Anonymous will kill Facebook

Chuckun

Remember remember the fifth of November, gunpowder, treason and plot. I see no reason why gunpowder, treason, should ever be forgot...

Written about Guy Fawkes' "Gunpowder plot", a plan to bring down the Houses of Parliament and assassinate King James in 1605, the children's nursery rhyme could take on more relevance this year, as hacking group Anonymous has vowed to "kill" social networking site Facebook on 5 November 2011.

It is also the date made memorable by the comic book series V for Vendetta by Alan Moore and David Lloyd, which was also turned into a movie. In it, the activist "V" wears a Guy Fawkes mask, something that has since become a symbol of anonymous protest in the real world. So perhaps that's the more likely reason behind the choice of that specific date.

The hacktivist collective, who recently replaced the Syrian Ministry of Defence website with one of its own, claims that, come bonfire night (as the day is celebrated in the UK), the "medium of communication you all so dearly adore will be destroyed". It also goes on to say that other hackers should "join the cause and kill Facebook for the sake of your own privacy.

Speaking via a YouTube video, the group also claims that "Facebook has been selling information to government agencies and giving clandestine access to information security firms so that they can spy on people from all around the world. Some of these so-called whitehat infosec firms are working for authoritarian governments, such as those of Egypt and Syria.

One line in its mission statement also seems to nod to the events unfolding in London and other major cities in England: "The riots are underway," Anonymous states. At best it is antagonistic, at worst insensitive to those caught up in the violence.

If it does manage to take Facebook down, what's the betting that it'll happen at 16:05 GMT (in honour of the year of the original attack on the British government)? Mind you, it didn't work out so well for Guy Fawkes now, did it?

Source: Pocket-lint @ Yahoo News UK

• Administrators

Damn, I want it to be true..

Screw you(love:P) thanks to Facebook i can wish everyone on their b'day right on time. LOL

:rolleyes: Luck to them, even if they kill facebook there's still google+ and facebook would just get remade. Besides that I doubt they will be able to take facebook down.

• Administrators

I love how nowdays lame ass kids with their lame ass scripts think they can bring everything down, and I specially love the retards that follow them without understanding what exactly is going on and I love the media reports the most. Most people these days remind me of the movie Idiocracy. Blame the interwebz argh.

....the part that strikes me as funny is the whole privacy argument, like posting info on Facebook is somehow supposed to be private. I think Scott McNealy said it best over 10 years ago "You have zero privacy anyway, Get over it."

Lol @ Joe - you're pretty much right, I know quite a few anons who think they're great using their little Python scripts that download hundreds of pages per minute, etc.. Script kiddies ftw!

However, I just wish someone would screw Facebook over is all. I really f***ing hate that site. Tis why I'm so keen for G+ to succeed.

The privacy concept isn't my concern.. I've long since accepted that you're not private online. Even behind 9 proxies. I just really dislike Facebook now.

Don't care. It won't affect my life so let em do what they want. It will only add to my entertainment when the old lady down the street has a heart attack cause she can't share pictures.

If they ever achieved their intentions to take out facebook, everyone would just tweet about it, go back to myspace, and work on something else to screw this world up, =/

Useless cause, even if they could make it happen. Its just a website.

Lol @ Joe - you're pretty much right, I know quite a few anons who think they're great using their little Python scripts that download hundreds of pages per minute, etc.. Script kiddies ftw!

However, I just wish someone would screw Facebook over is all. I really f***ing hate that site. Tis why I'm so keen for G+ to succeed.

The privacy concept isn't my concern.. I've long since accepted that you're not private online. Even behind 9 proxies. I just really dislike Facebook now.

:rolleyes: if you hate it then just don't use it. There problem solved.

The sheer size of Facebook's infrastructure makes it quite unlikely that they would ever take them out. The worst that will happen is that facebook goes down for a couple hours due to a Ddos attack.