WinMTR issue

Vindstot

Yeah if that box wasn't checked, then obviously that's not the problem. Bumping those values was just to bring that router out of the stone age.

I'm less convinced that it's a router configuration issue rather than something with Avast. It's not unheard of for Avast firewall to conflict with Windows, and vice-versa, and for the zones to.. eh. I don't use Avast, will have to do some research as I wait for my food to cook.

In the meantime, let's check something real quick just for grins... tracert from the router itself.

-Login to router
-Go to System Tools -> Diagnostic
-Choose "tracert" radio box

-Set jay3.clan-fa.com as the domain name/target
-Leave the other stuff as it is, and click Start

• Like 1

-Go to System Tools -> Diagnostic

I dont see Diagnostic option. This is what I see (SS)

bring that router out of the stone age.

Lol :D

post-23197-0-44661100-1522371393_thumb.png

• Like 1

I dont see Diagnostic option.

That must be built into a newer firmware version then, no big deal. Alright, let's focus on Avast (of which my advice will be somewhat limited)...

-I suppose this will vary depending on which version you're using and how old it is... but open up the user interface and go to the Firewall settings.

-Make sure network profiles are set to "Private". If they were public, then this could be your problem.

-If the network profile is already private, follow the guide here (which admittedly, is a steaming heap) to manually add WinMTR and ping (C:\Windows\System32\ping.exe") to list of allowed applications: https://support.avast.com/en-eu/article/25/

I don't know Avast well enough to provide step-by-step instructions but I could help you using TeamViewer sometime tomorrow if the above doesn't work.

• Like 1

My network was already private.

I cant access to Avast firewall.

Somehow I suspected it will not be easy to solve :D

• 2 weeks later...
  • Administrators

Team view? I am online right now, if u can install teamview, i can do remote desktop and help you out as long as your OS is English version. 

• Like 1

IPv6 (or lack thereof) wouldn't cause your issue. You can install English locale, swap it temporarily right before teamviewer connection, and then revert to Hungarian once this gets fixed up (was going to suggest that anyways...)

I suppose whoever has free time first (either dare or I) can get this fixed up for you. Let's see... it's 1:45am atm (and I've been driving all day) so it's a no-go right now... but later today I'll be free. I'll have run to the bank real quick in the morning and then I'll be free. (~10-12hrs from now)

• Like 1

• 5 months later...
On 3/29/2018 at 12:42 PM, Vindstot said:

Hello

Im having a strange (or as Smiley said weird) problem while getting info from winMTR. You can see it on the attached file.

Im not lagging on the servers more than Im supposed, having 125fps many times, so I dont know the effects of this issue.

If any question is needed to be answered to solve it, Ill try to answer them.

Thanks!

post-23197-0-86426800-1522348253_thumb.png

Do you mind if we do a small test? Please make a WinMTR to another host, let's say google.com and yahoo.com. Just for kicks.

MTR is quite a tool, but readings can be complex. What you are seeing is not necessarily wrong. It means you're not getting a response for the ping request from the hosts in the middle. This does not mean something is wrong and packets are not being routed, in the end you can notice you are getting an answer from jay3.clan-fa.com.

WinMTR has the downside, among others, of only using ICMP echo (ping). Which could be blocked. Each host in the middle could be blocking Ping (unlikely) or your router/ISP is filtering it.

If you have access to a Linux of BSD machine, you could try doing an mtr using TCP or UDP but they seldom have good results in scenarios that traverse the Internet where you don't have control over both endpoints.

You might not be able to test the latency at each point from your home to jay3, but does not mean your Internet is not working. The only thing I do notice is a big difference between the best and worst value, which could mean jitter, which could actually be a problem. Further tests are required, you could start by measuring with this tool: https://sourceforge.net/speedtest/ . You gotta try at different times of the day since sometimes it's down. That will help you measure and find out if you have packet loss (which doesn't seem to be the case) and the amount of jitter you have.

• Like 2
  • 100 1

1 hour ago, Schmerzen said:

Do you mind if we do a small test? Please make a WinMTR to another host, let's say google.com and yahoo.com. Just for kicks.

MTR is quite a tool, but readings can be complex. What you are seeing is not necessarily wrong. It means you're not getting a response for the ping request from the hosts in the middle. This does not mean something is wrong and packets are not being routed, in the end you can notice you are getting an answer from jay3.clan-fa.com.

WinMTR has the downside, among others, of only using ICMP echo (ping). Which could be blocked. Each host in the middle could be blocking Ping (unlikely) or your router/ISP is filtering it.

If you have access to a Linux of BSD machine, you could try doing an mtr using TCP or UDP but they seldom have good results in scenarios that traverse the Internet where you don't have control over both endpoints.

You might not be able to test the latency at each point from your home to jay3, but does not mean your Internet is not working. The only thing I do notice is a big difference between the best and worst value, which could mean jitter, which could actually be a problem. Further tests are required, you could start by measuring with this tool: https://sourceforge.net/speedtest/ . You gotta try at different times of the day since sometimes it's down. That will help you measure and find out if you have packet loss (which doesn't seem to be the case) and the amount of jitter you have.

Thanks for the tip, I will try to do it tomorrow :)

On 9/17/2018 at 7:10 PM, Schmerzen said:

Please make a WinMTR to another host, let's say google.com and yahoo.com

751595088_googlewinmtrwrongresult.thumb.png.b782c9166bd5401ea4456173b502b5fc.png1129137125_yahoowinmtrbadresult.thumb.png.93a5cb44b9e45f0077ddd0c35bdbe673.png

I think it didnt work as it should have :P

My IT knowledge is below zero, if you repeat that in Chinese, I wont understand what you said any less (and I dont speak Chinese). But I use Win7 if that answers something about what you said :P

I ran that test (once) and:

921668655_sourceforgetest.thumb.png.4f3117a95f9c8b9a389a38afda6db053.png

Also when I was running the test it said jitter:3ms

Should I run this thing again other times of the day?

Your ping average and the max/min in the yahoo and google WinMTR are well, not noticeable deviations. The ones for jaymod did have big deviations, it might be a problem on the path from your home to the jay server.

You are not presenting packet loss on any of the tests.

The no response from host messages are of no importance in this scenario, those are simply hosts not responding to ping, most likely packet filtering from your ISP. As long as the final destination answers without packet loss, things are good.

Conclusions:

1/ From my perspective, your Internet connection looks good.

2/ Your WinMTR is working well, no problems there.

3/ Your home connections seems fine at least at the time you took the readings.

Whenever you start experiencing a lot of lag on the servers, quit and redo the tests: google, yahoo, etserver and the sourceforge speed test, and let's compare results.

Hope this was helpful, I'll follow this thread and be on the lookout for your replies.

Best,

• Thanks 1

• 9 months later...

Update

DD helped me with Teamviewer and tried to solve this issue. He did what he could, but unfortunatelly my problem still stands. It is beyond me, and not from my side. My ISP is blocking it, and I cant do much about it

So this problem of mine will not be solved it seems

Thanks for anyone who tried to help me

• Sad 1