FPS Drops

Quovadis

CPU usage is set via "set infinity" in task manager however for ET to cause 100% usage sounds very odd, even more so given your using an i5 which is far more than whats needed to play a 17 year old game.

Is it def ET thats using it 100%, whats CPU usage when ET is not running?

Can try update gfx card drivers but with an i5 something underlying is causing the problem mate, no way an i5 cant handle ET, run anti virus/ anti malware etc too.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, inf3rno said:

I checked, even with 1280x720 and 76 FPS I have 100% cpu usage on the first core and FPS drops on an empty server.

I checked with 10 FPS too, it does not have any effect. I checked with 30 maxpackets, 512 hunkmegs and who knows what else, but did not find a config option that affects the CPU usage. Weird.

Could you send here Screenshot of your (whole) task manager (crlt+alt+del) when CPU is  running at 100% ?

Please sort the column "CPU usage" by order (highest first)

• Like 1

• 5 weeks later...
On 7/21/2020 at 4:24 PM, Snuffs99 said:

CPU usage is set via "set infinity" in task manager however for ET to cause 100% usage sounds very odd, even more so given your using an i5 which is far more than whats needed to play a 17 year old game.

Is it def ET thats using it 100%, whats CPU usage when ET is not running?

Can try update gfx card drivers but with an i5 something underlying is causing the problem mate, no way an i5 cant handle ET, run anti virus/ anti malware etc too.

It is between 0 and 1% when I run Firefox for example. When I run ET with an empty server it is always 100% on one core. I am not sure how much it is on localhost, because I always run into errors when I try to start a server. I experienced some weird stuff recently too. One time when I played the lagometer went into full yellow and my ping increased to 250-300 each time I was near enemy or fights. I think I have the same phenomenon normally, it just lasts only for a split second and happens every 2-3 secs, but this time it lasted for as long as I was near a big fight with lot of bullets. Soemtimes it even wrote connection interrupted. When I went far from the middle of the fight, the ping dropped to 50 and the stuttering stopped. After a few maps I restarted the game and it was normal. Well if one can call FPS drops normal. I tested ET on FreeBSD and on a totally different computer too, but it looks like having the same lag like phenomenon. I connected my modem directly to the incoming cable, but that did not solve it either. I'll try out a different modem and test it further with FreeBSD next month.

10 hours ago, inf3rno said:

I'll do later, thanks! But it is a different game, I mean it is not ET with etpro mod, and I play on a server regularly with that mod...

It is tech a different game but I just want to know if its ET itself that is the problem, if Legacy works fine on the same server then we can say its 2.60b and possibly a setting within your cfg etc.

As its playing up when your near a big firefight it could well be something like hunk/sound or zonemegs being too low which is why it struggles?? I assume when you tried on the other PC you used the same config?

Edited by Snuffs99

On 8/21/2020 at 4:57 PM, Snuffs99 said:

It is tech a different game but I just want to know if its ET itself that is the problem, if Legacy works fine on the same server then we can say its 2.60b and possibly a setting within your cfg etc.

As its playing up when your near a big firefight it could well be something like hunk/sound or zonemegs being too low which is why it struggles?? I assume when you tried on the other PC you used the same config?

I am not sure how to connect to a 2.60b server with legacy. Afaik it is an entirely different game, but correct me if I am wrong. I'll install it and give it a try. Btw. I have the same 100% cpu on all servers even without anyone playing or even with low fps and resolution, so it is not server or load dependent. I did not check the CPU usage on FreeBSD, maybe I'll have time for it this week.

