New Monitor Config changes

ASBO

10 hours ago, ElEl said:

I think ET differs in that cl_maxpackets has a maximum value of 100. So I guess this shows that the video has no relevance in regards to maxpackets for ET?

I tested on the test server and there's a clear height difference with g_setphysicsFPS 125 and 333. With 333 you can jump higher, not by much but it is higher. Next time supply depot is on Jay2 I'll be sure to test if the server has that setting on.

I'm not sure why beginner's #2 wouldn't have it on, seems daft not to in my opinion. Is that where you recorded that video on pirates @HarryAimpotter

Yes, my 166 FPS video was done in Beginners 2.

18 hours ago, ElEl said:

I think ET differs in that cl_maxpackets has a maximum value of 100. So I guess this shows that the video has no relevance in regards to maxpackets for ET?

The video is about the game engine so it is very relevant. 

If the maximum max packets in ET is 100 then its less calculations/second than the engine can handle. Now given 125 packets causes the engine to have adverse jump arcs over 125fps i'd have thought being limited further to only 100 calculations per second is actually worse than the 125 i thought it was. 

Aimpotters vids show how the jump arcs degrade over 125fps. Yes you are able to do jumps @ 85, 100, 125 333 etc etc on jay1 and 2 but only because g_setphysicsFPS (the Q3 jump arcs "fix") is turned on. 

If the jump arc issues didn't exist in ET which uses the same game engine then ET would not need g_setphysicsFPS turned on to "fix" the jump arc issues.

So yeah the video is relevant IMHO, and you have answered your own question to me regarding how i know the limit was 125 calculations per second, turns out as you said its actually only 100 calculations per second that ET can handle.

For ref NQ1 doesn't have g_setphysicsFPS turned on either but given double jump is on its all academic. 

Edited by Snuffs99

4 minutes ago, Snuffs99 said:

The video is about the game engine so it is very relevant. 

18 hours ago, ElEl said:

So I guess this shows that the video has no relevance in regards to maxpackets for ET?

Read what I said. Yes the video is relevant for the FPS and physics calculations but not in regards to maxpackets. Doesn't the fact that ET handles supposedly "less calculations/second" disprove that it's due to maxpackets? I fail to see how maxpackets is relevant when the cause of the higher jump is from rounding errors. I don't trust the claim that maxpackets = calculations/second either. I'm not sure where that came from. The fact that ET has a lower max value for the cvar should show that this claim isn't true given that ET has a lot more stuff going on at a given time, it should require more calculations if anything.

22 hours ago, Snuffs99 said:

So i understand it as saying that on the internet although 333 IS the game engines max height your limited by the maximum 125 calculation per seconds (maxpackets),,,,as a result 125fps is the best to use in the Q3 engine online?? Yet on a LAN you could use 333 with better results as you don't have the 125 max packet limit.?

This is not the case. I tested this on the test server which is not LAN and I found 333 gave a higher jump arc. Back in the days of Quake 3, players used a lower rate setting, I think this is what he was trying to talk about in the video. They couldn't use rates of 45000 like we do nowadays thanks to broadband internet. 

From my understanding, the client sends the server information about where the client is at a rate of 20 times per second, it's nothing to do with maxpackets, it's snaps. Set your maxfps to 20 and you'll see you get no interpolation in between frames (the blue meter on the lagometer).

The client calculates using the formula for jump height (which has an error depending on FPS) and sends it to the server. This is why the clientside FPS affects the height. So the fix is, force all clients to calculate movement as if they were calculating at 125 FPS. I don't know why this feature isn't enabled on Beginners 2 or NQ1, as I said I think it's daft not to have this turned on.

I think the default of 125 is just from the days when people couldn't run at 333 FPS and it's just been kept at that, setting it to 333 would give a greater jump height for everyone. 

12 minutes ago, Snuffs99 said:

Yes you are able to do jumps @ 85, 100, 125 333 etc etc on jay1 and 2 but only because g_setphysicsFPS (the Q3 jump arcs "fix") is turned on. 

Exactly like I said here:

17 hours ago, ElEl said:

I just tested it on Jay1 and Jay2 with 85, 100, 125, 250 fps and the box jump from my video is possible on both servers with those FPS values => both servers have g_fixedPhysicsFPS 125.

The => symbol means implies. Not sure why you're telling me something I've already said 😅

To bring this back to the original point of the topic my advice is this: play on a server that has g_fixedPhysicsFPS enabled so you don't have to worry about it 🤣

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, ElEl said:

Read what I said. Yes the video is relevant for the FPS and physics calculations but not in regards to maxpackets. Doesn't the fact that ET handles supposedly "less calculations/second" disprove that it's due to maxpackets? I fail to see how maxpackets is relevant when the cause of the higher jump is from rounding errors. I don't trust the claim that maxpackets = calculations/second either. I'm not sure where that came from. The fact that ET has a lower max value for the cvar should show that this claim isn't true given that ET has a lot more stuff going on at a given time, it should require more calculations if anything.

