Windows Updating Current Build

• Platinum VIP

My build is 2 years old and I'm considering some upgrades and some pretty big ones.

This is the current build:

CPU - Intel Core i7-8700K 

CPU COOLER - Noctua NH-D15 SSO2 D-Type Premium CPU Cooler

GPU ASUS - nVidia GeForce 1080 Turbo

SSD - Samsung 850 Evo 500GB

HDD - Western Digital Re WD3001FYYG 4TB 7200 RPM SAS 6Gb/s 32MB Cache (Storage Drive)

HDD - Western Digital 500GB 7200 RPM  (Dedicated Linux Drive)

EHD - Seagate 4TB

RAM - HyperX Fury DDR4 2666 4X8GB

MBD - ASUS ROG Maximus X Hero (Wi-Fi AC) LGA1151

KBD - Hyper-X Origins

MOU - Logitech MX518 2019 

MNT - 2 Samsung UE590 28" 4K 3840 X 2160 Resolution (UHD)

CASE - Thermaltake Core X71 Tempered Glass Edition

PWR - Rosewill Gaming Power Supply / PSU, 1000 Watt (1000W) 80 PLUS Bronze 

OS - Windows 10 64Bit Pro

What I might Update:

MBD: Asus PRIME Z590-P WiFi - $210 (USD)

CPU: Intel® Core™ i7-11700K Processor - $435

GPU: nVIdia GEFORCE RTX 2060 = $500 (If I order by Tuesday)

SSD: Samsung SSD 850 PRO 2.5" SATA III 1TB - $200

I'd love to upgrade one Monitor to 144Hz refresh, but that's just not affordable and also, I think I'm in good shape with the RAM I have now but I'm open to ideas and suggestions

• Like 1

4 hours ago, -=HipKat=- said:

I'd love to upgrade one Monitor to 144Hz refresh, but that's just not affordable and also, I think I'm in good shape with the RAM I have now but I'm open to ideas and suggestions

Depends what you use your build for. If it's mainly for gaming (or if you play a lot of FPS games ), I would prioritize upgrading your monitor before the other suggested parts.

Just taking ET as an example. with your current build, you can easily play at 125 fps (or more if you don't care about the magic numbers). But with your current 60 Hz monitor, you might as well be setting your fps at 60. Even if your build is capable of way more, your monitor won't allow it. Upgrading your monitor would allow to see more than twice the number of images per sec.  Now again, that's only useful for you if you prefer playing FPS games ^_^

Also, you can already find decent 144Hz monitors at moderate prices (between 150€ and 200€).

• Like 1
  • 100 2

I second what @Cross Marian said.  Keeping FPS/ET in mind you'll get much better results out of a new monitor with a high refresh rate and low response time than updating you're other components, which are already pretty decent.  Your old eyes will visually love it and anything to helps your input time goes a long way in a FPS.  

Hold off on a graphics card until the end of the year or early next year.  Prices and availability on the newer cards should be starting to sort themselves out by then.  

• Like 1
  • Love 1
  • 100 2

• Platinum VIP
1 hour ago, MikeSlayer said:

keep the 1080 its a beast card and still dominates the 2060

It does?? 

@Cross Marian @Haruhi Suzumiya I really DO want to up monitor so if you can link me some deals, but I use this for everything pretty equally, gaming, computing, media, etc. I didn't want to update my motherboard but apparently the Maximus isn't able top run that CPU, BUT the weakest point for gaming is the Monitor for sure. Usewr Benchmark still rates my build at

Gaming 100%

Nuclear submarine

Desktop 94%

Nuclear submarine

Workstation 91%

Nuclear submarine

Edited by -=HipKat=-

1 hour ago, -=HipKat=- said:

if y9ou can link me some deals

If price is an issue:

https://www.amazon.fr/Dell-S2421HGF-Écran-Gaming-Free-Sync/dp/B086M269P3/ref=sr_1_3?__mk_fr_FR=ÅMÅŽÕÑ&dchild=1&keywords=144hz+monitor&qid=1625444176&refinements=p_36%3A428409031&rnid=428393031&s=computers&sr=1-3

The one I currently use (I like BenQ, they are reliable, but honestly not the best in terms of design and colors. though I didn't care since it was only for gaming and not media):

https://www.amazon.fr/BenQ-XL2411P-Equalizer-Vibrance-DisplayPort/dp/B075JGL4WV/ref=sr_1_5?__mk_fr_FR=ÅMÅŽÕÑ&dchild=1&keywords=monitor+144hz&qid=1625444519&refinements=p_36%3A428409031&rnid=428393031&s=computers&sr=1-5

Another one (very nice specs and design for that price range):

https://www.amazon.fr/AOC-C24G1-Ecran-1920-Pixels/dp/B07DTN4BM8/ref=sr_1_27?__mk_fr_FR=ÅMÅŽÕÑ&dchild=1&keywords=monitor+144hz&qid=1625444519&refinements=p_36%3A428409031&rnid=428393031&s=computers&sr=1-27

