FPS Drops

Quovadis

18 minutes ago, HarryAimpotter said:

I always make my configs read-only so ET cant overwrite anything.

One way to do it i suppose but unless your config is called etconfig it wont overwrite anything anyway.

• Like 1

On 4/3/2020 at 7:16 PM, Barn!e said:

hmm

I assume you have port forwarding on your router for ET.

You could set DNS manually that might help and also look at tcp optimizer to setup networking correctly (MTU, CTCP and so on).

https://dns-benchmark.en.softonic.com/

https://www.speedguide.net/downloads.php

Sometimes ISP's use Interleaving which can slow packets a little. Call the ISP and ask them to enable "fastpath on" aka they turn interleaving off. You will sacrifice download speed a little but get better throughput for gaming. Most people dont notice it but I did so BT turned interleaving off for me. Not all of them will but Im that geeky I mention it. :)

I downloaded the DNS benchmark from here: https://www.grc.com/dns/benchmark.htm I read that downloading software from softonic is not a good idea.

The results are interesting:

2059416941_dnsresults.thumb.png.b4b175a860b3155f37abaa46cd127920.png

So it looks like my current DNS server is unreliable and it would be better to change it. I am not sure though how much this affects ET performance. I mean I give IP address when connecting to a server and even if I would give a domain name it would be resolved only once I think. After that I would have the IP in cache.

I did another test:

https://www.meter.net/ping-test/202013-219878-8489.html

I want to be sure it is just me having these ping spikes. Can you check it with your connection too?

I am not sure what they mean though. I already pinged google.com from terminal for several minutes maybe even an hour and it did not have these spikes. Maybe the connections with some of the servers are unreliable and google.com is not one of them.

I'll check the TCP optimizer later.

I never heard of interleaving, but this issue with ET is something everybody would notice. I can ask them, but support is really bad in my country.

I am not sure about port forwarding. I mean I did not set anything on the router it just worked out of the box. Since I run the client, not the server I don't think I should open a port.

I have a server computer too. I can add my GTX 750 Ti to it and try it with ET. It has a strong Xeon CPU, similar to my i5 in performance. I can use the 750 Ti with 60Hz screens only, but I got this lag on 60Hz too.

Another thing I want to try is connecting the router directly to the incoming cable and leaving out inside cabling. Maybe it is just a faulty cable inside the house.

I would be nice to reproduce this somehow without playing ET. Not that I hate playing, I just don't have that much time for it. I need to start my own business and that takes a lot of time.

On 4/4/2020 at 8:12 AM, HarryAimpotter said:

I always make my configs read-only so ET cant overwrite anything.

I have my config in separate files and load them with autoexec.cfg.

On 4/1/2020 at 2:02 PM, Barn!e said:

I use rinput every time  I run ET your link is the accel fix. I use both. :)

I leave out rinput for now. It is not a mouse issue, though I thought it is for a few years. I tried out many different mice, since I felt it similar to accel, but people are disappearing from the map and hitboxes are total off and mouseaccel cannot cause that.

21 minutes ago, inf3rno said:

I downloaded the DNS benchmark from here: https://www.grc.com/dns/benchmark.htm I read that downloading software from softonic is not a good idea.

So it looks like my current DNS server is unreliable and it would be better to change it. I am not sure though how much this affects ET performance. I mean I give IP address when connecting to a server and even if I would give a domain name it would be resolved only once I think. After that I would have the IP in cache.

Softsonic tend to bundle unwanted software into a lot of their downloads and installs so it was a wise move to use gibson research instead.

DNS wise is easy to change and try others, you can change to Googles public DNS servers instead, might help.

Windows 10 go to start-->settings-->network and internet-->change adapter settings-->click on your adapter-->properties-->internet protocol version 4 then click Use the following DNS server addresses

Windows 7/8 instead go to control panel-->network and sharing--> change adapter settings........^^^^

Then use the following DNS servers

Re run any tests and cross your fingers. :)

Edited by Snuffs99
  • Like 1

• Leader

The other day I messed up my cfg and started to have fps drops.

Just to make sure what settings you have for:

r_displayrefresh

r_primitives

com_maxfps

com_zonemegs

com_hunkmegs

cl_maxpackets

snaps

rate

On 4/5/2020 at 4:32 PM, Snuffs99 said:

Softsonic tend to bundle unwanted software into a lot of their downloads and installs so it was a wise move to use gibson research instead.

DNS wise is easy to change and try others, you can change to Googles public DNS servers instead, might help.

