Windows Windows 11

-=HipKat=-

• Platinum VIP

There are work arounds for the TPM Error @Buckwild

This forum has a lot of information about Win 11 and getting it installed

Windows | XDA Forums (xda-developers.com)

• Leader
22 hours ago, Buckwild said:

Oops! My System doesn't have a Trusted Platform Modual.

This is not about Windows 11, and so is a bit :offtopic 

Windows 10 BitLocker

I followed those instructions and found that the tech on my 10yr-old system won't run bitlocker, either...but there is a workaround...

1926454056_TPMnotpresentnobitlocker210818.jpg.c1c9052a5032a99ed6959a130c675313.jpg

Clicking on that Bit Sys Reqs link opens (for me on win10) How to Find Windows 10 Computer Specifications & Systems Requirements and 1/2 way done the page is:

Feature-specific requirements for Windows 10

• BitLocker Drive Encryption (available with Windows 10 Pro or Windows 10 Enterprise only) requires a Trusted Platform Module (TPM) 1.2 or higher and Trusted Computing Group (TCG)-compliant BIOS or UEFI. BitLocker can be used on devices without TPM, but you will need to save a startup key on a removable device such as a USB flash drive. TPM 2.0 and InstantGo support is required when you want to automatically encrypt the local drive when joining a device to Azure Active Directory (AAD). Check with your PC manufacturer to confirm if your device supports the correct TPM version and InstantGo for the scenario you want to enable.
  • BitLocker To Go requires a USB flash drive (available in Windows 10 Pro and Windows 10 Enterprise only).

:hmm I had considered using bitlocker (which is installed on my Win10 Por) to protect sensitive data if my system is ever stolen.

Thanks, @Buckwild and @-=HipKat=- for getting me "off my butt!"  💤

• Like 1

14 hours ago, RedBaird said:

Feature-specific requirements for Windows 10

:hmm I had considered using bitlocker (which is installed on my Win10 Por) to protect sensitive data if my system is ever stolen.

I use Bitlocker on one of my drives that has been moved from machine ot machine and never had an issue with Bitlocker. I used truecrypt years ago and stuck with them but they ended development and the only way to really migrate my stuff from truecrypt was via bitlocker. It works well enough in the whole however for whatever reason Microshaft decided we don't need a "Lock Drive" option via rt-click etc, so once its open it is open till next reboot. You can add the "Lock Drive" option manually easy enough via the registry though.

I've never understood why Microshaft didn't add the option to re lock the drive, its not like its a new issue either (prob 6 + years since Truecrypt vanished).

As for Windows 11, the more i play with it the less i understand why the need for another Windows tbh.

• Thanks 1

• Platinum VIP
11 hours ago, Feint said:

Hello, so hip what build version u download?

I'm on 21H2, Build 22000.132

• Leader
12 hours ago, Snuffs99 said:

As for Windows 11, the more i play with it the less i understand why the need for another Windows tbh.

They may have changed some "internal structures" to enable further changes in the future.  Major changes to the GUI is not a good idea if they are trying to "ease us" from one OS to another. 😄 

I don't use even half of the 'pretty features' in win 10 as it is, given the age of my 2011-ish computer.  

I think that I may have to buy, not build, my next computer.  

(That bit about not being able to lock a drive/partition is very interesting.  :hmm What happens when the user is logged off?) 

1 hour ago, RedBaird said:

(That bit about not being able to lock a drive/partition is very interesting.  :hmm What happens when the user is logged off?) 

Same result, for the normal every day user they have to reboot in order to lock it again, such a stupid thing tbh.

There are a few ways you can relock the drive within Windows but nothing i'd trust a complete noob with. 

You could use cmd prompt or powershell to relock it or you can create a batch and .vbs file like i've done to add the "lock drive" option to the rt-click menu permanently...... More than happy give you a copy of mine if you want them.

Its just baffling that Microshaft still have not added the option tbh.

