Headshots vs Bodyshots

AcidParadox

which mod is that? weird hitboxes...

In my case, I had (not a typo, according to tb I last played 37 days ago and it's still going up :)) already a hard time aiming at the general direction of the enemy :D so I'm not the one who can give suggestions.

But from a purely rational point of view, you shouldn't aim so high that your bullets (due to spread) could go over the headbox, so especially if the enemy is far (and the bullet spread is high), then you have to aim lower. The bullet spread has the shape of a square, you need to know how big it is and make sure no part of this square is higher than the headbox imho. (In close range the enemy is so big that this doesn't matter much).

And then there are players who tap 'c' during fights so you don't really know where their headbox is.

I would say, try to get a headshot as quickly as possible, then keep hitting and hope you get the second (and maybe the third).

1 hs is enough. After all, if good players give a hs every (more or less) 5 hits (at least on etpro), that means in the average case they give only 1 hs per fight (that is, playing against other good players - and dying 50% of the time - they will have 1 kill every 2 fights, and 2 hs per kill).

I used to think this way for headshots as well, but it is imo, limiting. In the older days of mid-2000s, this was probably acceptable, as the level of aim wasn't quite there.

But nowadays, you should always be aiming for 3 headshots, and realistically wanting to get 2 headshots at least. Only by attempting triple-dink are you able to average ~1 headshot per kill/fight. There will be times when you will fight with 0 headshots, and the 2-3 headshot kills make up for them to average out the ~1 headshot per kill average.

In addition, aiming only for 1 headshot will train you towards spotty tracking. By that I mean that your muscles will memorize concentrating on snapping for that first headshot, and being completely imbalanced to continue tracking for the remaining headshots. Better to remain calmer, and snap forcefully but in control, and track your way up towards the headshots if you are slightly off. Many a triple headshots were done after 1-2 neckshots first.

Sorry for the resurrection of the topic but from my experience:

1) If you want to be any good, you should always be going for headshots. Even if you miss, you are still training to snap and track towards the primary target zone, and thus improving your aiming skill. If you ever need to switch to a 1-2 shot kill game like COD or BF, you will easily be able to adjust your now fine-tuned aim to go for center mass instead. But it's much harder to go the other way - training to just hit center mass, and then hoping you can get headshots later when it is critical.

2) The only exceptions are in general game situational purposes:

i) The opponent is almost dead, and therefore bodyshots will ensure kill and reduce chances of missing completely with a headshot.

ii) Your shot is bad (or bad at that time), and therefore you aim for more upper body/neck (not center mass).

iii) You are sniping (either as covert, or just long range fire). Even when sniping, aiming for headshots are preferred, but there will be times on long range maps like beach, where you would prefer to just dole out damage to slow them down or keep them back.

Conclusions:

Since aim drifts high and low over playing time, it is generally my feeling that as you feel more confident, you raise your crosshair higher up the body (even aiming to their hair or just above their head). This ensures more and more headshots, and better quality training on your aim. As you start missing shots, you lower and lower until you hit the neck, then stop. This allows you to not completely miss your shots, while regaining confidence and good aiming practice. If you gain confidence before reaching the neck, you can just start going back up again without ever reaching for the neck level.

That being said, even against AET or Euro players, I still prefer to aim above the neck, or even high. I feel that you can jump start your aim much better by simply aiming head all the way. Perhaps if I'm in an important match/scrim, I might play it a bit safer and aim lower for a few critical minutes where I know I can still get the kill with "body" ie. neck shots, but generally you will lose worse if you rely on that kind of aim against top players. Maintaining an air of confidence is really important.

Your first part would work in a case where hitbox registration would be perfect, which we all know in ET is far from that. Have been playing this game for long enough, including ETPro at decent level to know about that, since it all depends on your and opponent connection and then it comes down to hitboxes, ppl don't realize that cus of this u tend to miss a lot more than u usually would, which makes sometimes a lot better idea to go for bodyshots as its less risking of missing due to above explained stuffs. I always adjust my aim to the needs of hitboxes, sometimes i rather shoot bodyshots and winning those duels more frequently than desperately trying for those headshots. A good player will know when to make difference of aiming, specifically in ETPro wars where aiming is most important.

Also an important part of aiming is spread control, which i would guess that 95% of pub players have no idea about that, whenever u are strafing, jumping, moving your mouse fast, u are gaining huge spread which will make u miss majority of the bullets.

• Like 3

I always try for headshot as much as i can. always trying to improve my accuracy, though usually i get 2 headshots and the opponent still ices me, it's like i don't get them fast enough. i'm practicing for the day when i get all three headshots and take down the target on a regular basis.

has anyone tried the cvar where it only plays headshot hitsounds? did it help your accuracy?

has anyone tried the cvar where it only plays headshot hitsounds? did it help your accuracy?

