ET Server Suggestion just a note on spam

chrisy

so i dont really care what you do about it just want to point out an issue.

et isnt fun to play (for most people) its fun for the socializers the guys and gals that hop onto the server with a bunch of friendly people they know who they may or may not be chatting to on discord. Yes even i too have fun when theres people i know on.

the hardcore solo nerds who can overlook the fact that 3/4 deaths are unfair and unavoidable result from spam keep playing on. Doesnt matter what weapon your using, even if you're using panzer it affects you too.

but eventually those nerds will quit out of frustration, and only the socializers will be left, eventually they too will gain other hobbies or move on as other important matters take place in their lives.

ive tried making 6 friends of mine play et, and all of them could almost instantly recognize the game wasnt enjoyable and quit.

now if your in the social group above you are having fun. but i urge you, try cg_teamchatsonly 1 or join a crowded fa server where none of your friends play, and just try playing the game as a new player would experience it and see if its enjoyable.

the unluck involved in spam not only affects people going for score, but also the objective play of the game.

anyway what im just saying is et is slowly bleeding out its playerbase ofc part of that has to do with the core design of the game (not going to explain it all), but reducing the spam would make it somewhat more playable for both the hardcore and new player catagories..

Chrisy's later post makes it clear that she does mean the weapons-spamhttps://fearless-assassins.com/topic/100380-just-a-note-on-spam/?do=findComment&comment=834486 and that she does enjoy the chat-spam.  :D

Edited by RedBaird
add link

There are plenty of cvars (such as cg_teamchatsonly that you mentioned) to reduce the text you see, vsays you hear, and depending on which mod you play on, varying degrees of HUD customization.
Hardcore spam isn't allowed on our servers, but I find it pretty unreal that people would play online without wanting to talk to anyone or meet anyone outside of their "social circle".... I mean, that's the whole thing about multiplayer games: interaction.
When it's crunch time for the obj, people stop paying attention to the chat and focus up on the game. I also know plenty of players who run two main configs- one's pretty standard, the other is barebones for when they want to focus.

On that note, for those folks that have issues with focusing on the game because of chat popups or certain sounds, that's understandable. And we're happy to help players customize their settings to clean up their HUD, make the chat only appear in the console, turn off vsays, etc- so that they can enjoy their game. And if someone is hardcore spamming, take some screenshots, make a report, we'll mute em up.

ofc insults, hardcore spam, continuous trolling = not allowed. But I'm not gonna put limits on how much someone can talk with their friend or where they do it.
Rare exception might be someone talking about the same thing for 30+ minutes, I'd say "dude, that's getting old... mind taking it to PM or FT?" 98% of the time it goes smooth, chat cleans up. But we don't want to be the chat police, that just drives people away.

7 hours ago, chrisy said:

reducing the spam would make it somewhat more playable for both the hardcore and new player catagories..

We'll see what we can do. We try our best to get the hardcore spammers but we can't get every one of em. It'll always be a bit of a cluster on Jay1, that's just how it is and that's where some cvar customization comes in- but if there's someone just hardcore memeing it up or being a spamgod in the chat, let us know. At the end of the day though, our goal is to have a relaxed, easygoing atmosphere.

• Like 2

18 minutes ago, Xernicus said:

There are plenty of cvars (such as cg_teamchatsonly that you mentioned) to reduce the text you see, vsays you hear, and depending on which mod you play on, varying degrees of HUD customization.
Hardcore spam isn't allowed on our servers, but I find it pretty unreal that people would play online without wanting to talk to anyone or meet anyone outside of their "social circle".... I mean, that's the whole thing about multiplayer games: interaction.
When it's crunch time for the obj, people stop paying attention to the chat and focus up on the game. I also know plenty of players who run two main configs- one's pretty standard, the other is barebones for when they want to focus.

On that note, for those folks that have issues with focusing on the game because of chat popups or certain sounds, that's understandable. And we're happy to help players customize their settings to clean up their HUD, make the chat only appear in the console, turn off vsays, etc- so that they can enjoy their game. And if someone is hardcore spamming, take some screenshots, make a report, we'll mute em up.

ofc insults, hardcore spam, continuous trolling = not allowed. But I'm not gonna put limits on how much someone can talk with their friend or where they do it.
Rare exception might be someone talking about the same thing for 30+ minutes, I'd say "dude, that's getting old... mind taking it to PM or FT?" 98% of the time it goes smooth, chat cleans up. But we don't want to be the chat police, that just drives people away.

We'll see what we can do. We try our best to get the hardcore spammers but we can't get every one of em. It'll always be a bit of a cluster on Jay1, that's just how it is and that's where some cvar customization comes in- but if there's someone just hardcore memeing it up or being a spamgod in the chat, let us know. At the end of the day though, our goal is to have a relaxed, easygoing atmosphere.

I think he's referring to spam like rnades, panzers, landmines, etc.

• Like 1

• Leader

Thanks, Mufasa, but I still have to plead guilty to Chat-Spam in Main.  I blame my Rx "happy pills".  

Reading Chrisy's message more carefully, it may be referring to both types of spam, either or both which can irritate some of the players some of the time...  I don't play with audio chatter via Discord, Teamspeak or the other chat-programs, since I find that too distracting.  

• Haha 2

You can put /ignore 1 , /ignore 2 , /ignore 3 etc etc on your cfg,the moment you connect everybody gets a notification you are ignoring them 😂

You will never see any chat at all 😁

• Love 1

yeah i mean rnade/panzer/flamer/landmine etc. the chat is quite an entertaining part of et, and what i mean by turning cg_teamchatsonly 1 on is to try to avoid that entertaining part and just play the game normally: to experience what its like for a new player. I suck at communicating it seems :PP

Edited by chrisy
  • Thanks 1

• 4 weeks later...
  • Administrators
On 9/16/2018 at 7:21 PM, chrisy said:

yeah i mean rnade/panzer/flamer/landmine etc. the chat is quite an entertaining part of et, and what i mean by turning cg_teamchatsonly 1 on is to try to avoid that entertaining part and just play the game normally: to experience what its like for a new player. I suck at communicating it seems :PP

I think 35% is team damage limit. That gives the chance to heal quickly by shooting down team mate. I had tried 20% once and some good medics good booted. 

landmines are very less on HC. silent1 has more and so does b2 and more on jaymod series. 

May be we can create - medics only server for frags. Have u tried our Fun1 server? 

• 100 2

29 minutes ago, daredevil said:

I think 35% is team damage limit. That gives the chance to heal quickly by shooting down team mate. I had tried 20% once and some good medics good booted. 

landmines are very less on HC. silent1 has more and so does b2 and more on jaymod series. 

May be we can create - medics only server for frags. Have u tried our Fun1 server? 

Sounds like a really good idea DD it would please some or most of the rambos👍