Need help to find/fix my lag problem.

w1cx

Hey guys, so since I had to change my internet provider, i've been having lag issues. At 1st I was thinking it was'nt fast enough so I upgraded it to 120mbps. I still have problem only on my PC....laptop/firestick/phones are all good in the house. My only option is to use a wifi adapter on my pc but I'm literally right on top of the router so signal is excellent. I had 0 issues before switching provider and I was on wifi. 

Now I see my wifi disconnecting/reconnecting few times per day on the bottom right corner of my desktop. I though it was my adapter getting old so I brought a new one and it's still happening... 

On my lagometer, I have some yellow spikes and big chunk of red. 

spacer.png

Here's my winMTR report for jay1

|------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------|
|                                      WinMTR statistics                                   |
|                       Host              -   %  | Sent | Recv | Best | Avrg | Wrst | Last |
|------------------------------------------------|------|------|------|------|------|------|
|                            Cogeco.local -    1 | 1124 | 1120 |    1 |   13 |  244 |  103 |
|                              10.183.0.1 -    3 | 1037 | 1010 |    9 |   15 |  176 |   14 |
|                           172.30.14.189 -    3 | 1037 | 1010 |   12 |   18 |  175 |   18 |
|        2-2-8.bear1.Montreal2.Level3.net -    3 | 1037 | 1010 |   13 |   18 |  175 |   16 |
|      ae-2-3601.ear3.NewYork1.Level3.net -   93 |  242 |   17 |   22 |  242 | 1700 |   25 |
|     CHOOPA-LLC.ear3.NewYork1.Level3.net -    3 | 1029 | 1000 |   27 |   34 |  196 |   31 |
|                vl42-br2.pnj1.choopa.net -    3 | 1029 | 1000 |   22 |   31 |  219 |   28 |
|         vl110-c8-7-b4-1.pnj1.choopa.net -    3 | 1033 | 1005 |   25 |   31 |  196 |   29 |
|                   No response from host -  100 |  229 |    0 |    0 |    0 |    0 |    0 |
|                               8.9.4.227 -    4 | 1009 |  975 |   21 |   29 |   86 |   30 |
|________________________________________________|______|______|______|______|______|______|
   WinMTR v0.92 GPL V2 by Appnor MSP - Fully Managed Hosting & Cloud Provider

Is it my internet provider the problem or it's something I can fix by my PC ? 

Thanks guys

• Like 1

Hi w1cx,

Make certain that you've tried resetting the router. If you have a separate modem and router then try connecting directly to the modem with an Ethernet cable then to router just to make certain that everything is working as expected. If this continues let me know and we can review some wireless specific troubleshooting steps. What Operating System are you using?

Regards,

Arkinder

• Like 2

When I had problems with my internet, it was purely down to my internet provider and others being on the internet at the same time. I had to upgrade and now it's all fine. Maybe try looking and your provider.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Arkinder said:

Hi w1cx,

Make certain that you've tried resetting the router. If you have a separate modem and router then try connecting directly to the modem with an Ethernet cable then to router just to make certain that everything is working as expected. If this continues let me know and we can review some wireless specific troubleshooting steps. What Operating System are you using?

Regards,

Arkinder

Thank you, I will try it when I can. I have to move my whole PC to try with a cable... or maybe buy a long ethernet cable and return it after the tests. I'm using Windows 10 Pro 64bit. 

1 hour ago, valkk said:

When I had problems with my internet, it was purely down to my internet provider and others being on the internet at the same time. I had to upgrade and now it's all fine. Maybe try looking and your provider.

Yeah if I could switch back I would but I can't. I had the same provider when I joined FA and I had no problem with it. I'm also wondering why it's only on my PC and not the other devices.

28 minutes ago, THE BEAST said:

https://www.cogeco.ca/en/support/outages      if this is ur internet provider u can see if there r outages 

Thanks mate. No outages in my area. Sometimes it's ok but most of the time it's not.

Hi w1cx,

It can be a common problem that resolves itself. However, considering the packet loss at the router level that may not be the case. It's best to use standard troubleshooting first that you might get from calling technical support anyways.

Regards,

Arkinder

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Gladiator said:

You habe the Problem all the time or only at the evening? 

It happens to me during the day as well, during the evening it seems better until the clock hit 10:45-11pm. Then my wifi icon goes crazy disconnect/reconnect but my gf is usually watching her shows (firestick) and there's no signal lost there. 

change the channel on the wifi network in the router page. usually 192.168.0.1 in your browser.

Make sure ports are forwarded in the router for ET

ask your provider for fastpath also known as interleaving off

check power profile to make sure wifi power management isnt the issue

• Like 1

• Administrators

WinMTR for 100 packets will help. 1000 packets is for datacenter to tell me aka us fuck you cos overall % is less. For finding issues, 100 packets work good. 

http://www.pingplotter.com/

Try that - and let it run for your modem/router from your PC. If their is packet drop/latency you will see. 

