Need help to find/fix my lag problem.

w1cx

2 hours ago, daredevil said:

This is exactly my case. 120/10 same plan, same modem, same BS... So basically i'm &#(* for online gaming atm. I will try to do some test with a wired connection... 

3 hours ago, Buckwild said:

You have 4 Ethernet ports on router, Wire connect with CAT 5 cable.

Yes...something that simple is not in my case. I'm temporary in a house that is not mine; I can't drill a hole in the living room ceiling or have a 100ft going through the hallway. Especially when i'm the only one having issues with the internet. 

15 hours ago, w1cx said:

This is exactly my case. 120/10 same plan, same modem, same BS... So basically i'm &#(* for online gaming atm. I will try to do some test with a wired connection...

That thread was quite the rabbithole, it seems you are SoL if they don't change that modem. I'm sorry about that. Maybe they can allow you to bring your own modem? Some cable companies do.

On the other hand ISPs can be very very reluctant to swap equipment (business and home alike). I have FTTH and the ONT (modem) they provide is OOOOOOOOOLD, and they refuse to change it to a newer model unless I get the 500/50mbps or the 200/200mbps package which is stupid expensive.

Maybe if you try to cancel your service and state why, they might try to do something to fix it. Usually normal support won't do it specially if this is a widespread problem.

Best of luck bro

• Like 1

• Administrators
7 hours ago, Barn!e said:

Change the USB powersave to disabled yes.

This is very good point. 

28 minutes ago, Schmerzen said:

Maybe they can allow you to bring your own modem?

That's why i stick to my own modem and router. Both separate and one goes bad, replacement is easy.

• 100 1

I've tried to stay out of this thread as "too many cooks" sort of thing but few things.

You say its only your PC that is having lag issues, is the PC on Windows 10 build 1903? If so disable the sysmain service, its superfetch in disguise which in laymans terms basically fills any spare RAM with pre loaded programs so they are faster starting etc, but effectively takes up all your spare RAM. You don't need this service on and its just a hindrance when it "swaps" out that RAM for programs you actually use and need and it can cause "stutters".

There are plenty of other things you can try too if that doesn't help but one step at a time and bit pointless if you cant sort your Wifi drops out..

As for Wifi drops?? well as your on a router provided by your ISP your options are pretty limited, even more so if your unable to connect to said router via Cat 5 (personally i use cat 6 and 7 as they allow faster throughput for gigabit networks......but i'm babbling now)

So first thing to do if your able is to turn OFF the 5GHz Wifi and leave only 2.4GHz on and have only your PC connected (not sure how that will work if its a shared router though and tbh it reduces your options quite dramatically) , some routers only allow so many concurrent connections on either Wifi band so if you have say 7-8 devices all trying to use the one band at once but your router only allows say 4-5 concurrent connections then your going to get dropped if the router is limited in that way.  I've personally had nothing but problems with 5GHz on the routers provided by many ISP's. they keep dropping connection as and when they want so i tend to disable the 5GHz and it usually sorts connection drop issues, which is why i suggest you turn that band off to test.

As others have mentioned a lot of things can interfere with Wifi, microwaves for instance will cause a lot of issues if the router is near the kitchen, but will cross that bridge as and when.

Will leave it at that for the time being and see how you get on.

EDITED to fix my dyslexic fingers spelling mistakes. :D

Edited by Snuffs99

I have had a lot of lag issue with using Wifi on my new alienware as well but when i plugged it straight from the router with the ethernet cable to the pc i have no lag and 0 ping but i also have 5G internet.

• Thanks 1

Hi wicx,

I try to assemble responses and information in ways that are more easily presentable and reusable across the website for everyone. It's left over from my days on forums when I younger and detailed responses that explain the issues in detail and what is needed to be changed to fix the problem or at least to point the user in the right direction were required. The end result is usually a long post but it's condensed and high quality. I mention that because I see at least one post that is the opposite and I'll have to deal with that later. However, the response that you receive shouldn't be of lesser quality because others want to participate in something that has no validity - there was nothing ever civil about this.

23 hours ago, w1cx said:

I'm not sure how to check if my ports are forwarded for ET.

All modern routers will have automatic port forwarding and if this were an issue you wouldn't be able to connect to the game server.

23 hours ago, w1cx said:

About asking my provider, I will save it as last option since waiting on hold for technical support is'nt great...

If you end up going this route make certain that you have screenshots of the server nodes that are causing problems. Based on what you've originally provided the issue is occurring locally. I would recommend running WinMTR again to check for consistency and with other servers.

