Police shooting of Kaijieme Powell

FireWienie

Yes I agree that the cop should have not shot him while he is down but the police are trained to shoot with deadly force. They are trained to shoot a cluster of shoots to the chest. That is both police training and military training. When I trained both military and police that is what you teach. The St. Louis at that time was like a war zone and all officers are on heightened alert. 

Ah, I was not aware what that is what is being taught to police officers. That's an interesting way of police behaviour though, shooting with lethal force. but on the flip side I do understand that the priority for being safe yourself is higher than the life of someone that endangers you.

• Like 1

Uh just saying I didn't make this topic to start an argument, but to share information to the F|Amily.

Kind regards

P.S. just the first few, I know you weren't trying to start an argument but I'd just like to keep this post clean/

you know if you where standing there as cop and there is coming a guy rushing at you, what should you do. Alright there where fired a lot of bullets, but i want to become a cop in the Netherlands and if you where standing there you had to make a choise and if i was that cop i don't know what i should do. It's difficult to make a choise in that situation. but it is his life or my life you know.

Hardstyle***

• Like 2

Guys, I appreciate the seriousness of the story, but can we please not post the footage of his death...I realize it's not particularly gory or graphic, but it's not really necessary and this isn't that kind of forum...

Man I regret posting this...

then you learned your lesson. Anytime you post soothing like this calling cops cowards and posting a video of someone getting shot you are opening the door to debate/. 

• Like 2

I gotta say, tasers are a great fricking idea. The officers could have dealt with the threat without loss of life. I won't blame the officers for acting the way they did (told the man to stop and he started moving), but I think a taser would have changed the outcome.

• Leader

Cops are not trained to pull out a taser. You can see that they arrived and then within seconds they man started approaching them. If I was back in Iraq under the same circumstances I would had done the same thing.

The best that they could have done was for one pull a Taser and the other a pistol.  Tasers are not that reliable, nor is pepper-spray, which can blind the officer, too.  I'm not sure that US police are even allowed to carry billy clubs anymore.  

If you want the police to trick-shoot as well as the TV and movie stars, they would have to spend 1/2 of their days on the gun range. They could spend the other half of their time training on the martial arts, learning how to disarm untrained knife-wielding attackers.    

• Like 2

The best that they could have done was for one pull a Taser and the other a pistol.  Tasers are not that reliable, nor is pepper-spray, which can blind the officer, too.  I'm not sure that US police are even allowed to carry billy clubs anymore.  

If you want the police to trick-shoot as well as the TV and movie stars, they would have to spend 1/2 of their days on the gun range. They could spend the other half of their time training on the martial arts, learning how to disarm untrained knife-wielding attackers.    

I think they carry the retractable baton. I've seen people tased for stupid stuff, in my opinion a taser could have been used here. The police here in the US are far more likely to use deadly force than most European police agencies. Training is standardized to a very limited degree here. So how one department responds to a particular situation may well be different than the next town or the next county over. Such is the nature of policing in the US.