Windows Updating Current Build

Tough one but i agree with others tbh, buy a decent monitor and wait to upgrade.

Moving from intel to Ryzen? Well the AM4+ socket is at end of life now, sure you can buy a 5000 series Ryzen but you will be doing yourself a disservice as the next gen CPU from AMD will come with a new CPU socket mobo (probably AM5).

You will see a much nicer picture with a 144+ refresh screen, you can certainly tell the difference going from a 60 to 144 so go for a monitor now and wait till the next gen AMD along with the newer socket Mobo etc then buy.

• Like 1
  • 100 2

ya right now with it being the middle to end of the year everything is  going out of date or  new  shit starting to come out or 1 of 2 things  news of something new is coming out that better than what out now  or  hints of new shit coming out that is  why i was saying right now not really the best time to upgrade now buying a new pc is hole another story prices on them are  dropping or  going up with  the holidays days coming up 

best times of the year to be on the look out for  updating is at the start of the year or the end of the year  middle of the year your looking at  used stuff  or over priced shit lol 

and ya i know it was just a normal 1080 that why i was saying the card you have is fine it's still pretty much a beast it's self   that card still  700$ lol with the  2060 only going for around 400$ tops hell even the new  3080 rtx is 700$ same prices as the  1080 ti 

• Like 1

• Platinum VIP
1 hour ago, *Kiba* said:

ya right now with it being the middle to end of the year everything is  going out of date or  new  shit starting to come out or 1 of 2 things  news of something new is coming out that better than what out now  or  hints of new shit coming out that is  why i was saying right now not really the best time to upgrade now buying a new pc is hole another story prices on them are  dropping or  going up with  the holidays days coming up 

best times of the year to be on the look out for  updating is at the start of the year or the end of the year  middle of the year your looking at  used stuff  or over priced shit lol 

and ya i know it was just a normal 1080 that why i was saying the card you have is fine it's still pretty much a beast it's self   that card still  700$ lol with the  2060 only going for around 400$ tops hell even the new  3080 rtx is 700$ same prices as the  1080 ti 

That's crazy that newer cards are not as good as older cards. The 20 series was so promoted, too

You can skip the 20 series completely.  A 30 series at msrp is a lot more bang for your buck.  If you wait for the shortage to ease up and prices to normalize on the 30 series, you'll also have the choice of the next series and the even greater price reduction their release causes on the 30's.

As for the heavy promotions from nvidia... if you haven't noticed, nvidia only cares about profit, not the end user.  They're getting worse and worse and some of the releases they did during the lockdown were downright scummy.   

• Like 1
  • 100 4

you dont need a beast pc to play et anyhow.lol

but that 144hz monitor does make a big diff . specially in long shots. i bought a tuff gaming asus vg 2490,an i am happy . 

plus upgrading a pc right now ..u better dam sure need it with them sky high prices.i also read a piece on 1080 spanking the 2060.. what other stuff do u use your pc for besides et. ??cuz et literally runs on a old ass pc u can buy at a rummage sale for 10 bucks.lol the days of pc tech giving you a advantage in the et world are over .. i play on a 550 amd duel core old mobo asus and a 660ti gpu. an i think i far pretty well in et. an on windows rank .. my pc is a paperweight.lol

Edited by captnconcrete

9 hours ago, -=HipKat=- said:

That's crazy that newer cards are not as good as older cards. The 20 series was so promoted, too

i don't think it's really all that crazy the  1080 ti was meant to be a middle ground gaming card from the start and the  30 and 20 series in my book are just doing nothing but building off the 1080 ti this is just my  opinion i have not really done any  research on it just when the card came out everyone was going nuts over it like they are now over the 3060+ series there all pretty much okay cards but  i think just down right just your ever day gamer  a 1080 ti is all you need that thing can just about play anything with a stable  FPS   of  60+  any of the  A+ rated games  that are out right now the card as been  beat to shit and back and still running okay 

the crazy thing is tho that the  1080 ti is still a very hot card lot of gamer want that card just as much as they want the  30 series now i think that why the prices of the  20 series are so low is that they don't really offer you more bang for your buck like the 1080 ti does some of the 20 series could run just as good if not better than the  1080 ti but  from what i seen there all not as stable as the 1080 ti reason the prices for the card have not really drop no more than 200$ since the card has come out  

like i said this are just my opinion on the cards  i have not done no more  research on them other then look at prices and  some youtube videos here and there of the cards being put to the test vs newer cards

