ET Jay #2 Hard to hit players on Jaymod 2

spectator

7 minutes ago, -=HipKat=- said:

Truth. Exactly what I had to do with Betrayal last night. Gauge where he was coming from, where he'd be and get behind him

hes dam good and smart .. one of my hardest opponents. best advice i ever got in et dont be predictable. u can trick players into doing what u want .even el! lol

• Like 1
  • 100 1

1 hour ago, spectator said:

I'm not always right. 

Who is? But, it takes a big person to admit when they aren't and humble when they are. Not saying you are or not in this case. In fact, I appreciate your comments, thoughts and debates. Some agreed some not.

Ever see the movie Tin Cup? That scene where Roy tries several times to hit the green in two and keeps dunking it in the water? Yes, eventually he lands it, but he took like a bunch of penalty shots in the meantime. Anyway, some of the tactics I see in ET reminds me of that scene. We keep going after the same thing we failed at without changing anything - seems we're destined for the same result.

Finally, some great players gave some great feedback here. Hopefully, it helps with your game :)

Edited by Gameplan
  • Like 1

Thanks again guys. It's funny that a 20 year old game still has people who care about improving. Don't get me wrong I try to do the obj but every once in a while I want to do something different and for me that's fragging. I've been a obj player forever...I try to do both. Sometimes I forget I'm engineer because I go solider so often now to try to help improve my style of play up against super medics. 

Some players will probably always be out of my reach but it will be fun to see how much I can improve upon my own game. Sometimes I just fall flat on my face but sometimes I do alright.  😄 All and all I still have fun if things don't get too serious. Sometimes they do... but never too serious that I don't want to come back. 

• Platinum VIP
21 minutes ago, spectator said:

Thanks again guys. It's funny that a 20 year old game still has people who care about improving. Don't get me wrong I try to do the obj but every once in a while I want to do something different and for me that's fragging. I've been a obj player forever...I try to do both. Sometimes I forget I'm engineer because I go solider so often now to try to help improve my style of play up against super medics. 

Some players will probably always be out of my reach but it will be fun to see how much I can improve upon my own game. Sometimes I just fall flat on my face but sometimes I do alright.  😄 All and all I still have fun if things don't get too serious. Sometimes they do... but never too serious that I don't want to come back. 

That's because it's still the best overall FPS game

• Like 2

Well, here's what I have discovered or feel like I have anyways. Settings, teams, map, internet connection can all make a huge difference. Yes movement is important, yes aim is important. But you don't need to shoot a 50 acc to hit someone up close. 😄 Most higher acc players will fire in spurts, won't spray and pray... and have controlled focused spurts and know when to take a shot. They move with intuition, experience, anticipate where you will be.  They keep their cursor at head height most the time, which actually doesn't vary much with distance shots I find, odd enough. A good head height 2 feet away is also a good head height for the most part 20 feet away...

Some use timenudge... some  no doubt optimize their settings perfectly for the game (internet settings) so on... some are wired in, some are wireless... I'm sure that it gets way more technical than that... Some guys still use Windows XP just for ET. 😄 

What I really find is that with different settings you do play differently and some players have multiple configs, even for different maps.... which is pretty hard core...

It's NOT that simple that bob practices a lot so Bob is god... it's not... Practice will help you control your aim, tighten it up, anticipate movement, help you move better yourself but it in of itself will not make you the most indominable force on the server. CFG files definitely are involved, how the map is laid out, teams... 

I often find that great players hide behind other great players who are often medics... and you end up attacking two super medics at once which doesn't pan out well. Many of the super fraggers are medic, self heal, fall back, pick you off. If they do rush in, they know how to use their team to their advantage.

These players talk about their monitor settings the refresh rate, all sorts of technical shit. Of course they have some sort of optimized settings or nifty configs for better gameplay. Let's be realistic... they have analyzed settings very in depth. Those players who can have those conversations are the one's getting the higher frag counts...

Where as skill is part of the game, to pretend that these players are just straight up God because they have many hours logged in is ridiculous. Yes, some of them have LOTS of skill and are very good players but some of them have more going on because they understand CFG, settings, and how the game runs, and what works best for them... ( Pretending else wise is just stupid...) 

You can move like a ballet dancer in ET, dive, and jump, and yes be hard to hit... those players are hard to hit. Then you face other players who you look straight in the face, nothing like that is going on and you don't land your shots in.  One play said that hard to hit is crouching very quickly.... I tried that, perhaps I didn't master it but it didn't make me some unhittable god...

I find that when my settings, internet and such are a perfect storm, family is streaming or whatever, who knows... download? I have no idea I can dominate some people.... settings DO most definitely make some difference... anyone saying else wise would then be asked why they put so much time into their own config and why they made any sort  of config AT ALL to begin with.... surely they have reasons for their settings and have done research/ experimentation...some went as far as to get the configs of the greatest players in the world....

I would bet that people don't realize how sensitive settings are, how crucial and how many players end up with that perfect storm that makes them look like Jesus Christ , combine that with experience and skill and you have a frag God. Hell, I've seen even when other players have lags or unstable ping, something isn't exactly right for them how much worse they can do... 