23 hours ago, w1cx said:

Power profile for wi-fi adapter is at maximum performance but the USB selective suspend setting is set to Enabled, should I switch it to Disabled?

No, this would disconnect the power to the external wireless adapter entirely.

23 hours ago, w1cx said:

My modem provided by my internet provider is the Arris TG3452A. When I google it, it seems to have an Intel chipset 😕 That could be the reason? A bad modem/router?

Yes, that is possible but that's also why the standard troubleshooting steps are recommended to narrow down whether this is an issue with the router, cables, wireless adapter, or something else. Just remember to test with different ports and Ethernet cables if you continue to see packet loss or other errors. It's also a good idea to test different wall ports.

23 hours ago, w1cx said:

Here's my results from Pingplotter.

spacer.png

This shows loss at the ae-2-3601.ear3.NewYork1.Level3.net server node. This isn't consistent with the packet loss seen earlier. I suggest seeing if there is an issue with other servers as well. Otherwise, it might be worth contacting your ISP so that the server node can be contacted to fix the issue.

Regards,

Arkinder

• 100 1

1 hour ago, iCiCeLzz said:

I have had a lot of lag issue with using Wifi on my new alienware as well but when i plugged it straight from the router with the ethernet cable to the pc i have no lag and 0 ping but i also have 5G internet.

Well going off that then all signs point to a sh*t router mate, either Cat5 up or get another router...or possibly try some powerline plug thingies as one plugs direct into ethernet of router and sends signal to other plugged into your pc etc, bypasses the routers wifi then. 

Something like https://www.amazon.co.uk/s?k=powerline+adaptor&ref=nb_sb_noss_2

• Like 1

How does turning power save off for USB disconnect wifi entirely? Thats not true mate sorry.

You can use the original router for wifi only just connect it to a spare cat5 port.

Edited by Barn!e
  • 100 1

17 hours ago, Snuffs99 said:

Well going off that then all signs point to a sh*t router mate, either Cat5 up or get another router...or possibly try some powerline plug thingies as one plugs direct into ethernet of router and sends signal to other plugged into your pc etc, bypasses the routers wifi then. 

Something like https://www.amazon.co.uk/s?k=powerline+adaptor&ref=nb_sb_noss_2

I will look into this thanks for the advise and maybe it is the router but it's weird wifi i lag and connection interrupt but direct plug 0 lag.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, iCiCeLzz said:

it's weird wifi i lag and connection interrupt but direct plug 0 lag.

Tbh mate its really not that weird at all, like i and others have said a lot of things interfere with Wifi, for me for instance my house is open plan downstairs so when the microwave is on anything connected to my Wifi (firestick, phones etc all) stops working on wifi until the microwave stops...... tbh in some ways its quite disturbing as a microwave is meant to effectively be a faraday cage. lol

• Like 3

Just now, Snuffs99 said:

Tbh mate its really not that weird at all, like i and others have said a lot of things interfere with Wifi, for me for instance my house is open plan downstairs so when the microwave is on anything connected to my Wifi (firestick, phones etc all) stops working on wifi until the microwave stops...... tbh in some ways its quite disturbing as a microwave is meant to effectively be a faraday cage. lol

So you think if i purchase the item from Amazon it would help my internet performance would be even better?

Just now, iCiCeLzz said:

So you think if i purchase the item from Amazon it would help my internet performance would be even better?

Tough question to answer and as much as i'd like to say yes i wont because tbh i really don't know.

It was more an option to bypass the routers wifi as one powerline adaptor will plug directly into an ethernet socket on the back of the router and then communicate over your electrical lines with the other which is plugged into your PC's ethernet, plus the only thing using the powerline would be your PC.

Its a shame you cant just borrow some to test tbh, suppose if you buy through amazon and they don't work you could send them back but depends if you want to go that route.

Barn!e actually made a very good point above though, if you still have your old router you can connect that directly to the ethernet of your current router and use the Wifi on that instead, certainly possible and as you say you had no issues with the old router it should work as before. Thats assuming your old provider didn't collect it.

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, Snuffs99 said:

Am I the only one who lags using ethernet but not in WiFi?

Edited by Kai
  • Haha 2

5 minutes ago, Kai said:

Am I the only one who lags using ethernet but not in WiFi?

Haha, well that will likely be your PC rather than the router then, quite a few threads on here that have suggestions on lag which "might" fix your issues, just a matter of going through them and trying i'm afraid. Unfortunately there is never just 1 fix does all when it comes to lags so what might work well for one wont always be the same for everyone.

Edited by Snuffs99
  • Like 2