New Monitor Config changes

ASBO

Hi ET config gods,

Invested in a new monitor, which should arrive today, because my old one started getting dead pixels and some vertical lines. So need to update my cfg for the new monitor, i know not much about cfg details but from my research i have the following to make sure is changed:

r_mode "-1"

r_customheight "1440"

r_customwidth "2560"

r_fullscreen "1"

cg_fov 106.27

My old monitor was 60hz but the new one is 240hz, so for this I have:

r_displayrefresh "240"

com_maxfps "240"

com_hunkmegs "256"

Does all this seem ok? Or have i missed something obvious?

People always talk about these magical ET values which are basically divisible's of 1000: 500, 333, 250, 125 etc Even though the refresh rate of the monitor can theoretically get 240 should i be setting it lower to 125? is there much benefit to this?

Thanks

ASBO

• Like 1
  • 100 1

Hunkmegs cannot be set connected to a Server.

See what refresh rate can be used with videocard at that Res:

Right-click on Desktop, Screen Resolution, Advanced Settings, List all modes(You may have to navigate to that differently with Win 10)

What I do is choose Mode with highest refresh rate and highest resolution...

• Thanks 1
  • 100 1

I think the server compensates for whatever FPS you play at to not give people an advantage with these 2 cvars:

set g_fixedPhysics              "1"
set g_fixedPhysicsFPS           "125"

These are in the server config and they even the playing field as far as I'm aware. No need to mess about with FPS for an advantage, I play at 85 FPS cause it's the default and don't really care to mess around with that stuff. I haven't noticed anything odd.

If you want to read up on refresh rate here's a good article: https://www.avadirect.com/blog/frame-rate-fps-vs-hz-refresh-rate/

If you set your FPS above your refresh rate it shouldn't make a difference to how you see the game. Set it to whatever you want above 240. I think 1000 is the cap cause then the game gets funky and drop packets.

If you're interested in why these quirks happen it's basically cause of a rounding function. Here's a good video on the subject: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=he02vJvKaRs

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • 100 1

Thanks for those @ElEl  helped me to understand it better

I am actually using a stop gap GPU until my new one gets delivered so I did not even think to check the output on the current one compared to the refresh rate.

I guess with the fixedphysics and the maxpackets at 125 there is not much point in playing the game with it set over that. 

I have only ever played ET at 60fps so will be interesting to play it at 125 anyhow!

15 hours ago, ElEl said:

I think the server compensates for whatever FPS you play at to not give people an advantage with these 2 cvars:

set g_fixedPhysics              "1"
set g_fixedPhysicsFPS           "125"

These are in the server config and they even the playing field as far as I'm aware. No need to mess about with FPS for an advantage, I play at 85 FPS cause it's the default and don't really care to mess around with that stuff. I haven't noticed anything odd.

If you want to read up on refresh rate here's a good article: https://www.avadirect.com/blog/frame-rate-fps-vs-hz-refresh-rate/

If you set your FPS above your refresh rate it shouldn't make a difference to how you see the game. Set it to whatever you want above 240. I think 1000 is the cap cause then the game gets funky and drop packets.

If you're interested in why these quirks happen it's basically cause of a rounding function. Here's a good video on the subject: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=he02vJvKaRs

Saved me answering, i was going to write the same sort of thing last night but i've discovered if i leave it a bit longer someone else usually answers for me.  😄

as harry aimpotter shows different fps still seems to affect the height you can jump even with fixed physics settings but the best advantage to using higher fps is less input lag

1000 ms / 60 fps = 16.6 ms delay

1000 ms  / 125 fps  = 8 ms delay

1000 ms / 165 fps  = 6 ms delay

1000 ms / 250 fps = 4 ms delay

1 hour ago, HarryAimpotter said:

Ok, then explain this. 

Video is done in FA BEG2

I would guess that Beginners 2 doesn't have the cvars enabled.

52 minutes ago, MikeSlayer said:

1000 ms / 60 fps = 16.6 ms delay

1000 ms  / 125 fps  = 8 ms delay

1000 ms / 165 fps  = 6 ms delay

1000 ms / 250 fps = 4 ms delay

I'm not sure this is how that works. Input lag would be based off packets sent - not client-side visual data right? I can tell you that there certainly isn't 11.76ms of delay when I play at 85fps and change weapon/jump/whatever. Or I guess 11.11ms cause I think ET sets the minimum to 90fps. 

I'll look into it a bit more in a few days, I'm quite busy for a bit.

• 100 1

it is how is works that is the time between frames being refreshed on your screen

if someone comes round a corner the time it takes for u to see him appear the next frame is up to 16ms at 60 and half that at 125

in testing i have felt a noticeable difference in responsiveness using higher fps but my poor internet wont handle over 125 with more than a few players