Also I feel that "hard to hit" would be a manifestation of some sort of perfect storm on the receiving end or the one "hard to hit".... it's a 20 year old on line game. People are running all sorts of settings, scripts , and moving their own way, there's adren, there's Punk Buster, anti-lag, so on.... It's not that far fetched that some one at some time would experience hard to hit game play. 

Edited by spectator
  • Like 1

its ok to have these discussion. im fine  with other peoples thoughts.  but    i agree ur puttin to much into it. one thing in et for sure relax breath calm ur self and have lots of fun. some people are just really good players. u must be fine with this or it will eat u up.an never take anything to seriously in the gaming world.

• Like 4

• Platinum VIP
17 hours ago, spectator said:

You're probably right. I need to get laid or something. I need to spend time with my dogs or watch comedies. I'm too serious about it. 

Getting laid?? What's that?

16 hours ago, Gameplan said:

I'm binge watching The Sopranos right now...barely been playing.

I did that last year, in Covid boredom

Edited by -=HipKat=-

Alright, it's been fun playing with some of you but I think I'm going back into hiatus. I just stopped having fun... (Contradiction?  Sort of...)

I've been a little unhappy in general as of late with everything going on. I work myself nearly to death and I'm tired to begin with. I spend all day around negative people who whine/ complain. When you spend that much time with people like that and you don't react the same as they do, when you're alone sometimes you need to vent... I'm the positive, strong one usually at work while everyone around me is freaking out and yelling...  

There's good news, I'm back in college. But honestly I just want to relax, I'm going to stop playing for a while. Maybe I'll spend my time trying to find what makes me happy, doing something I enjoy. It used to be as simple as a pair of plyers and a tank. 

It used to be fun. I don't enjoy it as much anymore. For what it's worth I've had some really nice fights with some of the players on Jay 2. Good times...  had some really great games...I've faced players that I thought had some real/ true skill and didn't have any "advantage" over me... Even if they got the better of me, I felt like we had a few great go arounds... Then there were players that I couldn't even scratch. 😄

Over all, it's just not what it used to be for me... it could be fun but it's just not really anymore.  Still a great game, maybe I'm just tired of it.  I think I'd be a tiny bit happier if I moved on.
(I might be back but this actually might be it for a long while...) I put too much time into it lately... and had some really great games for it. But, taking the game so seriously takes the fun out of it...

I already un-installed the game.  At least there are people who still play the game, better than only facing bots...but I won't be one of them anymore... This is how this usually goes anyways, Kimberly and a few others reacted the same way... I remember how much some of these players started complaining, how much joy they lost for the game. I'm at that point too...

Edited by spectator
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 2

well we are here if u need us . u need to vent  or chat u can always pm me ..i know exactually how it feels to be around all the bitchin complaining whiners.  i tell u same thing my dad always said to me chin up head on a swivel.!!!! an i will miss u .

Edited by captnconcrete
  • 100 1

Will miss you too and wish you the very best. Good luck in school - I have to say it was remarkable the difference in finishing my degree than before. Felt as though my station in life was near the top of what it could be unless I started my own thing. Still have the thoughts of starting my own thing, but having multiple job offers during a pandemic told me there is so much more opportunity and timing is everything. It's hard work going back to school, but the payoff is worth it - take it from someone who was one of the oldest in his classes. 

The game will be here if you return.

• Like 1
  • 100 1

• 3 weeks later...

I wasn't going to revive this thread. I just got done playing with  what I consider good players and did fine. (Mongo being one that didn't annoy me and I could actually hit if focused and if I had the opportunity...some good hits...)  I don't know if this discussion can go any further. People have strong opinions about it and I honestly don't know if I have a objective viewpoint or not. Just in my experience some players seem a lot harder for me to hit than others. That's all, and in my experience there are decent players who I can hit and there are some that I feel that I can't. Call it a feeling, a personal view, whatever...

The real thing is that I don't enjoy the game when I become too focused on it and I complain to others about it and it annoys people. If it's not something I can change, and sometimes I really suspect it's not even when I'm doing my best and in "the zone"... then I have to learn to play without whining, quit or go spec...

I mean, what more can be done? A few agreed with me, a few disagreed... it would be interesting to hear new theories, possible explanations to what I'm experiencing but it's like beating a dead horse here to be honest.  Even if I become more convinced of my opinion playing with certain players that doesn't make me any more informed or ready to argue necessarily...

If someone wants to have a new argument or give a theory or have a intelligent/ mature conversation that would be best. But whining about hard to hit and going on a tantrum as I have been isn't going to turn a new page here... I don't like it, especially when on some nights I do pretty well for soldier or engineer and get a few good shots in... but it's something I have to deal with if I'm going to play. I experience it, maybe some do, maybe some don't... 

I wish I understood my problem better but I don't and so it continues. I've tried improving my config ( making one) , tried a few things and I still occasionally bump into someone I just can't even scratch. I refute that it's just skill, pure skill but hey....you can't convince someone of your truth necessary when they never experienced what you have and aren't observing it on your screen and aren't at your keyboard...

I could share demos... that would be helpful perhaps but trying to explain my experience as I have...hasn't gotten me anywhere here...

Edited by spectator

• D..X locked this topic