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

I read that Nvidia is trying to address the bitcoin miners taking all the vid cards;

"Halving Hash Rate

To help get GeForce GPUs in the hands of gamers, we announced in February that all GeForce RTX 3060 graphics cards shipped with a reduced Ethereum hash rate.

Today, we’re taking additional measures by applying a reduced ETH hash rate to newly manufactured GeForce RTX 3080, RTX 3070 and RTX 3060 Ti graphics cards. These cards will start shipping in late May."

https://blogs.nvidia.com/blog/2021/05/18/lhr/

2 hours ago, Blunt said:

I read that Nvidia is trying to address the bitcoin miners taking all the vid cards;

"Halving Hash Rate

To help get GeForce GPUs in the hands of gamers, we announced in February that all GeForce RTX 3060 graphics cards shipped with a reduced Ethereum hash rate.

Today, we’re taking additional measures by applying a reduced ETH hash rate to newly manufactured GeForce RTX 3080, RTX 3070 and RTX 3060 Ti graphics cards. These cards will start shipping in late May."

https://blogs.nvidia.com/blog/2021/05/18/lhr/

That was a a few months back now mate, plus it was bypassed within a day. 😄

New cards should get a little bit easier as China have banned mining etc. The miners are now selling their used cards in bulk at silly prices. I cant imagine the state of a card after months and months of running at 100% 24/7

Edited by Snuffs99
  • Like 1
  • Surprise 1

• Platinum VIP

I caught a headline on my phone this morning that 30-series cards would start showing up in stores soon for MSRP pricing. I see the 3060ti at Best buy for $400 USD at Best Buy

• 100 1

• Administrators
On 7/20/2021 at 8:38 PM, -=HipKat=- said:

I caught a headline on my phone this morning that 30-series cards would start showing up in stores soon for MSRP pricing. I see the 3060ti at Best buy for $400 USD at Best Buy

What you plan to run on that one? Just curious. 

• Platinum VIP
1 hour ago, daredevil said:

What you plan to run on that one? Just curious. 

Same thing I do now - Gaming, streaming, internet, graphics - a little bit of everything - but this is all on hold after having to put 6K in repairs on my truck this summer :(

Edited by -=HipKat=-

ET is heavily CPU dependent

I've found i can run at 125 fps with onboard graphics if the CPU is powerful enough

You really only need that single core clock speed so even older i5 or i7 CPU run ET great anything from  2600 series +  paired with your 1050ti should run ET pretty well

• Like 2

@Buckwild Mike is right.  Whatever CPU you were using is what was holding you back.  I was running as low as 50fps on jay1 with an older i7 and a 760gtx. I recently updated to an amd 5600x and now have a solid 125fps while still using the 760gtx.

• Like 1

I'd argue ET is more GPU dependent.   ET uses OpenGL which leans heavily on the GPU, unlike a game like Counter Strike which is heavily CPU dependent (boy did I learn the hard way how much my CPU sucked with that game).   I owned a 6600 card and couldn't always maintain 125 FPS, same rig upgraded to a GTX 9800 and could easily maintain 125 FPS.  Recently my vid card took a dump (the 9800) so I used a 710 for a few weeks and had trouble with 76 FPS (same rig), I have a 1060 right now, but still think my 9800 performed better for this 16 year old game, it had so much more GPU power. 

Not to discount anyone's opinion on CPU, I am sure it matters at some level.  For example going from a slow celeron processor to I5, but I just haven't had the same experiences.