farawell to xfire client, better get your screenshots downloaded!

Unknown

• Administrators

well there went all the contactinfo I had of most people :P

My thoughts. Now the people whom I used to know over last 10 years will be all gone since I can't contact them anymore through xfire. 

• Like 6

There is, as mentioned in this topic, always "Raptr". Personally, I don't enjoy it, but eh.

I'm not sure what other multi-game/platform messengers there are...

@Xerni; <3 IRC. I help run a small network ^_^

• Like 2

• Administrators

There is, as mentioned in this topic, always "Raptr". Personally, I don't enjoy it, but eh.

I'm not sure what other multi-game/platform messengers there are...

@Xerni;

I used to love IRC but issue with that is either you need client or we need to integrate it on website. Also it doesn't give in game notification. 

I used to love IRC but issue with that is either you need client or we need to integrate it on website. Also it doesn't give in game notification. 

You should integrate IRC onto the website. It would be a smart way to go. I'm actually surprised the forums didn't have a chatroom available.

The shoutbox is usless for a good conversation, and it would be a good way to communicate via forums in a live setting.  Pretty sure IPB even have pre-built chatroom options as well.

As for something to replace xfire, that's a tough call. There's a few different programs you can use: Raptr, Playfire, Steam.  Steam and Raptr are probably the most popular/well known.

• Like 1

So, what are we going to use to replace?  Not everyone is on Teamspeak or Steam....It's always nice to be able to ping someone if you need them, or for players to get to an admin.

I guess there won't be another way than to combine programs... I do see some potential in skype as well. I mean, it doesn't have any gaming features but the big advantage is that a whole bunch of people have it. It would be easy to use.

Anyway, I do think we need to decide on a program everyone in the clan should have. That program was xfire. If we don't get something new it will give huge difficulties for communicating. I think steam would be the easiest way to go.

I was wondering, the new forum software that will be used in the future, does it have a chat function?

Edit: lol sid. Looks like we think the same, within the same minute :)

• Like 1

Either Steam, which i honestly don't really like, skype (for my opinion somewat too personal) or Raptr, which i havent really tested yet.

• Like 1

• Administrators

You should integrate IRC onto the website. It would be a smart way to go. I'm actually surprised the forums didn't have a chatroom available.

The shoutbox is usless for a good conversation, and it would be a good way to communicate via forums in a live setting.  Pretty sure IPB even have pre-built chatroom options as well.

As for something to replace xfire, that's a tough call. There's a few different programs you can use: Raptr, Playfire, Steam.  Steam and Raptr are probably the most popular/well known.

Before we used to have one i.e. IRC integrated but hardly anyone used it after few weeks. Most of the time, people say they will use it and then they don't at all. At the end of the day it was removed.

IPB option is paid and not free. Not paying for chatting software. Not even 1$ extra/month.  In future, I am planning to dump whole IPB and go to Xenforo. I am just waiting for IPB 4.1.x and see if it's good or not. So far it's nothing but issue with 4.0.x versions.

Before we used to have one i.e. IRC integrated but hardly anyone used it after few weeks. Most of the time, people say they will use it and then they don't at all. At the end of the day it was removed.

IPB option is paid and not free. Not paying for chatting software. Not even 1$ extra/month.  In future, I am planning to dump whole IPB and go to Xenforo. I am just waiting for IPB 4.1.x and see if it's good or not. So far it's nothing but issue with 4.0.x versions.

Ah damn, that's a bummer then. Would love to see the idea make a trial return some day, though. Or something similar. And I hear ya on the newer version of IPB. The 'freeboard' days had some really kick ass features and were very simplistic. Even a chatroom wasn't anything extra unless you wanted specific features. Sucks they went the route they did, but that almighty dollar screams louder than user feedback.

Hopefully it won't be too much of a headache if you have to ever transfer.

I did say we should go with Xenforo :P More than once, iirc ;)

• Leader

Here is a list of alternatives to Xenforo : http://alternativeto.net/software/xenforo/

One invaluable feature of Xfire was the pop-up on the desktop when someone wanted to chat with me.  I could leave the client running and use the computer for non-gaming work & play and still be available if someone wanted help, information or to report trouble.

I only friended FA clan members but did not unfriend ex-FA members.  

Raptr came with the latest Catalyst software, but as we had Xfire, I uninstalled it and don't know much about it.

• Administrators

I did say we should go with Xenforo :P More than once, iirc ;)

No converters as of yet for gallery or blogs or calendar or nexus. No donation tracker either which i can convert too. I think we are sticking to IPS till either they improve 4.x series or XF provides converter.

• Like 2