Windows 10 go to start-->settings-->network and internet-->change adapter settings-->click on your adapter-->properties-->internet protocol version 4 then click Use the following DNS server addresses

Windows 7/8 instead go to control panel-->network and sharing--> change adapter settings........^^^^

Then use the following DNS servers

Re run any tests and cross your fingers. :)

Looks like it has nothing to do with the DNS server. It is not normal that I don't have stable connection to one of the DNS servers of my ISP. I think I have unstable connection to around half of the servers on the world for some reason.

I did a ping test again: https://www.meter.net/ping-test/202013-342225-d04a.html

uzpcx.thumb.png.a1565c4fb681c40bcfabc66ff2112144.png

I have these 300ms spikes 24/7. It explains why in game it feels like if the download would stop for a while and continue later. This explains that sometimes people appear from nothingness, I don't hear their sounds and they just show up on my screen. Losing upload explains why they are shooting my old position and I got hit that way. So I guess I lose both download and upload with these spikes. I'll report it to the ISP, but I do more tests before that. I want to make sure it is not my PC what is causing it.

24 minutes ago, inf3rno said:

I'll report it to the ISP, but I do more tests before that. I want to make sure it is not my PC what is causing it.

If your doing more testing before contacting ISP then you can also try and flush your DNS and maybe reset your hosts file.

To flush DNS

Open cmd prompt as admin

Type ipconfig /flushdns (press enter)

Type ipconfig /registerdns (press enter)

Type ipconfig /release (press enter)

Type ipconfig /renew (press enter)

Type netsh winsock reset (press enter)

Then reboot and test

If still no good reset your hosts file.

https://support.microsoft.com/en-gb/help/972034/how-to-reset-the-hosts-file-back-to-the-default

Once again once done reboot and test  

Failing all that try and boot into safe mode with networking and test again to make sure its nothing starting with windows giving you issues.

GL

Edited by Snuffs99
  • 100 1

2 hours ago, Snuffs99 said:

If your doing more testing before contacting ISP then you can also try and flush your DNS and maybe reset your hosts file.

To flush DNS

Open cmd prompt as admin

Then reboot and test

https://support.microsoft.com/en-gb/help/972034/how-to-reset-the-hosts-file-back-to-the-default

Failing all that try and boot into safe mode with networking and test again to make sure its nothing starting with windows giving you issues.

GL

Ok. I'll do it now. I still don't understand how this is related to gaming. I give IP addresses, DNS is not even used for it. The hosts file is on default.

2 hours ago, Snuffs99 said:

To flush DNS

Open cmd prompt as admin

Then reboot and test

GL

Ok, I tied it even in safe mode. It has no effect as expected. I changed the DNS server too, it does not affect it either.

On 4/5/2020 at 5:19 PM, rambozo37 said:

The other day I messed up my cfg and started to have fps drops.

Just to make sure what settings you have for:

r_displayrefresh

r_primitives

com_maxfps

com_zonemegs

com_hunkmegs

cl_maxpackets

snaps

rate

r_displayrefresh 144

r_primitives 2

com_maxfps 125

com_zonemegs 56

com_hunkmegs 192

cl_maxpackets 100

snaps 20

rate 25000

The game settings look ok. I think it is the network connection which is unstable, the ping on TCP jumps to 300 in every few secs. I guess the game measures the ping with ICMP, that's why I don't see anything on lagometer. I checked the source code though and it looked like the game uses TCP for the lagometer too, so I am not sure.

Edited by inf3rno
  • Like 1

On this Laptop you using wifi  or via cable ? If you have unprotected wifi in house maybe someone is connected all the time , if by RJ45 (common internet cable) check if everythings is allright.

Also try cl_timenudge -50

Edited by Punitron

Well was worth a try and it looks like you've done more or less everything you can mate so go through ISP and see what they say. 

Let us know how it goes

• Like 1

• 3 months later...

Looks like I have 100% CPU on one core even on an empty server. I play with WQHD and 125 FPS, but it appears to be too much for a core i5 4670k. I'll try with lower resolution or FPS, I am curious if it changes anything. I just don't get how or why, because on localhost I had 5-700 FPS and on server even 125 FPS is not constant.

I checked, even with 1280x720 and 76 FPS I have 100% cpu usage on the first core and FPS drops on an empty server.

I checked with 10 FPS too, it does not have any effect. I checked with 30 maxpackets, 512 hunkmegs and who knows what else, but did not find a config option that affects the CPU usage. Weird.

Edited by inf3rno