ET Hardcore map play limit

Antichrist

I'm seeing several maps on HC played over and over again. Special Delivery was played just 6 maps ago, and now it's just been voted again. And as much as I enjoy them, I'm not a fan of playing a rotation of the same 5-8 maps.

Is there a possibility of a setting that once a map is played, it cannot be voted on until 10 other maps have been played?

I think 10 would be a fair number, allowing players to vote still, and would let the guys that like their 5-8 scrim type maps play on them, and the other players that like a little variety, would get a chance to play their maps as well.

• Like 4

Could this be done on silent 1 too, would be nice not see the same map 5 to 6 maps later. Be nice to see all the maps in a rotation. Sometimes you might see a map you would like to play but it doesn't come up because people have their popular maps but it also makes people leave.

I never voted either, I'm used to things being done automatically.

• Like 1

I agree with hester prynne about alot of people being a sheep who vote for the map with the highest vote count. Is it maybe possibe to not show the votecount? and delivery is indeed a good map, but it gets realy overplayed on hardcore and silent, so i like antichrist's idea pretty much.

• Like 1

I always vote for a map that gets played less often and hope it subliminally will influence others. I also look up in the right hand corner to see the last time it was played.

Personally, I always put C2 Missle as a 1st choice as it is hardly ever played, yet it is a huge map that can generate a lot of separate battles in different areas.

I would say even a 15 map "delay" would be beneficial to avoid the stagnation I see happening.

• Like 2

I think hester makes a good point in saying that the voting system often leads to maps that most players find "okay" but isn't necessarily their favourite choice.

In other words, the maps like Radar, GRush, Delivery, Supply, Beach ... are not necesserily played because everyone loves them but because everyone can live with them ...

However I don't see a good alternative to be honest;

as Cuckun said there is already a barrier and I think it the worst thing one could do is to make maps not playable for an even longer time (longer than 10 maps) or even force certain maps (jaymod-like rotation), because in the end that will lead to even more complaints about certain maps. I think the majority is quite okay the way it is ...

• Like 1

i am with ant here  we really need to up the map limiter on some maps i get bored of playing the same map over and over again be awesome if you can vote for 1 map and the next map is picked randomly 

• Like 1

This is perfectly feasible - it's already in action but only on certain maps (delivery is one of them) and with a lower number than 10..

In fairness to all maps, and all players, I think the same limit should apply to all maps. Otherwise, there's a chance to play Oasis twice in a row. And as much as I love most of the maps, I don't want to play the same map twice in a row.

id prefer if there was no voting. everyone's a sheep about it anyways and vote whatever map is in the lead. but the 10 map idea would be a good alternative as well.

I agree. I'll vote for a map that has a few votes and I haven't played in a while, and then I scroll down and see Supply or Delivery already has 18 votes.

I agree with hester prynne about alot of people being a sheep who vote for the map with the highest vote count. Is it maybe possibe to not show the votecount? and delivery is indeed a good map, but it gets realy overplayed on hardcore and silent, so i like antichrist's idea pretty much.

If we don't show the vote count, then the scrim type players just type in chat what map they wants, and everyone follows anyways. It's difficult to get around that. We have a ton of maps on the server, like what 20 maps? 25? And I love a good game of supply or delivery. LOVE IT. But if I just played the map an hour ago, seeing it voted again just means instant boredom so I go spec.

I always vote for a map that gets played less often and hope it subliminally will influence others. I also look up in the right hand corner to see the last time it was played.

Personally, I always put C2 Missle as a 1st choice as it is hardly ever played, yet it is a huge map that can generate a lot of separate battles in different areas.

I would say even a 15 map "delay" would be beneficial to avoid the stagnation I see happening.

+1. I do the same thing. I really don't care what map it is, as long as it's a fresh map that I haven't seen in a little while. And C2 doesn't get enough play time at all, and it's such a damn good map. I could even agree with your 15 map limit as well. I'd say the scrim guys like 5 main maps, and go as far as 8 maps they'll rotate in votes. Every other map just gets passed over.

I love the votation screen, even when i have to play the same map twice. Some maps cause "pain" in some regulars that they just quit or got spec.

