FPS Drops

Quovadis

Enemy Territory only uses one core, not matter what setting or affinity you use.

Make sure you have r_swapInterval 0 in your ET config.

Make sure if you type r_lastvalidrenderer in ET console it shows you that ET is using correct GPU (Geforce 460m), not some other motherboard GPU.

Make sure THREADED OPTIMIZATION is turned OFF for ET in NVIDIA control panel. That is usually the main reason for micro fps drops.

Edited by HarryAimpotter

Guest inf3rno
8 hours ago, HarryAimpotter said:

Enemy Territory only uses one core, not matter what setting or affinity you use.

Make sure you have r_swapInterval 0 in your ET config.

Make sure if you type r_lastvalidrenderer in ET console it shows you that ET is using correct GPU (Geforce 460m), not some other motherboard GPU.

Make sure THREADED OPTIMIZATION is turned OFF for ET in NVIDIA control panel. That is usually the main reason for micro fps drops.

I does not matter if I use vsync or not, there are FPS drops in the game. Vsync makes it somewhat more playeable and afaik. I need it for adaptive sync.

I tried it offline and I have FPS drops on localhost too, so there is a good chance it is not my ISP, modem, etc. I replaced almost every hardver in the last decade. some of them even multiple times, so it is not a hardware problem. The only hardware stayed is my PSU, but I tested it with a PSU tester and it is fine. The power consumption is low, so it should be able to handle it.

Another interesting phenomenon that I don't have stable 144FPS here either: https://www.testufo.com/ so probably it cannot be solved by ET config and it is something completely different. The periodic drops sound like CPU throttling, but the power management is completely on performance. The cores barely reach 45°C, so the problem is not with the cooling.

I have a Radeon currently, so it would be hard to set anything in NVIDIA control panel. I am pretty sure I tried that a few years ago when I had NVIDIA. I did not find the per program settings in the Radeon software, I'll check it.

Guest inf3rno
2 hours ago, Barn!e said:

and also check pmove_fixed

It was 1 in the last decade.

7 hours ago, Gladiator said:

@stabak  tried  r_primitives 2?

Sure, I play with that on Radeon.

I uninstalled the GTX 750 Ti with DDU before I installed the RX 580, the r_lastvalidrended writes RX 580, so it should be fine.

I tried cg_lagometer 2, that shows the FPS instead of the ping an I got periodic yellow and sometimes red spikes on it.

Guest inf3rno

I set everything to performance in UEFI too, turned off EIST, EPU and other power management related stuff. No change.

I might try the PSU of my server later, it is better quality than the current one, but I doubt it will have any effect.

I uninstalled the antivirus. No change.

I'll try a Linux OS too. Maybe it is Windows which is causing this.

Guest inf3rno
4 hours ago, Barn!e said:

intel speed step is off in bios?

ahh didnt see the radeon bit, have you tried clock blocker

Thanks, I had the same idea and it turned out EIST, EPU, C-States, etc. was turned on in UEFI. Turning them off fixed the FPS drops which is awesome. :D I still have some sort of lag, but I was able to reach 2:1 k/d ratio, which is not that bad compared to what I had previously. I had some multikills too. The acc is still around 41%, with some practice maybe I can reach 45%. The lag is interesting, the game displays enemies a few hundred msecs later. There is a delay in everything, and it is much harder to avoid nades and panzer. I guess it is some sort of input lag, because the lagometer does not show anything. But I have no idea what exactly input lag means. I checked the CPU usage, it is 1 core with 100% load on 3.6GHz when I connect to the server. I expected a lot less from an old game... The GPU is around 10%, sometimes it jumps to 90%, but those spikes are rare.

AMD Card should be r_primitives 2, pmove_fixed 0/1 not affect any fps settings but if you playing jaymod you must have it at 0 value, Also you can try ET legacy :)

try rinput for the input lag or dinput run them as admin and with rinput just type et.exe and return.

https://fearless-assassins.com/files/file/1656-rinput/

ye from here on its subjective so ye eliminate as much as possible.

Could be cl_packetdup 0/1 could be r_ignorehwgamma 0/1 and many others

Input lag for me is either mouse or Hz of screen so make sure r_displayrefresh is set to your screen Hz.

make sure you have com_hunkmegs _soundmegs and _zonemegs set right and vital is com_ignorecrash 1 best to have that in file target line on desktop shortcut for ET in properties (Target: "C:\Program Files (x86)\Wolfenstein - Enemy Territory\et.exe" +set com_ignorecrash 1; +set com_hunkmegs 256; +set com_zonemegs 64; +set com_soundmegs 128; exec fa.cfg) is mine for EG.

rinput is worth using regardless.

3 hours ago, Bobekk said:

Man you posting a thing which working for mice only... , he mean a monitor input lag if im right. xD

in ET input lag and mouse are connected which is why 125 fps is best.

Guest inf3rno
11 hours ago, Bobekk said:

Man you posting a thing which working for mice only... , he mean a monitor input lag if im right. xD

I am not sure what kind of lag it is. The typical phenomenon that I look into a room, which is completely empty at first glance, but people (and destructable items like pictures) show up a few hundred msecs later. Sometimes they are shooting at me and I am instantly dead without any chance to react. It is not always this bad, but sometimes it happens. I have the same when I go back and forth at corners. The lagometer does not show anything. I need to play more to be certain that this still persists. I think it was tearing at least partially. I am not sure, but maybe I can record it with the Radeon Software if I still have it.

Guest inf3rno
11 hours ago, Bobekk said:

I am not sure what kind of lag it is. The typical phenomenon that I look into a room, which is completely empty at first glance, but people (and destructable items like pictures) show up a few hundred msecs later. Sometimes they are shooting at me and I am instantly dead without any chance to react. It is not always this bad, but sometimes it happens. I have the same when I go back and forth at corners. The lagometer does not show anything. I need to play more to be certain that this still persists. I think it was tearing at least partially. I am not sure, but maybe I can record it with the Radeon Software if I still have it.

8 hours ago, Barn!e said:

ye from here on its subjective so ye eliminate as much as possible.

Could be cl_packetdup 0/1 could be r_ignorehwgamma 0/1 and many others

Input lag for me is either mouse or Hz of screen so make sure r_displayrefresh is set to your screen Hz.

make sure you have com_hunkmegs _soundmegs and _zonemegs set right and vital is com_ignorecrash 1 best to have that in file target line on desktop shortcut for ET in properties (Target: "C:\Program Files (x86)\Wolfenstein - Enemy Territory\et.exe" +set com_ignorecrash 1; +set com_hunkmegs 256; +set com_zonemegs 64; +set com_soundmegs 128; exec fa.cfg) is mine for EG.

rinput is worth using regardless.

I have thse settings: "C:\Program Files (x86)\Wolfenstein - Enemy Territory\et.exe" +set fs_game etpro +set com_hunkMegs “192” +set com_zoneMegs “64” +set com_soundMegs “64” +connect 109.230.239.115:27960

I read somewhere that the game ignores bigger hunkmegs than 192 and that zonemegs and soundmegs are subtracted from hunkmegs, so the sum of those cannot be bigger than hunkmegs. Idk what happens when the total reaches 192 as in your case.

I have cl_packetdup on, r_ignorehwgamma  off. The r_displayrefresh  is set properly. I am not sure what com_ignorecrash  does. I'll play a few hours tomorrow and try out these settings.