FPS Drops

Quovadis

com_ignorecrash 1 ignores the word unsafe in etconfig.cfg as when you exit the game it thinks it has crashed and disables lots of r_ cvars next time you run the game...which is bad. The game was made without mods like pro, jaymod etc so its a bug that if you dont fix with ignorecrash 1 then you have to edit all the etconfig.cfg's and remove the word unsafe.

its just easier this way than editing files every time you run the game. Check it out search your whole et directory for etconf.cfg and you'll see unsafe all over them.

• Like 1

Guest inf3rno
18 hours ago, Old Owl said:

When you changed to XP to Windows7, have you reinstalled ET or you just restored it from a saved copy? Because just restore it from a folder copy may cause that issue.

I installed Win 7 and ET several times in the last decade. Reinstalling it does not affect anything.

These are my PB settings:

seta cl_punkbuster "1"
seta pb_security "0";
seta pb_system "0"
seta pb_sleep "5000"
seta pb_sv_enable "0"
seta pb_LogToFile "0"
seta pb_SsLog "0"
seta pb_SsSave "0"
seta pb_logmd5tool "0"
seta pb_forceoob "1"
seta pb_ignore "1"

pb_writecfg
16 hours ago, Barn!e said:

com_ignorecrash 1 ignores the word unsafe in etconfig.cfg as when you exit the game it thinks it has crashed and disables lots of r_ cvars next time you run the game...which is bad. The game was made without mods like pro, jaymod etc so its a bug that if you dont fix with ignorecrash 1 then you have to edit all the etconfig.cfg's and remove the word unsafe.

Okay, thanks! I have some unsafe words in my config, so better to turn it on.

I found meanwhile that hunkmegs can be more than 192, it worked on localhost with 512 too. I'll increase it or at least test if low memory causes any problem.

I played maybe an hour today and tried out cl_packedup 0 and r_ignorehwgamma 1. Turning off the packetdup does not seem to cause anything. The gamma is nice, I like it turned on.

They did not affect that people are disappearing or maybe appearing from thin air is a better wording. I had it once today, I am sad I did not manage to capture it on video.

I wonder, maybe I give too low memory to the game and that is causing it. I have no idea tbh, it does not seem to be a network error, at least the lagometer does not show anything and there were only 2 players on the server, so it was not some sort of perforamance related problem I think. Hitbox is off too, but only in the case of certain players, which is weird too.

I managed to set the sensitivity and the DPI of the mouse. I'll try rinput later, but the current sensi looks fine. I just need to try it out. I found a few more cvars I will try out, but they should not have any effect on this phenomenon. In theory.

I think I'll learn how to make video with this radeon software and do it, so maybe I can capture it again.

54 minutes ago, Barn!e said:

I use rinput every time  I run ET your link is the accel fix. I use both. :)

But rinput dont work on win x64, any other proggie for x64? 

38 minutes ago, Gladiator said:

according DoubleDragon its only x32

You can still run any 32bit program on a 64bit OS (thanks to WOW64 which is basically an emulator), in fact most things you run will be 32bit hence why you have an x86 programs folder.

Think about it, ET itself is a 32bit program but runs fine on x64 along with everything else in your programs files (x86) folder. 

EDIT**

However to put your mind at ease i can confirm that rinput runs fine on x64 system. **EDIT

Edited by Snuffs99

Guest inf3rno

I experimented with a few settings. Looks like r_finish is absolutely necessary, otherwise you will start to lag whenever you are near to enemy. I tried to reduce s_mixahead, but turned out if it goes below 0.15 the sound will be muted. The s_mixPreStep is 0.09 here, the default is 0.05 it does not affect anything. Memory does not seem to affect the phenomenon I have. Today I had a funny moment when I jumped behind the guy and he was shooting almost forward and still I died behind him somehow. Apparently my hitbox is miles behind me. Hitbox is total off, clear headshots give me nothing sometimes. And still people appear half sec later on my screen sometimes. This last one is very annoying when I look around fast and miss a person hiding. Ping is still stable 48. I have still no idea what is causing it. I read somewhere that the modems of my ISP contains Intel puma chipset, and that makes online gaming impossible. Maybe that is the reason, idk. Looks like some sort of network error, but I am not sure. https://www.classactionlawyers.com/puma6/ this would explain what I am experiencing and I have this lag since I changed ISP to UPC around 2008-2010.

Guest inf3rno
9 hours ago, Bobekk said:

Hmmmm can you try to make a video via phone or something ? higher snaps if its possible "snaps 20/30/40" 

I have snaps 20 currently. I am not sure if the server allows 40. I can try. In theory the radeon software can make a video, but I am not sure. It makes a video of the desktop but when I enter the game it just stops recording. I'll try again a few days later. I don't want to play today. I think I'll make a replay in the game too and compare them.

hmm

I assume you have port forwarding on your router for ET.

You could set DNS manually that might help and also look at tcp optimizer to setup networking correctly (MTU, CTCP and so on).

https://dns-benchmark.en.softonic.com/

https://www.speedguide.net/downloads.php

Sometimes ISP's use Interleaving which can slow packets a little. Call the ISP and ask them to enable "fastpath on" aka they turn interleaving off. You will sacrifice download speed a little but get better throughput for gaming. Most people dont notice it but I did so BT turned interleaving off for me. Not all of them will but Im that geeky I mention it. :)