Mouse stutter/jitter.

HarryAimpotter

I have weird mouse stutter/jitter when moving mouse and strafing left-right.
The problem only occurs with Vanilla ET and never with ETLegacy.
It always exists when starting local server and sometimes when joining online servers (Jay1, Silent).

Mouse/keyboard works fine. Other games work fine.
I use same config and Nvidia settings on both (Vanilla and Legacy). I have also tried different configs, default config, messed around with Nvidia settings, G-Sync on/off etc and ET settings (R_displayrefresh 120
com_maxfps 125, r_swapinterval 0)

So far I don't know the cause of this jerky graphics.

I attached video to better describe what I mean. In first clip the doorframe moves left-right not smoothly, its like my mouse is skipping. In other clip everything is smooth and no skipping.

Edited by HarryAimpotter

• Platinum VIP

Do you experience the same problem on a fresh installation? (checking for lingering cvars or even pk3s)

I've looked at this for a while and don't have an answer.

For those (like me) who had trouble seeing it: set the resolution on the video to maximum and the playback to half speed. It looks (to me) like the texture on that wall is sliding back and forth instead of staying put.

It's seem to be some kind of rendering glitch and seems unlikely to have anything to do with cl_maxpackets or mouse settings. Since ETLegacy has stripped out and changed some of the rendering cvars that probably explains the difference with vanilla ET. However, that it only happens sometimes in online but always in offline is baffling.

To get good results with texture mapping in older hardware/OpenGL engines you typically needed square, power of two sized textures, like 128x128 or 256x256. That is no longer required with most new game engines and I vaguely remember reading that was fixed in ETLegacy as well just by letting the engine check if the graphics hardware can handle non-power of two textures. There is a cvar in vanilla ET, r_roundImagesDown, that determines what to the engine does when it loads a map with a non-power of two texture. Messing with that on my system in vanilla ET just causes a crash. It's possible that the wall textures are being resampled/downscaled in a way the map maker/remaker didn't understand, anticipate, or fully test.

You may also want to play around with r_textureMode, r_picmip, and r_textureBits but I doubt it will make a difference.

I would be surprised if you could find this issue in any of the six original maps that almost certainly use square, power of two textures.

• 2 weeks later...

I have (hopefully had now) similar issue with my mouse, except it stopped working for a sec and sometimes it went offline and had to change usb port.

So I did some googling and it looks like win10 has this stupid way to control usb deviced as default.

Here's a link to disable that, worth to try and this setting is useless anyways, so leave it off even if this doesn't help on your issue.

https://www.howto-connect.com/windows-10-usb-selective-suspend/

• 100 2

What Rendel said. I’ve never done it (kinda skeptical cause my mouse is where i like it now) but lower your /m_pitch and that WILL stop (i had some negative mouse accel/jitter issues) i did test it. 

Edited by bLade.

Thnx everyone for responding but I think I somewhat have the answer.  The problem only occurs with Vanilla ET and original maps as well. I have tested this out with ETe and ETlegacy and there is no jitter. 

Both ETe and ETL use raw mouse input and Vanilla ET does not. My guess is that it has something to do with that. Some other people have the same thing with Vanilla ET. Maybe try it too.