So a few things here.
1. Commando Mode gives bots near-perfect aim (MG and Sniper in particular), and doubles their health and supply. So, in most cases, a bolt action shot to the chest of a bot will no longer be a one hit kill.
2. The player indicators are not optional, as with most of the NWI playlist stuff changing it will get you delisted.
3. The lack of indicators leads to -A LOT- of team killing, especially with the custom uniforms for all factions.
4. I've always had better luck by increasing bot count and adjusting difficulty CVARs than using the Elite or Commando modes.
5. I'd like to have the initial server for recruiting be a way to ease into the much more difficult #2 server.
6. There is a maximum of 47 players and bots -COMBINED- in these games, so if we have 12 humans we can only have 35 bots. I found the ideal in Insurgency was 32 bots to 6 players, in DoI it seems to be 32 to 8.
7. The best place to dial difficulty is to make it very hard to win with 1/2 server full. So, in an 8 player server it should be hard but doable for a squad of 4. For 12 player, this means 6 is the smallest viable unit to win, and with a smaller player base than Insurgency it's going to result in a lot of frustration. We either end up with something too hard to beat with a small group, which makes them leave and never reach a full squad, or it becomes a cake walk when the server is full.