'light up' enemy?

Olykiller

Hello FA

Ive been trying to 'light up' the enemy to make more contrast with background, in this way the enemy is more visible. (hope someone understands me :P)

so i tried next settings:

r_mapoverbrightbits 0 (so its pritty dark)

r_overbrightbits 1 (notice no diffrence between various numbers)

r_gamma 3

r_ignorehwgamma 1

r_intensity 1

r_dynamiclight 0

with these settings, things are darker but enemy doesnt 'light up'. anyone has an idea about kind of setting to make the enemy more visible?

grtz

Oly

Are allowed in all servers?

It is. i've used this for years now.

I have the same settings, except r_overbrightsbits 3 maybe try this, working fine for me.

I can post maybe later some screens.

EDIT: No needed to post a screen, its exactly like this for me^^

Edited by ferkel
  • Like 1

I don't think its that good, you can't even make difference between allies and axis, both white.

However agree with Quovadis, it really is an advantage if you get used to it and can profit from it, should be forced to default value.

• Like 1

• Clan Friend

bright enemies = r_ambientscale = locked cvar

it was enabled in antipro anticheat (that fail thing before slac) as ap_ambientscale, for the rest it was never allowed

I don't know if that screenshot is ambientscale tbh, similar things could be obtained with r_ignorehwgamma and some settings, note that r_ambientscale is locked (like r_shownormals, etc.), so unlocking it would require a cheat

You could get maybe something similar to that screen, but enemies would appear too dark in dark areas, in fact I think the enemy is bright because of the light

edit:

r_overbrightbits is forced to max 1 by the engine, that's why you don't see any difference.

edit2:

I tried your config and it gives similar results as the screenshot, but in supply it's not as good, in general in some areas players would be dark

p.s.

to the ones who say it shouldn't be allowed, actually I think his config is closer to default et config than the usual ultrabright configs without shadows

edit3 (sorry for the edits):

now I see that you say in your case enemies don't look like the screenshot. In my case they do (without r_ambientscale, of course, if I do r_ambientscale 5 they are ultrabright but I can do it only offline with /devmap)

• Like 2

• Clan Friend

I made 2 screenshots:

this is with your settings (plus the ones I had already, I changed only those you mentioned)

normally I play with a much brighter config and with much less contrast

yoursettings.th.png

this is the same scene with r_ambientscale 5 (made it in a local server with /devmap, otherwise it's impossible to change it)

ambientscale.th.png

(that one is not a real player, it's etpro 'trickjump ghost', but it's the same...)

As you can see only the 'entities' (lamps, player, gun) get brighter... pity that it's not allowed, anyway I prefer bright configs that's too dark

similar to my config expect I have mapoverbrights 3 and intensity 1.5 . I think the settings you have on are the most you can do to light them up. All other alternatives are cvar forced or cheat protected.

Hey oly howd you get that contrast of that light in, when i tried this its is way to dark, but the enemy pops out.. i could pretty much only see the enemy nothing around me which was hard to play with.. what other setting you got with your config?

This just seems like cheating to me, but I can easily accept that it's not, and im not accusing anyone who uses this of being a cheater in that sense.. It just seems unfair to me.