Sorry my bad, clearly i didn't read it properly...DOH!

This is not the case. I tested this on the test server which is not LAN and I found 333 gave a higher jump arc. Back in the days of Quake 3, players used a lower rate setting, I think this is what he was trying to talk about in the video. They couldn't use rates of 45000 like we do nowadays thanks to broadband internet. 

From my understanding, the client sends the server information about where the client is at a rate of 20 times per second, it's nothing to do with maxpackets, it's snaps. Set your maxfps to 20 and you'll see you get no interpolation in between frames (the blue meter on the lagometer).

The client calculates using the formula for jump height (which has an error depending on FPS) and sends it to the server. This is why the clientside FPS affects the height. So the fix is, force all clients to calculate movement as if they were calculating at 125 FPS. I don't know why this feature isn't enabled on Beginners 2 or NQ1, as I said I think it's daft not to have this turned on.

I think the default of 125 is just from the days when people couldn't run at 333 FPS and it's just been kept at that, setting it to 333 would give a greater jump height for everyone. 

Surely if you have g_fixedPhysicsFPS enabled though having 333FPS wont make any difference to your jump arc compared with say 76FPS? 

Exactly like I said here:

The => symbol means implies. Not sure why you're telling me something I've already said 😅

Yeah I was just pointing out that the reason you could make those jumps on the different FPS settings was only because g_fixedPhysicsFPS was on, if it had not of been on you would not of been able to make the jumps with every FPS setting.

To bring this back to the original point of the topic my advice is this: play on a server that has g_fixedPhysicsFPS enabled so you don't have to worry about it 🤣

😄 

Good advise, i'll go with that and call it a day.

44 minutes ago, Snuffs99 said:

Surely if you have g_fixedPhysicsFPS enabled though having 333FPS wont make any difference to your jump arc compared with say 76FPS? 

g_fixedPhysicsFPS isn't an on/off cvar, you give it an FPS. I tested with g_fixedPhysicsFPS 333 and g_fixedPhysicsFPS 125 and found 333 was a higher jump.

yes all my trick jumping pro friends swear by 333 fps but i never really had the hardware and or internet connection to support or test that setting properly

so 333 fps would also give only 3ms of input lag the fastest so far

but you are prob going to have to invest in a 340hz+ refresh rate monitor to get the full effect although i will test 333 fps with my 165 hz which should display every 2nd frame almost  perfectly

48 minutes ago, ElEl said:

g_fixedPhysicsFPS isn't an on/off cvar, you give it an FPS. I tested with g_fixedPhysicsFPS 333 and g_fixedPhysicsFPS 125 and found 333 was a higher jump.

😄 Yeah was meaning you had set it, so it was "on".

If i get any spare time later i'll have a play on the testserver with various settings, but tbh as i only really play double jump servers it sort of negates the need.  I think the last time i even noticed an issue was Adler on NQ1, its set to default single jump and i couldn't get on the boxes with anything but 125......I'll play about later.

Out of interest if you set g_fixedPhysicsFPS to a value (lets say 125) does that then make every FPS setting the same jump wise? I notice you said you've tried both g_fixedPhysicsFPS 125 and 333 yet 333 gives a higher jump 

For example i set my FPS to 90 my end but the server has g_fixedPhysicsFPS 125, am i then able to jump the same with 90FPS as i would if my FPS were actually set to 125? Would i then be able to jump on the box on Adler with my 90FPS? 

@ASBO Sorry i wasn't meaning to hijack your thread but i'm totally in agreement with ElEl, either play a server with g_fixedPhysicsFPS set, or just play a double jump server in which case you wont care.

Edited by Snuffs99

11 hours ago, Snuffs99 said:

@ASBO Sorry i wasn't meaning to hijack your thread but i'm totally in agreement with ElEl, either play a server with g_fixedPhysicsFPS set, or just play a double jump server in which case you wont care.

Not at all this has all been great, my questions got answered early on so from here it has just been a great learning experience! I actually understand what people talk about with magic ET numbers now.

I only play on FA silent servers really and sometime muppet legacy, love both of those mods

I have been messing about with loads of settings recently after the new monitor; since going to a different screen resolution, playing at 125 fps  and using rinput for the 1st time all at the same time has really messed up my aim, not that it was that good to begin with 😂

• Like 1
  • Haha 1