New gaming mouse under £100/$150

Kazza

Hi,

currently I'm using a magic mouse which came with my iMac. Its ok but I need more responsiveness when playing FPS.

What kind of mouse do you guys recommend? Wireless or wired? and what brand?

Any personal experience will be very helpful.

Thanks for help,

Kazza

Depends on you. Many 'brands' are pretty much user opinions. I like Logitech gear, but I also love my razer gear as well. :)

If you're very much used to finger movements for weapon selects, using items etc, Get something basic. If you play games with many keybinds, then you can go with one of the more extravagant options that have a few buttons on the side.

I currently use a Razer Naga. 12 buttons at my thumb so I have less movements to make while strafing etc. I also love it for MMO games that use a lot of keybinds for abilities.

As for wired/wireless. I personally think wired is better. Wireless is great to an extent, but I've always found problems with them after a bit.

No need to go at this price to get a great mouse.. Wired mouse would be better.. For the brand, I don't think it's the most essential.. But if it can help you I have one HP, one microsoft, 2 Logitech (one wirelless and a G5) and a Razer DeathAdder.. Personaly I play exclusively with the razer who is the best one for me, btw my Logitech is not bad.. From my experience, choose an ergonomic mouse, in all case sufficiently comfortable to allow you to play many hours, not too small nor too big, not too heavy to master it correctly.. Many buttons are not useless but with too much, buy a 3rd hand or 5 fingers more..

I would say go with something that you feel most comfortable with. If you are able to find a store that has displays set up you could go and see which mice fit your hand and go from there. Narrow down which ones will work for you and which won't. I would recommend going with wired as well. Even though there are new mice that promote having a high report rate of 1000hz I still would go for wired. Some personal experience from me is that I've used Logitech G5, Razer Deathadder(3G Vers., Black Edition, and 3.5G Version), Steelseries Ikari, Intellimouse 3.0 Explorer, MX518,G400, and Razer Imperator. Overall I would say I gravitated more towards the deathadder, MX518, and G400. Also be aware that some sensors that the mice may have issues like the z-axis on the imperator. Although it wasn't too much of an issue I wouldn't recommend the imperator. The feeling of it in your hand was a little awkward for me.Go for something reasonable and comfortable.

Razer Deathadder: One of my favorite mice. Reliable and amazing. DPI: 450,900,1800(Avoid black version. Hard to grip)

Steelseries Ikari: Fits your hand really well with its contours on the right. DPI: 400, 800,1600

Intellimouse 3.0: Very good mouse, very comfortable: DPI 400

MX518: Top favorite mouse, great sensor and very comfortable: DPI 400-1600(also 1800 vers)

G5: Used this mouse a long time ago, but I liked it a lot. Very customizable and same shape as MX518/MX510: DPI 400-2000

G400: Same shape as MX510,MX518, and G5. Just an updated sensor from MX518. DPI 200-3600

Razer Imperator: Wouldn't recommend.I only used the old version so the new version may have fixed the z-axis issue.

Hope this helps

• Like 1

Thanks all of you, very helpful. Especially, you Blade.

I think Razer Deathadder is the best option. Relatively cheap (£42) and as you said its really good. Simple. I dont need many key because I'm used to keyboard so its the best option for me.

BTW jaie im from UK.

Make sure you read the reviews before you buy it -

razer deathadder software shit for mac

http://www.amazon.co...nDateDescending

Pros:

• Top-notch performance

• Beautiful lightweight design

• Conservative (but useful) lighting

• Delightfully comfortable anti-slip coating

Cons:

• No Mac OS X drivers

• Software on-the-fly sensitivity adjustment (only in Windows)

You are better off looking for a £15 > cheap wired mouse - either 3 or 5 buttons, maybe 4-way scrolling if thats what you want, and then just adjust your sensitivity etc in your cfg, than paying for lots of features / buttons that you can't use

Edited by jaie
  • Like 1

Razer Deathadder is the best. You may be able to find the 1800dpi white light one made especially for macs; but any deathadder will use the same drivers regardless. The mac drivers aren't the best, but there isn't much of a difference between the mac and windows version. Wired mice will not experience random interference, have faster response times, and don't need batteries. DPI wise anything above 3000 dpi is pretty useless for gaming due to negative acceleration and the way mouse movement is read by the game.

I have this mouse:http://steelseries.com/products/mice/steelseries-xai-laser but I think the deathadder is still better, and it doesn't have mac drivers.

Pros:

• Top-notch performance

• Beautiful lightweight design

• Conservative (but useful) lighting

• Delightfully comfortable anti-slip coating

Cons:

• No Mac OS X drivers

• Software on-the-fly sensitivity adjustment (only in Windows)

On the fly sensitivity adjustment is dumb anyway because it really just messes with dpi and the driver settings. Keeping those at one setting and changing the in-game sensitivity lets you get better results.