• 1 month later...

While there are a number of settings which will annoy me - I am gonna pull the trigger and get Windows 11

Available for the general public starting today!

https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/windows-11

Edit: After checking my system requirements, TPM was disabled which would have prevented me from getting Windows 11. For most PCs built after 2012, they should have TPM built in and you just need to enable it (so I have read)

To enable: Go to Bios -> Settings/Peripherals (dependent on Intel or AMD) -> Enable AMD CPU fTPM/Intel Platform Trust Technology (PTT) -> Save and Exit

I then ran PC Health Check to check I met all system requirements and got the green light

• Sad 1

6 hours ago, mraw435 said:

While there are a number of settings which will annoy me - I am gonna pull the trigger and get Windows 11

Available for the general public starting today!

https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/windows-11

Edit: After checking my system requirements, TPM was disabled which would have prevented me from getting Windows 11. For most PCs built after 2012, they should have TPM built in and you just need to enable it (so I have read)

To enable: Go to Bios -> Settings/Peripherals (dependent on Intel or AMD) -> Enable AMD CPU fTPM/Intel Platform Trust Technology (PTT) -> Save and Exit

I then ran PC Health Check to check I met all system requirements and got the green light

My searches sent me to a physical module that i need to add on my motherboard to enable TPM 2.0. My motherboard is 4 years old and doesnt seem to have TPM built in.

Gengis

• Thanks 1

• Leader

I ran across a Windows 11 'preview' from Linus Tech Tips channel on YouTube:  

Windows 11 is bigger than we thought

3,456,151 views *  Aug 25, 2021

I think that I will have to get a new computer to install it.  Windows 10 is supposed to be supported until 2025 so, :hmm  .   

Edited by RedBaird
Win10 End Support date

27 minutes ago, RedBaird said:

I ran across a Windows 11 'preview' from Linus Tech Tips channel on YouTube:  

I think that I will have to get a new computer to install it.  Windows 10 is supposed to be supported until 2025 so, :hmm  .   

I watched this yesterday - amazing sum-up! (my opinion is a tad swayed tho cause I heavily relied on Linus Tech Tips to build my first PC lol)

• Haha 1

• Leader
2 hours ago, mraw435 said:

I watched this yesterday - amazing sum-up! (my opinion is a tad swayed tho cause I heavily relied on Linus Tech Tips to build my first PC lol)

I watch a lot of their videos...and 'dream on'. 😄

• 1 month later...
  • Platinum VIP

I know this is probably a BOT that I'm replying to, but I use Surfshark on all my devices. Win 11 though, has some really messed up VPN settings to where now if I have Surfshark on, it kills my connection to any pages loading, which is completely backwards. It created a new adapter  called Surftunnel????? or something like that, that I had to delete, just so I could actually go to websites

Edited by RedBaird
unhid post, as it does have valid Win11 info
  • Like 1

• Leader

@HipKat I hid your reply to that spambot.  Your reply became :offtopic now that the offending post was "disappeared". 😄 

We can all carry on with discussions about Windows 11. 

I later "unhid" his post, as it does have valid Windows-11 information.  See @HipKat's next post.

Edited by RedBaird
unhid the previous post
  • Like 3

• Platinum VIP
9 hours ago, RedBaird said:

@HipKat I hid your reply to that spambot.  Your reply became :offtopic now that the offending post was "disappeared". 😄 

We can all carry on with discussions about Windows 11. 

Thanks, although in the discussion about Win 11, the issue with VPN's is relevant, I'd say. I haven't had time to really look into it, but I need to find out why turning my VPN on blocks DNS connections. I'm hoping someone else has had this experience and can help or maybe upgrading to Win 11 should be preceded by uninstalling the VPN and reinstalling it after upgrading.

I might try a complete reformat with a fresh install of Win 11 during Thanksgiving Weekend and see how it works out

• Like 1