Windows Windows 11

-=HipKat=-

• Platinum VIP

I downloaded the developer's preview Friday night. So far, I like it. I've found some cool features like adding unlimited virtual desktops, etc BUT one issue. If I disable my VPN, it kills my internet, even though my internet kill switch is off on SurfShark

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Yeah i've had it installed a few weeks myself (on dual boot), the central start was my pet hate as it was like trying to fight nearly 20 years of muscle memory and couldn't help going to the bottom left where it should be, luckily your able to set it to be where it should be so your not fighting your own bodies muscle reflex. 😄

The one feature i am looking forward to is the ability to use apk files without the need of a 3rd party emulator like bstacks or nox so will be keeping an eye out over the next few build releases. Other than that though I'm not overly impressed if truth be told, i think it just looks like a bloated Windows 10 with the widgets etc. the sort of thing you used to do on XP etc with rocketdock to add pretty bars etc etc.

Time will tell, everything i have on my Win10 install is also installed on my Win11 and does work, so at least that is a good start for now. 

• Thanks 2

• Platinum VIP
1 hour ago, Snuffs99 said:

Yeah i've had it installed a few weeks myself (on dual boot), the central start was my pet hate as it was like trying to fight nearly 20 years of muscle memory and couldn't help going to the bottom left where it should be, luckily your able to set it to be where it should be so your not fighting your own bodies muscle reflex. 😄

The one feature i am looking forward to is the ability to use apk files without the need of a 3rd party emulator like bstacks or nox so will be keeping an eye out over the next few build releases. Other than that though I'm not overly impressed if truth be told, i think it just looks like a bloated Windows 10 with the widgets etc. the sort of thing you used to do on XP etc with rocketdock to add pretty bars etc etc.

Time will tell, everything i have on my Win10 install is also installed on my Win11 and does work, so at least that is a good start for now. 

I moved mine to the left and then about 2 days later I moved it back to the center after I figured out how to sort my pinned tiles. The start menu is the thing that pisses me off the most because I used a full page start menu where I grouped everything together like games, tools, graphics, multimedia and so on with all of my frequently used programs in those groups. Not to mention I had everything set to run as administrator and now I have to go back and do that again manually, which I already have to do every time a program updates anyway.

I just wonder if some of the Android apps I'm going to be able to run include apps for theming like kwlp. If I can make my Windows desktop look like my phone desktop, that would be the bomb.

And all the searching in the world has not helped me with this deal I have with my VPN.

Screenshot_20210801-163344.png

Edited by -=HipKat=-

59 minutes ago, -=HipKat=- said:

I moved mine to the left and then about 2 days later I moved it back to the center after I figured out how to sort my pinned tiles. The start menu is the thing that pisses me off the most because I used a full page start menu where I grouped everything together like games, tools, graphics, multimedia and so on with all of my frequently used programs in those groups. Not to mention I had everything set to run as administrator and now I have to go back and do that again manually, which I already have to do every time a program updates anyway.

I just wonder if some of the Android apps I'm going to be able to run include apps for theming like kwlp. If I can make my Windows desktop look like my phone desktop, that would be the bomb.

And all the searching in the world has not helped me with this deal I have with my VPN.

Screenshot_20210801-163344.png

I def relate to the start menu, mines set the same with nice little groups etc. Must be a way to set it the same in 11 so i'll have a gander next time i'm on that OS

VPN wise you could try and turn IPv6 off in your network card properties (just untick the box), leave the VPN virtual card alone at first and just do your normal network card, if it still does the same thing then turn IPv6 off on your VPN virtual card too and try again. 

I know some VPN's don't like it being on so worth a try. 

Edited by Snuffs99

• Platinum VIP
Just now, Snuffs99 said:

I def relate to the start menu, mines set the same with nice little groups etc. Must be a way to set it the same in 11 so i'll have a gander next time i'm on that OS

VPN wise you could try and turn IPv6 in your network card properties (just untick the box), leave the VPN virtual card alone at first and just do your normal network card, if it still does the same thing then turn IPv6 off on your VPN virtual card too and try again. 

I know some VPN's don't like it being on so worth a try. 

I'll give that a shot when I get back to my computer. Just seems weird because it's not an issue on any other operating system, on any other platform

Yeah tbf though Win11 is beta so its not going to be perfect.

I'l have a play tonight and see if my cyberghost does the same, or not, will let you know.

Just quickly looking my IPv4 is already off on my ethernet card under win11.

One major bug i have is system processes by the clock you have to allow 1 by 1 in win 11 settings otherwise they go into the overflow where you have to click the tick to show what else is running

overflow.jpg

Under windows 10 you can simply turn on the show all option

Screenshot-2021-08-01-231334.jpg

I like to see what is running at all times so the idea of adding each program 1 by 1 is going to get annoying

Edited by Snuffs99

• Platinum VIP

You and I are on the same page there because I find that also very annoying. Plus and I'm not there to take a screenshot but there's a graphic glitch in the systray where the clock and calendar are about half a line lower and partially obscured under the bottom of the screen

• 100 1

14 minutes ago, -=HipKat=- said:

You and I are on the same page there because I find that also very annoying. Plus and I'm not there to take a screenshot but there's a graphic glitch in the systray where the clock and calendar are about half a line lower and partially obscured under the bottom of the screen

I don't have that issues, all shows fine for me.

clock.jpg

5 hours ago, -=HipKat=- said:

I downloaded the developer's preview Friday night. So far, I like it. I've found some cool features like adding unlimited virtual desktops, 

Just remembered this, was going to say the following but got carried away on other things.

You know you can also have as many virtual desktops as you want on win10 right?

If you click on taskview button on the taskbar by the search icon/box you can add as many as you like. 

