are you looking to do  gaming watching  videos  streaming  ? ?????????  i just ask 

4th do you plan to build the pc yourself or have one build for you 

1 sub $500 +/- my used parts (I have some of a computer)

2 sorry.

3 All I do, more or less, is word process, watch cat videos, and play ET.

4 myself

I did try to make this coherent.

I don't know how to ask 100 questions and answer them all at once without it looking like that

Sorry

• Confused 1

At first... the last percent more power are the expensives 🙂

Sure you can buy a x570 mainboard but afaik the cheapes Mainboard cost 180€ in Germany and a r5 3600 (best buy i think) 209€. In spite of 80€ for a B450 and 160€ for the ryzen 2600x.

Nearly 390 vs 240€. If you wanna get a R7 3700x 349€ ... and i have in mind it wasn t a good buy. If your budget is 500$ = 451€  it could be a problem.

RAM 70-100€, Videocard 200€ if you want more you can double the price. And you can spent alot of money. Try to fix want you can spent for... if you "only" wanna spent 500$ for all you can t get the highest power.

Ryzen 5 2600x  160€

B450 Asrock      80€

Ram                    80€

PSU                     70€

Video                180€ (for example 1650)

SSD                     70€ (512 GB Sandisk or Crucial)

HDD                   40€ (Seagate 1TB)

Case                   30€ (something like Sharkoon VS4)

710€

If you need a Windows licence .... a little bit more. Now its up to you ... with a R7 nearly 860€ wíth a lot of more power...Nvidia 2070  1180€ aso. But for ET and youtube .... this is really overpowered.

https://cpu.userbenchmark.com/Compare/AMD-Ryzen-7-3700X-vs-AMD-Ryzen-5-2600X/4043vs3956

R7 3700x vs r5 2600x 19% more power

for a self study : https://www.forbes.com/sites/antonyleather/2019/07/07/amd-ryzen-9-3900x-and-ryzen-7-3700x-review-old-ryzen-owners-look-away-now/#2d8f0341d549

Edited by Smoky
  • Confused 1

CPU: I'm a few years out of date. There might be a better deal, so I won't comment on that. What I can tell you: your gut is right, the extra cores aren't worth the money for cat videos and ET. The only time you'd want a bunch of cores is if you're editing videos professionaly or doing AutoCAD or something.

Motherboard: I would change the motherboard you picked to an mATX mobo. You don't need a premium one with a ton of features, you just need something to hold your RAM. I added one that looks like it has good reviews and is still $50 cheaper than the ATX motherboard that you listed.

RAM: I changed it to something a bit cheaper with similar specs. Slightly better CAS timings, same frequency, $10 cheaper (at the moment).

HDD: I'm guessing you're just reusing the hard drive from the laptop? If so, this is fine. If not, lmk and I'll give you a better recommendation. Because yes, the SSD is 100% worth it.

GPU: Reusing again, I'm guessing? It'll play ET and cat videos.

Case: It's a case. The stuff you have fits in it. Good to go.

PSU: Buy something new. There's a SeaSonic PSU on sale right now for $59.99 with a $20 mail-in rebate. Fully modular. It's worth it, do it.

Here's a PC Part Picker list with the changes I made: https://pcpartpicker.com/list/6kq3V6

• Confused 1
  • Love 1

Just want to put this out there if your going with a DDR4 board when DDR5 comes out you will be outdated next year cause DDR4 is a isolated memory buffer not reverse compatible like DDR1-3 which is from what I understand Reverse compatible with DDR5 when it comes out https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/DDR5_SDRAM

• Confused 1

11 hours ago, DoubleDragon said:

Just want to put this out there if your going with a DDR4 board when DDR5 comes out you will be outdated next year cause DDR4 is a isolated memory buffer not reverse compatible like DDR1-3 which is from what I understand Reverse compatible with DDR5 when it comes out https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/DDR5_SDRAM

true, but it will be expensive still, besides, even with ddr4 your memory is fast enough, i still use ddr2, serves me well

• Confused 1

3 hours ago, sirdutch said:

true, but it will be expensive still, besides, even with ddr4 your memory is fast enough, i still use ddr2, serves me well

Well some of use never upgraded to DDR4 for this reason to carry over parts ;) 

• Confused 1

True but DDR5 comes/goes with Ryzen zen 3 4000 at end of this year or early next year. Like in the older days at start the Ram and Mainboard are quite expensive and the question is when he want a new rig. 

