Copy of ET DemoView source?

the cake is a lie
Go to solution Solved by RedBaird,

Does anyone still have a copy of the source code for Sunlight's demo viewer?

The link to download the source is broken (probably during a forum migration?)  but it looks like up to 36 of you may have a copy somewhere. Also, it was attachment #43238 if there is an old backup of the forums it could be pulled from.

I wanted to get a closer look how he handled the auto unlagging (eg. does it factor in time nudge) and fix a few bugs I've encountered. (Eventually I'd also like to port the demo viewer features directly into the ETLegacy client.)

If no one has it, I'm sure I can bug Sunlight to post it again but... it can be dangerous to wake the old gods from their slumber.

• Like 2

Unfortunately, no. What I'm looking for would have downloaded from the forum as "demoviewer_code.zip" and then when unzipped probably a folder named "demoviewer_code". Inside that folder is probably just a bunch of C programming language files that have the extensions .c and .h

• Leader
On 4/15/2022 at 10:06 AM, the cake is a lie said:

broken (probably during a forum migration?)

It looks like I had discovered that the source-code file was missing and edited Sunlight's post on "December 4, 2018" to say that.  That was after the "new forums" were installed.

I will try to search my "jumbled stuff" to see if perchance I had downloaded it.  That sounds like something that I would do, even if I don't know C/C++.  😄  I did a cursory search around GitHub but did not find it.  Does anyone know what name that "Sunglight" might use there? :hmm 

**redacted**

@the cake is a lie You should add some air controls to a mod.  Think I still have the source for an unfinished project of dinius's to make a cpma mod for ET.  He built it off of jaymod I believe but never got around to fixing the antilag, pmove, or something along those lines so the hit detection was a mess.  I wanted to do it with silent mod but the source is hush hush for obvious reasons.  Even with out any of those things the source from different q3 and etrun mods are available to steal snippets from. 

• Thanks 1

• Leader
  • Solution
1 hour ago, daredevil said:

@RedBaird - Please share from your back up. Got go green from Sunlight. Thanks. 

I don't know C, but the file looks like a PATCH file to edit some files in the public ET Source Code, which makes sense now. 😄 

I uploaded my copy to Sunlight's original "source-sharing post" and copied that attachment link below here:

SunLight-demoviewer_code.zip

Edited by RedBaird
Shrank the link text
  • Thanks 1

19 minutes ago, RedBaird said:

I don't know C, but the file looks like a PATCH file to edit some files in the public ET Source Code, which makes sense now. 😄 

SunLight-demoviewer_code.zipUnavailable

I got this, when click on code-zip link

https://fearless-assassins.com/applications/core/interface/file/attachment.php?id=96076&key=2c60060e154c1ae4e2eb3c26ea044588

• Sad 1

• Leader
1 minute ago, Leatherface said:

I got this, when click on code-zip link

Sorry, Leatherface, I had just replaced my original upload link to this topic with the one that I had just uploaded to Sunlight's source-code post.  😄 

• 100 1

Hey, this is fantastic. Thank you to everyone who spent time scrounging around looking for this.

I will probably bundle the source with the bug fixed version so it is harder for us all to lose in the future.

Bugs to fix:

-- demo_seek... commands sometimes cause crashes when also using demo_follow doing a rewind seek

-- player models are temporarily inaccurate after a seek or changing unlag settings

>> either fix the inaccuracy or add a temporary caution message after seeking

-- fix jaymod "connection disabled" double popup warning when playing a demo

>> probably a mod bug but the source will help clarify the root cause

-- make it easier to view the command map (currently you have to put \+mapexpand in console)

New features I'd like to add:

-- add a loop on/off, loop_start, and loop_end commands to let you look at the same interval multiple times with minimal effort

-- allow the user to set preferred r_shownormals style for use with the A key with something like \demo_autonormals 0-7

-- backport the TAB autocomplete for demo names from ETLegacy (so you an skip the REPLAYS) menu altogether

-- add convenience keys that do something like \demo_seek -15 and -30

-- if possible, add a notification if the player ping is significantly different than the demo_unlag setting such as during a lag spike

-- if possible, add a key to advance the view by 1 millisecond to get more precise screenshots

Let me know if there are any other bugs that need to be fixed and other features you'd like to see added.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 3