R.I.P. Nelson Mandela, Champion of Equality

soulJAHmon

Meh.. I'm sad to see anyone die, especially when they acheived so much for equality.. But Mandela was no saint.  He was responsible for countless murders.

"Nelson Mandela was the head of UmKhonto we Sizwe, (MK), the terrorist wing of the ANC and South African Communist Party. At his trial, he had pleaded guilty to 156 acts of public violence including mobilising terrorist bombing campaigns, which planted bombs in public places, including the Johannesburg railway station. Many innocent people, including women and children, were killed by Nelson Mandela’s MK terrorists."

He was also affiliated with another, I forget who, and they divided into two in the hope that neither group would ever be able to be pinned down for their ruthless activity.  Obviously somewhere along the line they got found out.

Edited by Chuckun

A great man has left this world, even if he made bad decisions we must recognize how this human being made this planet a better place to live...RIP Mandela.

Sure, his past isn't perfect, but that's not the point. He will be remembered, as all great figures are, in order to inspire us and for us to emulate his best qualities. Martin Luther King Jr. liked prostitutes and gandhi was a crappy lawyer.  But that's not why we glorify them. We remember the good and forget the bad.

did you people saw the wc draw yesterday  ?
What was Mr. blatter  disrespective a minute silence for Mandela stopped after 11 seconds ....

may he rest is peace 

Meh.. I'm sad to see anyone die, especially when they acheived so much for equality.. But Mandela was no saint.  He was responsible for countless murders.

"Nelson Mandela was the head of UmKhonto we Sizwe, (MK), the terrorist wing of the ANC and South African Communist Party. At his trial, he had pleaded guilty to 156 acts of public violence including mobilising terrorist bombing campaigns, which planted bombs in public places, including the Johannesburg railway station. Many innocent people, including women and children, were killed by Nelson Mandela’s MK terrorists."

He was also affiliated with another, I forget who, and they divided into two in the hope that neither group would ever be able to be pinned down for their ruthless activity.  Obviously somewhere along the line they got found out.

People have a need to identify things through individuals, both in negative and positive way. It is not how you get things to the point they are today, but if you are on the right side, which is most often "the winning side", in a sense. For instance, think of a situation where Russia and US would have lost the Second World War. I am guessing we would not be congratulating after wards many things, for instance, Stalin did. I guess another example concerning this is the speech Elizabeth Ascombe had in 1956 when Oxford University decided to vote for honourable doctors position for Truman.

But in the end none of those things matter, as they do not in a case of Mandela, because history is written by winners and is identified through motion that takes us forward. Of course, I am not saying these things to erase the value Mandela had, but merely arguing our way of thinking and talking about our historical heroes.

I fully agree Mandela achieved great things but so did Malcom X in America - difference is I find it very difficult to find these types of activists honourable.. I'm glad their actions achieved great things but I cannot condone violence and brutality just because the end result was good - innocent people should not die in the path of any activist's movement.

There are much more honourable people who fought the very same fight against apartheid in Africa without violence - the likes of Steve Biko for example.  Who was banned from talking to more than 1 person at a time, and from leaving his immediate neighbourhood simply because he NEVER broke the law so it's all they could do to silence him.. Until they caught him breaching his ban, and was then held in a cell for breaching his ban, and brutally beaten within an inch of his life - and proceeded to die from those head injuries - by the police under Kruger's instruction.  He knew he was risking his life by being peaceful and un-prosecutable, but he was honourable and continued to fight his cause - with no violence, no deaths, other than his own.  THAT is someone to remember.  But I hear nothing about him ever.

EDIT: Oh and as for people comparing bombing and murder with liking prostitutes and being a lawyer.. Just LOL.  What an utterly ridiculous argument..

Edited by Chuckun
  • Like 1