There are probably other good deals, this was just with a quick amazon search. I'm lazy, So I bought mine there 😅

• Love 1
  • 100 1

I see your pc, and you only need a good monitor for play ET, that´s all..i got this one..really good:

https://www.amazon.com/-/es/32GN650-B-frecuencia-actualización-desenfoque-movimiento/dp/B08LLF9NS1/ref=sr_1_2?__mk_es_US=ÅMÅŽÕÑ&dchild=1&keywords=lg+165hz&qid=1625445464&sr=8-2

https://www.lg.com/my/monitors/lg-32gn500-b

Just use the monitor with your graphic card and connect G-Sync, you will see the difference (i have got rx 550 and use Freesync Premium, but you can use G-Sync with your GP)

• 100 1

• Platinum VIP
35 minutes ago, Cross Marian said:

Those are cool but I'd rather stay in the 27+" range and why are my 60hz monitors @3840 x 2160 Res and the 144hz are only 2560 x 1440 Res?

19 minutes ago, -=HipKat=- said:

Those are cool but I'd rather stay in the 27+" range and why are my 60hz monitors @3840 x 2160 Res and the 144hz are only 2560 x 1440 Res?

Ah yes, I’ve always played on 23’ or 24’ monitors, so I automatically look at those ^_^ 

You can find the same deals for 27’ monitors with 144Hz, but you will usually have to pay between 50 to 100€ more (compared to the 24’).

Also yes, if you absolutely want to keep those res (3840x2160), it will be a lot harder to find good deals on 144Hz monitors 😕 

• Platinum VIP
25 minutes ago, daredevil said:

Are you maximizing your current CPU and/or GPU? 

I don't overclock at all, if that's what you mean

35 minutes ago, Cross Marian said:

Ah yes, I’ve always played on 23’ or 24’ monitors, so I automatically look at those ^_^ 

You can find the same deals for 27’ monitors with 144Hz, but you will usually have to pay between 50 to 100€ more (compared to the 24’).

Also yes, if you absolutely want to keep those res (3840x2160), it will be a lot harder to find good deals on 144Hz monitors 😕 

I can't even find any at that resolution. The ones I have now are 3840, but 60hz. So what will the loss or benefit be @144hz, but 2560.1440 res?

Edited by -=HipKat=-

1440 p looks great and at 144hz its silky smooth  even better at 165hz  

I agree with all the others hip hold off upgrading the box it will effortless run anything

spend what u can on a good monitor next year the 30 series gpus will be half the price they are now and the next series will be available too

• 100 1

• Administrators
27 minutes ago, -=HipKat=- said:

I don't overclock at all, if that's what you mean

As discussed through Discord, save money for retirement! Skip the idea of PC upgrade. 

• Haha 6

i'm pretty sure i seen a number of videos on youtube were  the  1080 ti is still shitting all over the 2060 i think in the last video i watched the only place that the  2060 was doing better then the  1080 was Battlefield 5  and i think that was just a 10 fps  difference and here  just a little  teste of what i mean by the 1080 being better than the 2060 it does have some better  spec then the 1080 but that about it and even the price shows witch card is better https://gpu.userbenchmark.com/Compare/Nvidia-RTX-2060-vs-Nvidia-GTX-1080/4034vs3603 

you have the 32 GB  of ram good  

so out of everything i see in your build everyone right now  you be better off getting a new monitor i would wait another year or so before looking at  upgrading right now not really the best time  to be looking to update your pc with prices and shit being so bad right now  

just a little tip if your having problems with your 1080 ti not  pulling ahead  like lot of the videos  and stuff you see maybe your having a cooling problem  i would  open up one of your best games you have for FPS  and watch your temps 

• Like 1
  • 100 1

• Platinum VIP
6 hours ago, *Kiba* said:

i'm pretty sure i seen a number of videos on youtube were  the  1080 ti is still shitting all over the 2060 i think in the last video i watched the only place that the  2060 was doing better then the  1080 was Battlefield 5  and i think that was just a 10 fps  difference and here  just a little  teste of what i mean by the 1080 being better than the 2060 it does have some better  spec then the 1080 but that about it and even the price shows witch card is better https://gpu.userbenchmark.com/Compare/Nvidia-RTX-2060-vs-Nvidia-GTX-1080/4034vs3603 

you have the 32 GB  of ram good  

so out of everything i see in your build everyone right now  you be better off getting a new monitor i would wait another year or so before looking at  upgrading right now not really the best time  to be looking to update your pc with prices and shit being so bad right now  

just a little tip if your having problems with your 1080 ti not  pulling ahead  like lot of the videos  and stuff you see maybe your having a cooling problem  i would  open up one of your best games you have for FPS  and watch your temps 

I'm not really having problems with anything. I would like better graphics although what I have is pretty good and one thing that's just a plain 1080. Not a TI. But, for what I use it for, it's fine. I would like to update my processor but the motherboard I have will not support newer generation processors and the other thing is I'm thinking about looking to see how hard it would be to switch from Intel to Ryzen