If you don't have taskview already on your taskbar then rt-click the taskbar and enable Show Task View Button. When you click the button you then have the option at the top to have as many desktops as you like.

• Platinum VIP
9 hours ago, Snuffs99 said:

Just remembered this, was going to say the following but got carried away on other things.

You know you can also have as many virtual desktops as you want on win10 right?

If you click on taskview button on the taskbar by the search icon/box you can add as many as you like. 

If you don't have taskview already on your taskbar then rt-click the taskbar and enable Show Task View Button. When you click the button you then have the option at the top to have as many desktops as you like.

I think I might have known that but just never used it.

I figured out my systray glitch - I did a regedit edit to make the taskbar buttons smaller

image.thumb.png.0592da21bfd579d473956c501e95672b.png

So, looking at my Network Connections, this is weird. I have 2 networks in here. One is called HipKat, which is a mesh network with 3 Mesh ROuters hard wired to a Switch. The other is another Mesh Network for just WiFi for devices I keep off my Primary Network called HipKat02. My Computers is connected via Ethernet to one of the HipKat routers.

So what the HECK is this?? 

image.thumb.png.237bb6b1e8d8526633ea65a3cef0eeec.png

My two Laptops are connected via Ethernet to the same switch as my Desktop and show HipKat as the Network they're connected to

The Bluetooth connection is a Windows feature to allow you to connect to bluetooth devices etc.

Ethernet is your HipKat02 network adaptor you use to connect to router and ISP with.

Ethernet 2 is your VPNs virtual network card that is used when your connected through your VPNs software.

IKEv2-surfshark WAN Minport is also a virtual card that would be used if you setup a manual VPN connection using IKEv2 on windows protocols. 

All fine and normal. You could probably remove or hide the network adaptors you are never going to use but not much point unless you sit there staring at the Network card settings page.  😄

Regarding the network name change from HipKat network on your other Laptops, this is all client end..

You can change the name of the ethernet easy enough. 

In the search box by start search secpol.msc and then open the app it finds, once open click network list manager policies in the left pane and in the right under All networks it will show all your networks, double clicking them will tell you what they are called and allow you to edit the names.

Edited by Snuffs99

• Platinum VIP
1 hour ago, Snuffs99 said:

The Bluetooth connection is a Windows feature to allow you to connect to bluetooth devices etc.

Ethernet is your HipKat02 network you connect to router and ISP with.

Ethernet 2 is your VPNs virtual network card that is used when your connected through your VPNs software.

IKEv2-surfshark WAN Minport is also a virtual card that would be used if you setup a manual VPN connection using IKEv2 on windows protocols. 

All fine and normal. You could probably remove or hide the network ones you are never going to use but not much point unless you sit there staring at the Network card settings page.  😄

Regarding the network name change from HipKat network on your other Laptops, this is all client end..

You can change the name easy enough. 

In the search box by start search secpol.msc and then open the app it finds, once open click network list manager policies in the left pane and in the right under All networks it will show all your networks, double clicking them will tell you what they are called and allow you to edit the names.

Not normal. My Network name is HipKat, not HipKat02. On my laptop, it's normal, when I check the Adapter settings, connected to the same 4 port switch.

I talked to SurfShark Cust Svc today who had me use a manual DNS on the IP4 connection. I'm in the middle of something so I can't disconnect yet to test it

4 hours ago, -=HipKat=- said:

Not normal. My Network name is HipKat, not HipKat02. On my laptop, it's normal, when I check the Adapter settings, connected to the same 4 port switch.

**EDIT

After rethinking this I think we are lost in translation. 

Your SSID network (wireless network) maybe HipKat but the name of your ethernet adaptor is HipKat02. They are totally different things.

When you're connected via ethernet to a network (certainly a home one) you don't need a name, user and password as your connected to the router directly via cable so you effectively bypass the name, user and password.

So even on your laptops if connected via cable the adaptor being called HipKat has no baring on the wifi network name. You can change the ethernet adaptor name to whatever you like but people will still see your wifi network as HipKat on their phones etc.

Least i think that is where we are misunderstanding one another. 😄

EDIT***

Setting up a manual connection with surfshark explains the Miniport.

Edited by Snuffs99
  • Thanks 1

• Platinum VIP
8 hours ago, Snuffs99 said:

**EDIT

After rethinking this I think we are lost in translation. 

Your SSID network (wireless network) maybe HipKat but the name of your ethernet adaptor is HipKat02. They are totally different things.

When you're connected via ethernet to a network (certainly a home one) you don't need a name, user and password as your connected to the router directly via cable so you effectively bypass the name, user and password.

So even on your laptops if connected via cable the adaptor being called HipKat has no baring on the wifi network name. You can change the ethernet adaptor name to whatever you like but people will still see your wifi network as HipKat on their phones etc.

That makes sense. The Miniport, BT, et al, I knew what those are.

Anyway, changing that DNS didn't work.

It's very odd. If I disable the VPN, I lose internet. Although the connect icon in the Systray shows connected.

If I try to re-enable the VPN, it won't connect and I have to reboot.

I'm guessing it's a Win 11 glitch, although this weekend, I'll uninstall SurfShark and try reinstalling or live with it until the final release of Win 11 comes out and just burn the ISO and reformat.

This is why I hate doing OS upgrades over older versions

Edited by -=HipKat=-
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

I downloaded Win11 Preview ISO from UUP dump,

Burned to DVD 4.7 GB

I will install later on a separate HD

Oops! My System doesn't have a Trusted Platform Modual.

https://www.windowscentral.com/how-check-if-your-pc-has-trusted-platform-module-tpm

I am planning to build a 4 K Computer...

lN7eVEc.jpg

Edited by Buckwild
  • Thanks 1