Make sure your modem chipset is not INTEL one. If it is change modem. 

On 10/7/2019 at 10:45 AM, w1cx said:

My only option is to use a wifi adapter on my pc but I'm literally right on top of the router so signal is excellent.

if their is interference i.e. WiFi channels issue  -  sitting on top will not help.  But if you didn't had it before, you shouldn't have it now. 

Also i am assuming you are using USB connector/adapter? 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Barn!e said:

change the channel on the wifi network in the router page. usually 192.168.0.1 in your browser.

Make sure ports are forwarded in the router for ET

ask your provider for fastpath also known as interleaving off

check power profile to make sure wifi power management isnt the issue

Ok. Changed the channel. I used an app to find the best one and connected to the recommended one. 

I'm not sure how to check if my ports are forwarded for ET.

About asking my provider, I will save it as last option since waiting on hold for technical support is'nt great... 

Power profile for wi-fi adapter is at maximum performance but the USB selective suspend setting is set to Enabled, should I switch it to Disabled?

57 minutes ago, daredevil said:

WinMTR for 100 packets will help. 1000 packets is for datacenter to tell me aka us f*** you cos overall % is less. For finding issues, 100 packets work good. 

http://www.pingplotter.com/

Try that - and let it run for your modem/router from your PC. If their is packet drop/latency you will see. 

Make sure your modem chipset is not INTEL one. If it is change modem. 

if their is interference i.e. WiFi channels issue  -  sitting on top will not help.  But if you didn't had it before, you shouldn't have it now. 

Also i am assuming you are using USB connector/adapter? 

lol oops my bad for the 1000, I was just trying to "catch" when lag occurs. 

My modem provided by my internet provider is the Arris TG3452A. When I google it, it seems to have an Intel chipset 😕 That could be the reason? A bad modem/router? 

Yes I'm using a USB wifi adapter. 

Here's my results from Pingplotter.

spacer.png

Thank you all for your help.

• Administrators
2 hours ago, w1cx said:

My modem provided by my internet provider is the Arris TG3452A. When I google it, it seems to have an Intel chipset 😕 That could be the reason? A bad modem/router? 

https://www.dslreports.com/forum/r32333324-TG3452A-and-huge-latency-issue

Current list of known Bad Modems

Before we show you a list of bad modems, we’ll say the most popular bad modems are the ARRIS SB6190 as well as the SVG2482AC and the Netgear CM700. However there is wide array of modems that ISP’s have released to their unsuspecting customers such as the following.

BAD ARRIS MODEMS
  • SB6190
  • SVG2482AC
  • MG2402
  • SGB6950-AC2
  • SGB7400-AC2
  • SGB7580-AC
  • DG1642
  • DG1660A
  • DG1662G
  • DG1670A
  • DG1670A/ACT
  • DG2460A
  • DG2470A
  • DG3450
  • DTG1682G
  • TM1602A
  • TM1602G
  • TM3402
  • TG1642
  • TG1662A
  • TG1662G
  • TG1662S
  • TG1672A
  • TG1672G
  • TG1682G
  • TG2472G
  • TG2482
  • TG2492
  • Virgin Media Hub 3
  • TM3402
  • TG3452
ASUS CM-32
AVM FRITZ!Box 6460
FRITZ!Box 6490
CISCO
  • DPC3848
  • DPC3848V
  • DPC3939
  • DPC3941B
  • DPC3941TA
  • Comcast Xfinity XB3
  • XG1-V3
COMPAL
  • CH7465-LG
  • UPC Connect Box
  • CH7466
  • CV7160
COMCAST Xfinity XB3 (DPC3941B / DPC3941TA)
Xfinity XB6
HITRON
  • CDA-32372
  • CDA-3-35
  • CDA-3-20
  • CDE-32372
  • CGN3
  • CGN3ACR
  • CGN3AMF
  • CGN3AMR
  • CGN3ACSMR
  • CGNM-2250
  • CGNM-3552
  • CGNV4
  • CGNVM-3589
  • CGNVM-3582
  • CODA-45
  • CODA-4502
  • CODA-4582
  • CODA-4589
LINKSYS
  • CG7500
  • CM3016
  • CM3024
  • CM3132
NETGEAR
  • CM700
  • CG4500
  • CG4500TM
  • C6300BD
  • C6300
  • CM400
  • CMD31T
  • source
SAMSUNG Home Media Server
SMC D3G2408
TECHNICOLOR TC4350
  • Thanks 1

I'm not sure I understood the whole thread correctly but, if you haven't tried with cable, try it. Wireless can be very problematic sometimes and can be affected by many things.

My first step would be to discard a problem caused by WiFi. Sometimes being too close to the modem makes more harm than good. If your connection is steady with Ethernet but fails with WiFi then we've found the problem!

If not, then we can proceed to make tests over the ethernet to figure out if there's latency, bufferbloat, dropped packages or any other anomaly that can degrade your internet.

• Like 1