I am buying a restaurant/bar

Wendy'sChili

Just thought I would put this out here. My wife and I are purchasing a local bar/restaurant that went out of business. The previous owners absolutely ran this business into the ground. We are going to put Humpty Dumpty back together again and restore her to glory. The business was owned by several other entities since the 1950's and the building itself is from the 1850's so it has a long standing tradition and reputation that we get to restore. The challenge has been the liquor license. It has proven to be a nightmare because the owners were in arrears with their taxes to the state...thus the state put a lien on the license. When we applied to have it transferred to us, the state CONFISCATED the license. UGH. We are in a bizarre holding pattern with lawyers and politicians duking it out. This is the ONLY liquor license in this small town and they are desperate for this business to re-open.

Anyhoo...I have some time on my hands and thought I would share something about me while I wait to move on to what will be a CRAP ton of work for me.

Oh, and one more thing....this building is/was in the Guinness Book of World Records...it had a 3 floored outhouse. Chew on that for a minute :P

• Like 5
  • Surprise 3

Good luck. I always thought that a bar/restaurant operation would be a very big commitment in time and effort. Dining out is one of mine and my wife's favorite things to do. We always try to patronize small, family run businesses and wish you all the best. 

17 hours ago, Audie Leon Murphy said:

Good luck. I always thought that a bar/restaurant operation would be a very big commitment in time and effort. Dining out is one of mine and my wife's favorite things to do. We always try to patronize small, family run businesses and wish you all the best. 

Thanks (and great name BTW!) We are wide eyed about the commitments and have ALWAYS wanted to do this, it is the culmination of 30 years of extremely hard work we have invested in the service industry. If you're the praying sort, we would love a few moments of your uplift time...we are definitely going to need it.

16 hours ago, Broham said:

Uhmmm, without pictures I call dibs on the top toilet.

Jokes aside, I like liquor.

Good luck!

Top floor is already taken....taking reservations for lower level units :P If you are ever in the SW Michigan area, pop in and I'll buy you drink :) 

• Like 3

every town need a good pub 

good luck and best wishes, hopefully you wont need bouncers (although now you've put your location on this forum ............. :D )

good luck .. wish i could come help u renovate the place.. i love doing stuff like that.

i was also a cook at night in a restaurant / bar. liquor license can be hard to get.

i hope u get that figured out. that sounds to be the hard part of your venture. anyhow thanks for sharing .  i enjoyed reading hopefully we can all see some pics and  maybe i come that way some time . eat some good food sense im not much for drinking.

Thats great man, best of wishes and luck so it can make through all that mess it has with taxes history, they can really be a load of a problem.

Keep telling us updated of the process if you like :P 

On 2/6/2020 at 5:42 PM, Wendy'sChili said:

Just thought I would put this out here. My wife and I are purchasing a local bar/restaurant that went out of business. The previous owners absolutely ran this business into the ground. We are going to put Humpty Dumpty back together again and restore her to glory. The business was owned by several other entities since the 1950's and the building itself is from the 1850's so it has a long standing tradition and reputation that we get to restore. The challenge has been the liquor license. It has proven to be a nightmare because the owners were in arrears with their taxes to the state...thus the state put a lien on the license. When we applied to have it transferred to us, the state CONFISCATED the license. UGH. We are in a bizarre holding pattern with lawyers and politicians duking it out. This is the ONLY liquor license in this small town and they are desperate for this business to re-open.

Anyhoo...I have some time on my hands and thought I would share something about me while I wait to move on to what will be a CRAP ton of work for me.

Oh, and one more thing....this building is/was in the Guinness Book of World Records...it had a 3 floored outhouse. Chew on that for a minute :P

gl man!! it aint seasy doing something like this..but i wish you all the best!

And i hope it all works out. its definitly a challenge to do something like this.

• 1 month later...