Windows Windows 11

-=HipKat=-

• Leader
9 hours ago, -=HipKat=- said:

in the discussion about Win 11, the issue with VPN's is relevant

That IS a valid on_topic post! 😄 

Can I presume that you had already un- & re-installed the VPN?  

Now I am wondering if that VPN is rated 'ready for windows 11' ? :hmm (or is that a security 'feature' of Win11?) 

That made me realize that I have no idea what DNS my VPN might be using when I run it.  If you have Opera, you could see how well its VPN is doing under Win11.  The Opera one only seems to affect itself and does not reset the Internet connection of the whole system.  :hmm 

• Leader
On 11/15/2021 at 4:13 AM, -=HipKat=- said:

I know this is probably a BOT that I'm replying to, but I use Surfshark on all my devices. Win 11 though, has some really messed up VPN settings to where now if I have Surfshark on, it kills my connection to any pages loading, which is completely backwards. It created a new adapter  called Surftunnel????? or something like that, that I had to delete, just so I could actually go to websites

You are not the only one to have this problem.  The link below leads to an update-the-VPN solution:   (it is to Reddit and the link appears to act oddly here.  Click on the white splotch and you will be taken to the topic).

• Like 1

• Platinum VIP

@RedBaird that Reddit post is the problem I originally had and then I went into my network adapters and saw there was a new adapter called surf tunnel or something like that and I realized that Windows 11 had created and adapter using my VPN and whenever I would disconnect my vpn, just like the guy in that post I would lose my DNS connection. Well I removed that adapter and now it's just the opposite, if I enable my vpn, now I lose my DNS connection.

I have not tried to uninstall it and reinstall it but only because I'm a little fearful of what it's going to do LOL. I think moving forward though anybody who runs a VPN that wants to update to Windows 11 should uninstall the VPN first and when I get home from work tonight I will try doing that, uninstalling it and then reinstalling it to see what happens

• Haha 1

• Leader
1 hour ago, -=HipKat=- said:

see what happens

A respondent had replied with :

But last night, I updated my VPN from surfshark website. I believe it's V 3.1.0.

No more issue since yesterday.

Which led me to believe that the VPN version that could run well under Win10 and restore the normal configuration upon termination, could not do so under Win11, possibly because the method of restoration had been changed.  

The paid-for and free VPNs that I use also create software network adaptors.

• Platinum VIP

@RedBaird

That could be, I never paid attention before, but I did update SS to the newest versions

Edited by -=HipKat=-

• 4 weeks later...

Latest updates for Win11

https://www.tomshardware.com/news/microsoft-fixes-write-speed-problems-in-windows-11

Summary 

• Fixes write speed issues
  • Updates an issue that causes Internet Explorer to stop working when you copy and paste text while using the Input Method Editor (IME).
  • Updates an issue that prevents the display of File Explorer and desktop shortcut menus. This issue often occurs when you choose to use a single click to open an item.
  • Improves the animation performance of icons on the taskbar.
  • Updates an issue that causes File Explorer to stop working after you close a File Explorer window.
  • Updates an issue that causes flickering when you hover over icons on the taskbar; this issue occurs if you’ve applied a high contrast theme.
  • Updates an issue that, under certain conditions, prevents the keyboard focus rectangle from being visible when you use Task View, Alt-Tab, or Snap Assist.
  • Updates an issue that might cause a temporary loss of audio on your device.
  • Updates all emoji from the Segoe UI Emoji font to the Fluent 2D emoji style
Edited by mraw435

• 4 weeks later...

Windows Vista-like gadgets to return

Microsoft isn’t just looking at its past to fix mistakes – it seems it’s also taking inspiration from them, as Windows Latest also reports that Windows 11 could see the return of Windows Vista-like gadgets.

It’s no secret that Windows Vista was one of the more unpopular versions of the operating system, so it seems slightly surprising that Microsoft would take any of its features for inspiration for Windows 11.

That’s especially true of gadgets. These were basic apps that you could pin to the desktop and display various information, such as your email inbox. Third party companies were also encouraged to create their own gadgets, which some of them did at first.

However, not only did Windows Vista prove to be unpopular, but its gadgets feature was even more unloved, leading to many companies to abandon support for them.

However, sources have indicated to Windows Latest that Microsoft is planning to return to this idea – but with some key changes. Apparently, they will now be called widgets, and will only be shown in Windows 11’s widget board, and won’t be added to the desktop.

At the moment, the widget board only contains Microsoft-made widgets, so allowing third party support could see widgets become more useful.

There is a risk, however, of history repeating itself. Microsoft needs to ensure that users find widgets useful. If they don’t use them, then third party companies won’t bother making them.

While keeping widgets to the widget board will mean user’s desktops don’t become cluttered, it could also just mean widgets are hidden out of sight. If you don’t use the widget board regularly (and we’d guess most users currently don’t), then you may forget they are even there, limiting how useful they actually are.