• Confused 1

i just want to come out and say i think you picked a really  bad time in the pc world to want to build a new pc  new video cards are coming out soon  new ram is coming out soon  not saying you should not build a pc right now but  i think you be better off  saving a little more money than trying to build you a good  pc 

but that is really up to you  ram size right now  and SSD are  really start to matter all the new games that are coming out are asking for better  ram and  a better graphics card and not even to  mention the CPU  in my book them are the 4 most  important things in a build to last

• Confused 1

1 hour ago, DoubleDragon said:

Id wait cause once the main products hit the market the aftermarket products follow at a cheaper price with same performance it's only a few months away to

haha you got what i was trying to say in so fue words 

Edited by *Kiba*
  • Confused 1

Build looks solid. If you can get your hands on a 2600 or 2700x, go for it. Should be more than enough for what you plan on doing.

-Should you build for a Ryzen 9? Not based on what I see. That's basically a workstation/HEDT CPU. If you plan on getting into video encoding, app development and virtualization, professional 3D modelling or rendering... then sure. But for cat videos and gaming? No.
-If the 2700(x) comes down in price is it worth buying? Sure. Doubt you'll need the extra two cores, but that's one nice thing about AM4, you can pretty much slap any AM4 processor into it (2017-2021). Some motherboards will do better than others, but that's a more technical aspect.
-3200MHz RAM is worth the price difference over 3000MHz.

Since I'm late to the party:
-I do like Gigabyte (Aorus) boards more than MSI's. MSI used to be high quality, but they started skimping on some components. They've stepped up their game lately from what I've heard, but still have a bitter taste in my mouth. The answer depends on whether you plan on overclocking, and since Ryzen doesn't overclock well... go Aorus. (I say this because Gigabyte's UEFI is a bit fubar for overclocking imo)
-I'd go for an SSD. I like Crucial's MX500 line. Cheap, reliable, and FAST. Doesn't even need to be low capacity. You can get 500 gigs under $100. 1TB for $110- and they go on sale often.
-New PSU is worth it. Don't take your chances.
-You don't need a x500 series board.

Personally, I think now's the perfect time to build a PC. There's always something new coming out... DDR5, PCIe 4.0, new process nodes, etc. If people were to wait every year for something new, they'd never get a new PC.
But for the first time in some 3+ years, prices are fair. If that's not justification enough, I don't know what is. DDR5 isn't going to make any sort of difference for anybody except extreme power users. neither is PCIe 4. DDR3 to DDR4 was a big jump, and DDR4 to 5 might be as well. However, those benefits aren't going to be seen except for extreme users- for example, those wanting to game at 4K above 60FPS. Most people game at 1080p- and current hardware pushes framerates well past 100, sometimes into the 200's.

I'm curious as to this speculation regarding new parts in a few months. New GPU's is the only thing I can think of... and he's gonna reuse one he has on hand for now as far as I understand?
For CPU's, AMD's got another year- and that will bring refinement (7nm+), and Intel's got yet another 14nm+++ part on the way... which I'm guessing won't support DDR5 or PCIe Gen4 unless they can make some magic happen by shrinking the process or changing the node.... wait.
I'd say DDR4's got another two years left, and PCIe 4.0 doesn't matter just yet. Even the highest end GPU's don't saturate PCIe 3.0.
Remember, just because a standard is ratified doesn't mean that it will be implemented immediately (DDR5 is still in development btw). Look at USB and even PCIe for example. PCIe 4.0 didn't come to life until 8 years after it's initial announcement. We're still seeing USB 2.0 devices with Micro USB connectors.

On 7/31/2019 at 6:10 PM, DoubleDragon said:

I don't understand. DDR-DDR3 were/are not backwards compatible. There's pinout differences, voltage differences, and most importantly the socket...
RAM_Comparison_02.png.40aa79305ce72943fc3d8f0abc026700.png

Edited by Xernicus
+for example and grammar fixes
  • Like 1
  • Confused 1
  • 100 1