I love the vote also :D But we also welcome all players to our servers. Even if it's Hardcore.. we welcome players from beginner to pro. It's part of why I wanted to ask about this limit. The newer guys (And I'm included in this group) Like a nice variety of maps. A set rotation will get boring after a while playing the maps in the same order, so the voting mixes it up and keeps it fun and new. Right now, the new guys, and myself, and many others I see posting here are tolerating this same 5-8 map cycle at times and it doesn't seem fair. If those scrim guys don't like a map, they have the option to go spec and wait, play on another one of our servers, or just play the map that was selected. The new guys (and me.. and many posting here) do it all the time. Why can't the scrim guys do it too?

I think hester makes a good point in saying that the voting system often leads to maps that most players find "okay" but isn't necessarily their favourite choice.

In other words, the maps like Radar, GRush, Delivery, Supply, Beach ... are not necesserily played because everyone loves them but because everyone can live with them ...

However I don't see a good alternative to be honest;

as Cuckun said there is already a barrier and I think it the worst thing one could do is to make maps not playable for an even longer time (longer than 10 maps) or even force certain maps (jaymod-like rotation), because in the end that will lead to even more complaints about certain maps. I think the majority is quite okay the way it is ...

We also have maps like Italy. Everyone complained at first when it was voted.. but look now.. that map gets A LOT of play time, and less and less people complain about it. Its a good map, and I think it just took people a little time to realize it.

Remember that we try to run the servers to keep everyone happy, so if the majority is happy, that's a good thing, BUT we also have to try to make the rest of the players happy as well.

Also it's nice seeing you add your input to the forums! Thanks for sharing your thoughts :)

i am with ant here  we really need to up the map limiter on some maps i get bored of playing the same map over and over again be awesome if you can vote for 1 map and the next map is picked randomly 

This actually wouldn't be too bad of an idea either. Especially if it would randomly pick between the least played maps.

Does the map display order change for each vote?  I haven't played on those servers enough to notice. 

Yes it does :)

• Like 1

In fairness to all maps, and all players, I think the same limit should apply to all maps. Otherwise, there's a chance to play Oasis twice in a row. And as much as I love most of the maps, I don't want to play the same map twice in a row.

All maps have a 1 map limit ;) So no chance of playing the same map twice in a row! But despite the fact I still often vote for my favourites every time I can (Delivery being one of them), I do feel we need to 'force' some more diversity tbh..

i think its completely impossible to please everyone all the time...and the only way to maximize crowd pleasure would be by a voting system by nature. yes there is an element of sheep voting, but sometimes there are close votes and sometimes weird maps pass...

if a map passes that i personally don't want to play, then it's time to take a butt break...sitting is hard work ;)

i personally like the voting system and even though maps come up frequently which i don't care for (such as italy) i would not change anything!

my 2 cents :)

First thing i'd like to say is that maybe the reason why certain maps are played again and again is because they are rushed and finish in like 2-5mins. Especially with frost and adler. So they don't get to enjoy the map which in turn makes them want to play it again because they feel they haven't experienced the map properly. So maybe there should be a rush limit of maybe 5-10minutes depending on map time limit.

Another reason could be that they don't like a map that is getting voted and resort to voting for a map that is commonly played and is favored. This could be due to a map being too big, pointless or maybe really laggy. In which case maybe switching out maps for smaller, simpler, less laggy maps might work.

Also what kiba said could be an answer to this problem but again keeping the 10 map limit thingy otherwise a map could still be picked after the random picked map.

Other than that, i do agree that maps are played repetitively and maybe increasing it so it cannot be voted until another 10maps have been played would be a good idea. Is it currently 6?

I'm seeing several maps on HC played over and over again. Special Delivery was played just 6 maps ago, and now it's just been voted again. And as much as I enjoy them, I'm not a fan of playing a rotation of the same 5-8 maps.

Is there a possibility of a setting that once a map is played, it cannot be voted on until 10 other maps have been played?

I think 10 would be a fair number, allowing players to vote still, and would let the guys that like their 5-8 scrim type maps play on them, and the other players that like a little variety, would get a chance to play their maps as well.

major +1