French French - Post your questions here

• 4 months later...

Hello guys!

I need help with a proper translation of this quote from Le Mariage de Figaro

On pense à moi pour une place, mais par malheur j’y étais propre: il fallait un calculateur, ce fut un danseur qui l’obtint

Its the epigraph of The Miernik Dossier by Charles McCarry, a novel that I recently finished.

Thanks in advance :) 

• Love 1

2 hours ago, Smultronstallet said:

Hello guys!

I need help with a proper translation of this quote from Le Mariage de Figaro

On pense à moi pour une place, mais par malheur j’y étais propre: il fallait un calculateur, ce fut un danseur qui l’obtint

Its the epigraph of The Miernik Dossier by Charles McCarry, a novel that I recently finished.

Thanks in advance :) 

Theses sentences make no sense to me , unless it s poetry or in specific context but here it is .

Translation:  they think of me for a place ,  but unfortunatly i was there clean : you would need a calculator , it s a dancer who got it . 

• 100 2

Ok, i went and read the whole part . 

Translation in context

They think of me for a place , but it wasn t the place for me to be (as he didnt felt it was a place for him) .  You need someone who calculate every move, every word and every articles . It s a dancer who got the job ( he says a dancer as someone who will tell the words people want to hear and write what they want him tr write ) . 

Does it make sense to you @Smultronstallet?  1700 poetry , french was very different from what it is now days haha

Edited by Eazy
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

10 hours ago, Eazy said:

They think of me for a place , but it wasn t the place for me to be (as he didnt felt it was a place for him) .  You need someone who calculate every move, every word and every articles . It s a dancer who got the job ( he says a dancer as someone who will tell the words people want to hear and write what they want him tr write ) . 

Thank you very much Eazy! It makes totally sense now. Its the perfect summary of tradecraft and the perfect opening for Charles McCarry's Paul Christopher novels

81CumDixpGL.jpg

Edited by Smultronstallet
  • Like 2
  • 100 1

18 minutes ago, Smultronstallet said:

Thank you very much Eazy! It makes totally sense now. Its the perfect summary of tradecraft and the perfect opening for Charles McCarry's Paul Christopher novels

81CumDixpGL.jpg

That s interesting ,  for the translation i went and read the original version of Pierre Beaumarchais from  1784 .   I was like "daamn" smull making some weird lecture haha

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

10 hours ago, Eazy said:

Good analyze!

Beaumarchais wants to underline here the absurdity of the society which rather bring to the fore the appearance over the competence.

• Like 2
  • Surprise 1

• 2 months later...

Hey frenchy  fellas, how bad is "zut"? I see in online dictionaries its just like "damn it", but im no sure its that way, I always doubt a bit on this online translations.

41 minutes ago, LazyHippo said:

Hey frenchy  fellas, how bad is "zut"? I see in online dictionaries its just like "damn it", but im no sure its that way, I always doubt a bit on this online translations.

It's really not bad. It's a polite/childish way of saying "damn".

If I had to put it in English, the closest thing would probably be "darn" or "blast".

>> polite version:  "zut" meaning "darn it"

>> not polite version: "merde" meaning "damn it"

Edited by Cross Marian
  • Like 4

• 11 months later...

Un français prêt à aider ici aussi ! \ o 
Si vous avez des questions concernant l'orthographe ou la grammaire, je suis plutôt bon sur ça ^^ !
Bon et après la traduction aussi mais je pense que l'on est suffisamment nombreux et apte à ça 😛 !

"A french ready to help here too ! \o
If you have any questions regarding the spelling or grammar, I'm rather good at this ^^!
And after, traduction too, but I think we are plenty and able enough for that 😛 !"

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

I have... No clue. Even being french myself : He speaks too fast...And not clearly on top of that ! x)