Ok, I figured out meanwhile. So legacy supports old ET mods too. I cannot connect to the same server, because it has punkbuster, but I can try different servers. I checked with legacy and the CPU usage was not 100% with it. I am not sure about the lag part. You see I live in Europe, so if I connect to an FA server I have 150-200 ping. With that kind of ping it is hard to catch lag issues... 🙂

4 hours ago, inf3rno said:

You see I live in Europe, so if I connect to an FA server I have 150-200 ping. With that kind of ping it is hard to catch lag issues... 🙂

We have multiples server in euro zone , you shouldn t have any ping problems there .

https://fearless-assassins.com/servers/

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Eazy said:

We have multiples server in euro zone , you shouldn t have any ping problems there .

https://fearless-assassins.com/servers/

Yes, I tried out legacy on a server with 50 ping. I had the same lag like feeling, but the FPS did not drop that often. It is just that the hitbox was off sometimes. I bought an old modem, which does not have the faulty chipset of the current one. I think it is my connection, so I'll try with it later, maybe it fixes the issue. Last  week more serious lagging started and it affects my ping too. The previous lags did not show up on lagometer, now I got connection interrupted many times and the ping goes to 999. Sometimes I lose internet connection. It is not the computer, because I lose it on different computers too. So either it is the modem or it is a problem in the system of the ISP. I hope changing the modem fixes it, because I cannot change ISP. This one gives 500Mbit internet on coaxial cable, the alternative would be 15 Mbit ADSL for the same price. In theory we will have optical from a different ISP in a few years.

Ohh btw. I did not have 100% CPU with legacy. It uses all 4 cores as far as I can tell. They were maybe on 15-20%. An alternative explanation is that I have a config issue, but I always had this config even in RTCW. It is 20 years old... I changed only the resolution, FPS and r_primitves. I don't think there is anything in the config that can affect ET this way. So my last hope that changing the modem solves it. I'll try with FreeBSD again later. Last time I tried it only with 60 FPS, because vsync is enabled by default with FreeBSD. I'll need to figure out how to turn it off and try it with 125 FPS.

Edited by inf3rno
  • 100 1

11 hours ago, inf3rno said:

Ok, I figured out meanwhile. So legacy supports old ET mods too. I cannot connect to the same server, because it has punkbuster, but I can try different servers. I checked with legacy and the CPU usage was not 100% with it. I am not sure about the lag part. You see I live in Europe, so if I connect to an FA server I have 150-200 ping. With that kind of ping it is hard to catch lag issues... 🙂

Haha, i think all FA servers are Legacy compat mate so should be fine on them all connecting with legacy. 

Config wise although you might not have changed anything yourself within your own config there is nothing to say etconfig.cfg isn't the problem, hence why i asked to try legacy.
Legacy will use a clean default config file so your own config wont matter. One thing you could do with 2.60b is delete all the etconfig.cfg files, then when you next start ET it will create new ones for you, see if you still have fps drops etc then??.  

• 4 weeks later...
On 8/25/2020 at 9:58 PM, Snuffs99 said:

Haha, i think all FA servers are Legacy compat mate so should be fine on them all connecting with legacy. 

Config wise although you might not have changed anything yourself within your own config there is nothing to say etconfig.cfg isn't the problem, hence why i asked to try legacy.
Legacy will use a clean default config file so your own config wont matter. One thing you could do with 2.60b is delete all the etconfig.cfg files, then when you next start ET it will create new ones for you, see if you still have fps drops etc then??.  

I bought a new modem meanwhile. It is a little bit better with it, but it did not solve the problem entirely. I tried pbprior too on the pb servers and it is not a solution either. Not to mention that legacy servers don't require it. I'll try the modem connected to the incoming cable without any coaxial switch, but I doubt it will make any difference. So I guess the only answer that my ISP sucks and they cannot give me a decent connection. There is nothing else I could test. I'll try it with FreeBSD again in a few weeks, maybe it is better with it than with Windows. Last time I tried it only with 60 FPS, not with 125. One funny thing about FreeBSD, that it does not have to run many background services and I can disable the desktop too, I could run only ET from command line. It would make it a lot more stable. I'll test my CPU and motherboard too, because I don't have B memory channel. Either the motherboard or the CPU is faulty. In theory that should not affect gaming either, because I had the same lag on a different computer too.