Nah, mostly just confuses u with the hitbox variation, i didn't use any hitsounds back at the past, since u would need to focus more on aiming than relaying on the hitsounds itself and mostly end up aiming better after that or at least a slight progress.

• Like 2

Headshots are for noobs, "bodyshooting" is more hardcore. (?)

I play in silent mod, I rather headshots only if the enemy is very close to me. For everything else, bodyshots because hitboxes doesn't work so fine. (for some reason, if I restart my modem to get a new ip aderess, I can easily get a lot of headshots).

:wacko:

ok a part from those internet/ping/stableFPS/smoothGame things.

... imo (according to my own experience [and imnot the best ET player ever  :D  its just ivy aka laglaglag.Sulliwan]) HS are very very decisive once you learn how to make em easily i mean without needing to adjust your aim to much to get em. If u hav that ability it means you 'almost' know that in any close/medium range fight your gonna hav at least 1or2 HS.

But winning a fight when your opponent is very skilled aiming at lets say +45% acc and can get HS too(and dodge bullets like matrix somthing... is that a cheater? :o  ... lol im jokin), you ll need to do better than him or get a TRIPLE HS VERY FAST to hav a chance to kill him. and that tripleHS isnt impossible to do once you achiev the ability i talked about earlier. It makes u the kinda player that can kill any Good/Average aimer on the server and im not talking about LUCK its all about you doing it. thats what HS for me give u as a pubPlayer.

So for me 'controling' your HS is a huge step in havin better stats in general AND its easy then for you to hav BodyShots obviously cuz Hbox is small once you track it easily its easier for the rest. The only thing u hav to work for is prbly MIX it not randomly but i mean u hav to know when u hav to go for BodyShots  instead of missing the targetsHEAD for a couple of milliseconds...

I forgot to mention the spread like Aniky said its important to try reduce it by any mean (dont try hax they ll catch u) for me u dont hav to believe me  :D  i hav a HINT for that and i actually use the spread for HS  :P .

thats my opinion based on my experience of ET.

• Like 1

While reviewing some demos I always notice that I start shooting at the body and then go up depending on the terrain, if it's leveled or not. It's hard to notice while I'm playing because my m_pitch is set to 0.005 or something xD, So I guess it's both for me.

• Clan Friend

I think nobody avoids hs on purpose, it's just about avoiding misses. It's not that I don't give a hs when I could, at most I aim lower if I think the player is too far and spread is high... actually, recently I don't get even bodyshots... orz

When they hit you a lot it's even hard to guess where you are aiming, especially if you have a high ping.

And obviously if you compare jaymod vs etpro, etpro is better, maybe someone still remembers when me and S3ti tested those hitboxes on a server with a modified version of et to show them, plus ping simulator to test in different lag conditions, etc.

http://fearless-assassins.com/topic/45057-etpro-hitboxes/page-8?do=findComment&comment=430122

• Clan Friend

I don't always aim for head but when i do, i always hit air beside your head and get HS :D 

Same for bodyshots :P and that do help me get kills :D,

in my case...

Y8NJ7Se.jpg

• Like 4

While reviewing some demos I always notice that I start shooting at the body and then go up depending on the terrain, if it's leveled or not. It's hard to notice while I'm playing because my m_pitch is set to 0.005 or something xD, So I guess it's both for me.

Demos can be misleading as the ping is not included in it and u can't see same situation as in game due to your ping, specially if your ping is 140 or higher, which will result in demo showing that u were shooting off target but still hit.

• Like 2

I think nobody avoids hs on purpose, it's just about avoiding misses. It's not that I don't give a hs when I could, at most I aim lower if I think the player is too far and spread is high... 

Lost you :P

Why not aim to head, even when he is far away you can alway aim to his throat, by that you can ensure you'r hits or it will be body when he stands and shoot or it will become hs if he use C while shooting.

Isnt it ?

My strategy anyway, works fine mostly :)

• Like 1

I can agree with that spread can help you in battle but in my opinion it happens when it is 3 - 4 oponents moving closly to itself, in other option saving bullets is better idea. BTW more competetive gaming like Aniky said is crucial for improving abbilities, so if you spot/aim enemy on etpro  enough fast in jaymod for ex. you don't need care as much about aiming. Body shots are better cuz when you stack enemy on your fire you have enough advantage and greater chance to make headshot (1 or 2) and win the battle (except nuggan  :P  cuz he is known for unpredictable acctions during duels - this not my personal experience)