Mouse settings

ASBO

Hello again ET gods,

Since i learned so much last time I thought I would ask another 😄 

I have changed a few things re my monitor and FPS, I cant get comfortable with my mouse again so just thinking may i start afresh and try to use settings that would work better for ET, but everything out there I read contradicts each other in someway or another.

I know this has been answered many times before but what DPI/Sensitivity does everyone use and is there any reason for this? I know that it is personal preference.

1) Is there a reason for using a lower DPI with ET because it is such an old game?

2) Why a lower sens is definitely beneficial over a high one?

3) Why having a lower polling rate is useful?

I'm definitely a wrist aim not an arm aim so i think i would always have a higher sense/DPI than others, plus i have just started to use rinput since people seem to think it eliminates negative acc.

ATM im using

Version: Legacy

Screen: 2560:1440

FPS 125

FOV: 106.27

In Game Sens: 1

DPI: 2000

Polling Rate: 1000

Rinput: Yes

Any suggestions on what to try/change?

Any response welcome, thanks very much

ASBO

50 minutes ago, ASBO said:

1) Is there a reason for using a lower DPI with ET because it is such an old game?

1. I use 1600 but many people say it causes negative mouse accel due to this game being developed on an older game engine imo just use whatever you’re comfortable with. 

2. A lower sens is easier to control and maintain accuracy in gunfights whereas if you’re using the default 5.0 you’ll be shooting around the enemy and not hitting. Also, try lowering your /m_pitch too, it basically just detects how much mouse input is detected 

3.  A higher polling rate can decrease the lag that occurs between when you move your mouse and when the movement shows up on your screen. On the other hand, a higher polling rate will use more CPU resources as the CPU has to query the mouse for its position more often.

A mouse that officially supports a higher polling rate will generally allow you to select a polling rate in its control panel. Some mice may have hardware switches to adjust their polling rate on the fly, too.

The difference between 500Hz and 1000 Hz is negligible. 500Hz feels more consistent for some.

Edited by bLade.
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Love 1

45 minutes ago, ASBO said:

but everything out there I read contradicts each other in someway or another.

It's because we are different, some are better with some settings and others are not. 

Personnally Im better with loud rave music, but I know some can't play with music :) 

Try the extreme and found yourself a just middle ? 

More than 5.0 sens would be complicated in all case for me, I still havn't found my better way of playing but I try between 3 and 4 and I adapt this pretty high sensitivity in jumping a lot around players who are lost with their low sens 😄 

I think low sens made you more camper, and an high give you no other choice than to be pretty fast and movable, I personally prefer the second for the fun of the game

PS : I use the exact same FOV than you 😄

• Thanks 1

I agree with what Blade said, I personally use ET instead of ETL, although since I modified recently my cfg,

- I have a 800 upto 1600dpi mouse but I use 800dpi with 0.8 sens, I know very low but believe me it's better in this game if you wanna aim more for accu and hs.

- I have m_yaw and m_pitch 0,016, and crosshair size is important I personally use small one. 
- cg_fov 100 (for me but it's almost same)

here are commands: (last 3 cmds are for when you walk your head doesn't turn left and right)

seta m_pitch "0.0151"
seta m_yaw "0.020"

seta sensitivity "0,800000"
seta cl_mouseAccel "0"

seta cg_bobroll "0"
seta cg_bobpitch "0"
seta cg_bobup "0"

Hope that helps you :)

Edited by itsmoh
More organised
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, ASBO said:

Hello again ET gods,

Since i learned so much last time I thought I would ask another 😄 

I have changed a few things re my monitor and FPS, I cant get comfortable with my mouse again so just thinking may i start afresh and try to use settings that would work better for ET, but everything out there I read contradicts each other in someway or another.

I know this has been answered many times before but what DPI/Sensitivity does everyone use and is there any reason for this? I know that it is personal preference.

3) Why having a lower polling rate is useful?

I'm definitely a wrist aim not an arm aim so i think i would always have a higher sense/DPI than others, plus i have just started to use rinput since people seem to think it eliminates negative acc.

ATM im using

Version: Legacy

Screen: 2560:1440

FPS 125

FOV: 106.27

In Game Sens: 1

DPI: 2000

Polling Rate: 1000

Rinput: Yes

Any suggestions on what to try/change?

Any response welcome, thanks very much

ASBO

1) As Blade has already written, in older games higher DPI settings on a mouse than was custom at the time of the game engine's release can sometimes result in weird behavior like negative acceleration. Afaik in ET: Legacy you do not have that problem but if you want to be on the safe side you could lower your DPI to 800 or 400 and increase the ingame sensitivity correspondingly. The disadvantage of lower DPI paired with higher ingame sens vs higher DPI with lower ingame sens is that you have a slight but negligible increase in input lag.

2) I wouldn't say that a lower sensitivity is advantageous over a higher sensitivity and that it depends on the game. The challenging part of ET's aim is not so much that you have to be all too precise (the hitboxes are generously large - even in ET Pro - and moving targets have lagging hitboxes) but that you have to be able to track relatively fast moving targets (at least by modern gaming standards). A higher ingame sensitivity makes this easier, especially if the opponent is good at juking (constantly changing strafing direction).

3) Simply put, the higher the polling rate the better. I have two different PC setups that I use, one with a Razer Deathadder with a 1,000 Hz polling rate, one with a Razer Viper with a polling rate of 8,000 Hz and mouse movement with the Viper is considerably more fluid than with the Deathadder. Only drawback is that, as Blade already has written, higher polling rates can tax your CPU quite a lot. On the setup with the Viper I have an AMD Ryzen 5950X and the Viper alone at 8k Hz uses up a core.