What Microsoft doesn’t want to do is add yet another feature to Windows 11 that no one uses. Let’s hope this isn’t the case.

• Platinum VIP
9 hours ago, mraw435 said:

Windows Vista-like gadgets to return

Microsoft isn’t just looking at its past to fix mistakes – it seems it’s also taking inspiration from them, as Windows Latest also reports that Windows 11 could see the return of Windows Vista-like gadgets.

It’s no secret that Windows Vista was one of the more unpopular versions of the operating system, so it seems slightly surprising that Microsoft would take any of its features for inspiration for Windows 11.

That’s especially true of gadgets. These were basic apps that you could pin to the desktop and display various information, such as your email inbox. Third party companies were also encouraged to create their own gadgets, which some of them did at first.

However, not only did Windows Vista prove to be unpopular, but its gadgets feature was even more unloved, leading to many companies to abandon support for them.

However, sources have indicated to Windows Latest that Microsoft is planning to return to this idea – but with some key changes. Apparently, they will now be called widgets, and will only be shown in Windows 11’s widget board, and won’t be added to the desktop.

At the moment, the widget board only contains Microsoft-made widgets, so allowing third party support could see widgets become more useful.

There is a risk, however, of history repeating itself. Microsoft needs to ensure that users find widgets useful. If they don’t use them, then third party companies won’t bother making them.

While keeping widgets to the widget board will mean user’s desktops don’t become cluttered, it could also just mean widgets are hidden out of sight. If you don’t use the widget board regularly (and we’d guess most users currently don’t), then you may forget they are even there, limiting how useful they actually are.

What Microsoft doesn’t want to do is add yet another feature to Windows 11 that no one uses. Let’s hope this isn’t the case.

Why does this read like Widgets are some new term and concept?? lol

• Haha 1

• 2 months later...
  • Platinum VIP

The newest Insider Preview sucks in a few ways. I have to re-edit the Registry files to get smaller icons back, and Systray Icons are no longer able to be reordered manually

• Surprise 1

14 hours ago, -=HipKat=- said:

The newest Insider Preview sucks in a few ways. I have to re-edit the Registry files to get smaller icons back, and Systray Icons are no longer able to be reordered manually

unnecessary restrictions 😕 

i like how they worded it that you can "hide or unhide" certain icons, listing it as a "fix"! 

• Platinum VIP
9 hours ago, mraw435 said:

unnecessary restrictions 😕 

i like how they worded it that you can "hide or unhide" certain icons, listing it as a "fix"! 

It doesn't really hide them. It puts them in a Hidden Menu that you can't even hide when there's nothing in it. Even if you unhide every Icon ion the Systray, this stupid drop down stays there.

Untitled.jpg

Edited by -=HipKat=-

Is Windows 11 actually worth getting, my PC is ready to do the update but reading various things around the internet, have made not click the update button.

So what's good and bad about it, if someone could be kind enough to explain it. Thanks.

58 minutes ago, Valk said:

Is Windows 11 actually worth getting, my PC is ready to do the update but reading various things around the internet, have made not click the update button.

So what's good and bad about it, if someone could be kind enough to explain it. Thanks.

Windows 11 just runs smoothly on my machine.

But keep in mind that there are some rumors.

Trusted Platform Module (TPM)   Version 2.0 is needed.

In future versions of windows 11 or wtf you will have to have an onlineaccount just to install it. Like on Apple machines.

Besides the Data eating beast windows 10 and 11 are already.

I took a  try on Linux MX AVEdition lately cause i am making music and there is a possibility to use VST3 plugins which are natively windows exe's.

But for sure something like Linux Mint or Ubuntu or MX is a good choice.

You can play ET on them very easy.

Just keep in mind that it's not just a double click to install it.

You can use the most common applications or free open source clones of them preinstalled.

Windows sucks! The future for thinking peeps is Linux.

But i am no expert yet 😉

Peace out!

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, d1SroOt said:

Windows 11 just runs smoothly on my machine.

But keep in mind that there are some rumors.

Trusted Platform Module (TPM)   Version 2.0 is needed.

In future versions of windows 11 or wtf you will have to have an onlineaccount just to install it. Like on Apple machines.

Besides the Data eating beast windows 10 and 11 are already.

I took a  try on Linux MX AVEdition lately cause i am making music and there is a possibility to use VST3 plugins which are natively windows exe's.

But for sure something like Linux Mint or Ubuntu or MX is a good choice.

You can play ET on them very easy.

Just keep in mind that it's not just a double click to install it.

You can use the most common applications or free open source clones of them preinstalled.

Windows sucks! The future for thinking peeps is Linux.

But i am no expert yet 😉

Peace out!

I will wait and see then, or wait until you're that expert for me to decide 😄