Boston Marathon hit by explosions

SjaaKTreKHaaK

Two explosions at the finish line of the Boston Marathon race have left an unknown number of people injured.

Video and photographs from Boston show a scene of confusion, with emergency services descending on the scene and bloodied spectators being taken to a medical tent.

"There are a lot of people down," said one runner quoted by AP news agency.

The incident reportedly came about three hours after the winners crossed the line.

"There was an explosion, police, fire and EMS are on the scene. We have no indication of how many people are injured," spokeswoman for the Boston Police Department said.

AP said there was a loud explosion on the north side of Boylston Street, just before the bridge that marks the finish line. Another loud explosion could be heard a few seconds later.

Mike Mitchell of Vancouver, Canada, a runner who had finished the race said he was looking back at the finish line and saw a "massive explosion."

Smoke rose 50ft (15m) in the air, he told Reuters news agency, and people began running away and screaming after hearing the noise.

"Everybody freaked out," he said.

Stragglers heading for the finish line were rerouted away from the smoking site of the blasts as the scene was locked down.

The Eastern Massachusetts branch of the Red Cross has set up a disaster response centre in the area.

Edited by SjaaKTreKHaaK

A friend of mine lives/works in Boston, but she is ok.

Authorities have a identified a suspect, a Saudi national, who is currently being guarded in a Boston hospital with shrapnel wounds. link

Weren't there multiple explosions? I've seen some photos with injured and disfigured people... It's hell there right now. Truly gross.

Yeah, there were 3 bombs. 2 at the marathon and 1 at the jfk library. No one has taken responsibility for it. There is one suspected being detained. 2 other bombs were found, but they did not explode.

cell phone towers have been blocked and flights in/out are cancelled.

=====

Update: Boston police say incident at JFK Library appears to be fire related

NYPD Deploys 1,000 Additional Officers To Guard Prominent Locations

=====

Secret Service Shuts Down Pennsylvania Avenue After Boston Marathon Explosion

Edited by ajnl

Ugh. So sad......Violence will never be an answer. Targeting civilians is not acceptable.

Sending our love and prayers out to any and all people affected by this latest atrocity. May they have peace, healing, and forgiveness.

And to the perpatrator(s), may they recieve justice, understanding, and repentance.

Edited by soulJAHmon

I saw the videos and the news. They were just maratonians dammit. I saw one of them that lost his legs ((((

Gengis

I don't care what the agenda, what your religion, or your nationality, this is wrong and evil in every single way.. What would anyone gain by doing such a thing? Whoever did this needs to be caught and punished in the highest way possible.. It sickens and disgusts me..

• Like 2

Those terrorists ought to be caught and punished as much as possible . Killing innocent people and that too , at a sporting event like the marathon makes all of us feel miserable . May those afflicted by this incident regain peace . :'(

Just learned a classmate from high school was injured in this. Report is she was treated and released for ruptured eardrum and superficial cuts from debris.

A lot of conflicting reports. Tragic some see this as a way of living.

• Administrators

Just finished reading about the 8 year old boy that died, he went to hug his dad that just finished running and was walking back towards his mom and sister when explosion happened, his mom and sister are both in critical condition. It just breaks my heart. I hugged both of my kids a bit tighter today.

• Like 8