Many people swear on lowering the mouse pitch compared to mouse yaw (m_pitch and m_yaw, both default at 0.022) as this deforms your "aiming circle" to an ellipse and makes it easier to keep the cross hair on head level. Personally I can't play that way and it comes with drawbacks in vertical combat (as you will have to move the mouse a lot more on the y-axis than you would at default settings) but you can try it out. You can also achieve the same effect by setting different DPI settings for the x- and the y-axis in your mouse driver.

What I can recommend in general is trying to use the same or at least similar mouse settings across different games as it will train your muscle memory. A site that helps a lot with that purpose is https://www.mouse-sensitivity.com/ with its sensitivity calculator.

• Thanks 1
  • 100 2

Thank everyone! 😄 

I think ill leave it with a high DPI as it feels smoother for me and i use legacy; and stop using rinput then and just mess about with my sensitivity as @DeKing said! Ill leave the high polling rate also as i think my CPU should be able to handle it from what both @bLade. and @Lt Steiner said!

I have tried the lower m_pitch but that just doesn't work for me at all!

Ill just have to set my settings as above and plays lots to get back to normal I guess

Thanks again

• 100 1

If you would prefer to try using a higher mouse DPI setting but the mouse it moving like its possessed you can actually add an extra 0 to the following.

seta m_pitch "0.0151" 
seta m_yaw "0.020"

They would then become 

seta m_pitch "0.00151"
seta m_yaw "0.0020"

Please note though that these setting use to be restricted by PB but since PB isn't used any more you can use the added 0 on FA servers. 

Some other clan servers may still restrict the m_pitch and m_yaw settings to PB default restrictions though, those servers wont kick or ban you for using the extra 0 but will force the cvar restrictions to PB restrictions...... meaning your mouse movements will be super, super sensitive until you remove the extra 0.

As for mouse settings in general??

Well its totally a personal choice i think, i use low sense and low DPI

My basic settings

DPI is currently set to x:500 y:450 and in game sense of 0.7 (currently have a good 1:1 ratio)

FOV 106

Res 2560 x 1440

Been a few years since i altered anything ET wise but MarkC has a good 1:1 fix, plus the download comes with mouse movement recorder so you can check your actually getting a true 1:1 ratio.

Download the following and read the !MarkC_Windows_10+8.x+7_MouseFix_ReadMe.txt first and go from there

The MarkC Windows 10 + 8.1 + 8 + 7 Mouse Acceleration Fix Download

Edited by Snuffs99
  • Thanks 1

@Snuffs99 This is all amazing stuff! thanks so much ill give it proper look later!

I honestly have no idea how people play with such low sense and DPI though and have such great accuracy though 😂

• Platinum VIP
20 hours ago, Snuffs99 said:

Please note though that these setting use to be restricted by PB but since PB isn't used any more you can use the added 0 on FA servers. 

Not on all of them. ETPro and I think N!tmod will allow the extra 0 in m_Pitch but not in M_yaw. I used 0. 00151 and 0.0020 for a long time on Jay 1 and Jay 2 because my mouse just felt a lot smoother but on those other mods, the mouse would be fine up and down but left and right was like using 1,000,000 for Sensitivity.

2 hours ago, -=HipKat=- said:

Not on all of them. ETPro and I think N!tmod will allow the extra 0 in m_Pitch but not in M_yaw. I used 0. 00151 and 0.0020 for a long time on Jay 1 and Jay 2 because my mouse just felt a lot smoother but on those other mods, the mouse would be fine up and down but left and right was like using 1,000,000 for Sensitivity.

Yeah that is the same as it would be on most other servers tbh, allows the pitch but not the yaw meaning your mouse cross hair will fly very very fast when you look up or down.

Overall some say it feels more fluid and smoother....me personally?? never noticed much difference once i've adjusted the mouse sensitivity or DPI to compensate.....but can try none the less.

@ASBO

One thing to note mate is when/if you change a setting you need to give it a little while to get used to before you go changing everything again and again, you cant expect a setting to suddenly make your aim better, as with most things it all takes time and practice.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, ASBO said:

I honestly have no idea how people play with such low sense and DPI though and have such great accuracy though 😂

They usually have a very large mousepad and know how far they need to move the mouse to turn 45/90 degrees etc.

I could never get used to low sensitivity myself, seems like a lot of unneeded effort to move the mouse. I play at 1600 DPI, 5 sens on 800x600 res. It's worked for me the past few years and I know just how much I need to move the mouse to do sick 360s 😄 

I wouldn't mess about with m_ cvars as going back to Windows or other games would feel alien to me. I think people have m_pitch set up so that when they move the mouse in the y direction it will 'feel' like it takes as long to move in the x direction. If that's what Cheepheep told me ages ago? 

Just find whatever works for you and build off that, it's what I did when I left everything default. Learn how far you need to move the mouse to turn x amount of degrees and it becomes second nature.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • 100 1

@ASBO

Have a read of the following thread it has lots of good info in it and is still relevant.

Check out the aiming by Raziel stuff mentioned then set your own mouse etc how it works and feels for you. You will have a greater understanding and be able to set your mouse and settings that suit your needs etc.

Again though any changes you do make just make sure you give them time enough to get used to etc

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

19 hours ago, ElEl said:

I play at 1600 DPI, 5 sens on 800x600 res. It's worked for me the past few years and I know just how much I need to move the mouse to do sick 360s 😄 

That is mad! You must have some serious mouse/wrist control i would be shooting the sky with those settings 😂

• Haha 1